Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • New Forx
  • Milkie
    Free Member

I think its time to upgrade my forks!

They are old, they looked like these before I re-sprayed them:

Well close, SID's Carbon steerer, blackbox, etc.

Thinking of upgrading to SID Team 2010, Merlin are doing them for £386, are they worth it? Will they put a smile on my face?

They are also doing the Reba Team for £305, which is also tempting…

Pook

what are you doing with the old ones?

wwaswas

there will be a queue for the old ones, can I join it please – email in profile.

solarider
    Free Member

Go for the new SIDs. Great forks at a great price. Massive difference to your flexy old ones. If they are replacing the old SIDs, Rebas are probably too long and will jack up the front end and make your steering slower.

Milkie
    Free Member

there will be a queue for the old ones

Oh god!! Really!? I know they are what the weightweenies want, they are the lightest about, but is that the only reason?

Friend has first offer on them, then they will going/gone on hear I guess! 180mm Carbon Steerer, in a maroon'y red fleck sorta colour.

Are the new ones @ £386 good? any better deals around?

Rebas are probably too long and will jack up the front end and make your steering slower.

Ah yes, Kona Kula Deluxe here, don't want the steering any slower!

joolsburger
    Free Member

Magura race forks are stiffer and lighter.

IMHO.

solarider
    Free Member

£386 is a good price. Got mine from Merlin (think they were a bit cheaper at the time, but £386 is still a good price) and have been very pleased. The Merlin forks are OEM and the steerer has already been trimmed a tiny bit and a star fangled nut installed. I have a long steerer and fitting them was a bit touch and go, but at 180mm, your steerer length is fine.

Definitely go for the Teams. you can pick up Races for less, but the damping isn't as good.

Milkie
    Free Member

The Merlin forks are OEM

Is there much of a difference between OEM and retail versions?

chakaping
    Free Member

Are the Reba Teams much heavier? They are great forks anyway, I've got one.

I put my old 2004 Sid on eBay and it went for much more than I was expecting. Well over £100, probably closer to £150.

Milkie
    Free Member

Are the Reba Teams much heavier?

300g ish I think.

I put my old 2004 Sid on eBay and it went for much more than I was expecting. Well over £100, probably closer to £150.

Maybe I'll definately go for the SIDS then!

solarider
    Free Member

OEM kit is sometimes down-spec'd in areas you can't see, but these particular forks aren't. They are supplied to Merlin I am guessing on the understanding that they are to be used on Merlin and Rock Lobster builds, but it's fairly common practice to be able to buy OEM stuff aftermarket, and a lot of Merlin's deals are done this way.

The only sign that they are OEM is that the steerer has been trimmed already (but still plenty long enough for you), and they don't come in a box.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘New Forx’ is closed to new replies.