Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • What frame to get?
  • maxiimillion
    Free Member

I want to get a new frame that will climb well yet descend very very well. I was thinking of a nuke proof mega, do u think it will do the job?
    I would probs put 160mm of travel on the front but dont want to spend a fortune, any suggestions?

andrewh
    Free Member

These would be choices for this.
    Not sure how much a fortune is, but in my experiance a good second hand bike is better than a same price new bike, so if over budget look for a used one.

flow
    Free Member

maxiimillion
    Free Member

I like the alpine 160 but i think the frames a bit to expensive which i why the nuke proof mega frame swings it for me at about £850 but don’t know if it will do the job. I also cant decide to put either rock shox lyrics on the front or some fox 36s?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Just got back from a week in Morzine on my newly built mega (with 160 lyriks.) Was very impressed by it on the downs, gave me the confidence to ride steep rocky rooty black DH runs. Did a couple of the enduro trails too and it seemed to handle the ups well, seated or out the saddle efforts were fine.

I don’t have much experience on longer travel bikes so can’t give any real comparisons. The rear doesn’t feel the plushest (maybe that will change as the shock loosenes up) but coming from short travel bikes the way it rides feels great to me. Am very pleased indeed with it.

Would say it’s definitely worth considering.

EDIT: by the way, you ask if it will be “up to the job”. What sort of riding do you have in mind? Uk trails? Trail centres? Alpine trips? Mega avalanche?

maxiimillion
    Free Member

cheers i will consider 🙂 just wondering which lyrics u put on it?

Only on STW would someone ask for a bike that climbs well and the first reply suggests a Marin Quake…. 😉

mrblobby
    Free Member

I went for the 2 step one. Merlin were doing a good deal at the time. Only time I’ve used the travel adjust so far has been to get it to fit in the bike bag! If I was getting one now I’d probably go for the solo air.

maxiimillion
    Free Member

Isn’t the adjustable travel useful for the climbs? The 115-160mm lyric?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Yes, but never felt the need to use it.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘What frame to get?’ is closed to new replies.