Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)
  • New Forth Road Bridge
  • yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Means the old one is so quiet!

Quite tempted to cycle down the carriageway on the way home, though wonder if there will be flashing orange lights waiting for me!

fasthaggis

I think that there probably would be,still tempting though 🙂

edit{ was there nae busses using it then?} edit

bikebouy
    Free Member

Pull a wheelie all the way across…

GrahamS

Am I correct in remembering that the new crossing doesn’t have any cycle or pedestrian facilities on it?

Seems a bit of a step backwards that, compared to the old one with a pretty decent (for the UK) pedestrian/cycleway on each side.

I realise the old one isn’t going anywhere just yet, but still… 🙁

joshvegas
    Free Member

fasthaggis – Member
    I think that there probably would be,still tempting though

edit{ was there nae busses using it then?} edit

Think that happens later. Initially closed to all traffic except bike and foot.

km79
    Free Member

New bridge is a motorway, cant have cyclists or pedestrians on it, old one isn’t.

NZCol

Seems a bit of a step backwards that, compared to the old one with a pretty decent (for the UK) pedestrian/cycleway on each side.

yep and it still will and will be open for use for exactly those purposes !

jamiep
    Free Member

the new one has been classified a motorway so they don’t have to make ped/cycle provision, rather than vice versa. There is no intrinsic requirement for motorwaying it. Hrmph

GrahamS

New bridge is a motorway, cant have cyclists or pedestrians on it, old one isn’t.

The old one is dual carriageway A(M)-style, the pedestrian/cycle provision is entirely separate from the roadway, as it could have been on the new one if they’d cared to plan for it.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

the new one has been classified a motorway so they don’t have to make ped/cycle provision, rather than vice versa. There is no intrinsic requirement for motorwaying it. Hrmph

Hrmmph indeed, imagine having a separate bridge (which was already there) for cyclists and pedestrians. Should have spent millions on knocking the old bridge down and adding more cost to the new bridge by adding dedicated cycling/pedestrian access in a position where they can take full advantage of the health-giving benefits of diesel and petrol fumes.
    EDIT – my mistake, the old bridge will become a “public transport corridor” so buses, bikes and pedestrians still use it. So still some diesel fumes to deal with

GrahamS

BBSB: that’s fine as long as they commit to keeping the old bridge open and in a state of good repair.

How many years before it becomes “uneconomical” to have a bridge that size just for buses and bike/foot traffic?

km79
    Free Member

The old one is dual carriageway A(M)-style, the pedestrian/cycle provision is entirely separate from the roadway, as it could have been on the new one if they’d cared to plan for it.

Why would they pay extra when there is a perfectly good bridge right next to it that cyclists and pedestrians can use? What next, modify the rail bridge?

scotroutes

The old one is also being kept so that it can be used when there is maintenance on the new one.

andytherocketeer

That’s what I thought – old bridge to be bike+bus etc. bridge until it rusts too much.

Odd about the opening of the new one too. Open it, close it so they can do a walk on the new bridge, close it again for an opening ceremony, open it again, close it again. Then open it properly.

Can’t they just have the sponsored walks and opening ceremonies on the same day, and then open it to traffic? Or was the beeb story a bit misleading?

ElShalimo

I’m sure the old one will get used when there are crashes/accidents/incidents on the new one

GrahamS

Why would they pay extra when there is a perfectly good bridge right next to it that cyclists and pedestrians can use?

Because, as anyone who has had the “road tax” argument knows, we ALL pay for roads (and bridges), including cyclists and pedestrians.

The current situation is fine, but fast-forward a decade or two and people will be questioning why they are paying so much money keeping an ageing second bridge open and maintained just for buses and cyclist/pedestrians.

FuzzyWuzzy

I always thought this with Second Severn Crossing (the old one even though also a motorway has a segregated pedestrian/bike path but the new one doesn’t). For the SSC I can only assume that it’s because after the bridge (Welsh side) there’s still only motorway for quite a way so they wouldn’t have had a simple connection – maybe that’s the case for the new Forth bridge? If not then it’s a stupid design decision not to have a bike/pedestrian path.

fasthaggis

…and the prize for the first breakdown goes to..
    An HGV

🙄

scotroutes

an ageing second bridge open and maintained just for buses and cyclist/pedestrians.

and as contingency for closures on the new bridge.

rs
    Free Member

I’m sure I read it originally had pedestrian and cycling provision, but was cut to save money. When I first saw that walk the bridge thing I was surprised they were making such a big deal that this is your one and only chance to cross on foot, like it was a good thing they left paths at the side out. As above, if they keep the other bridge open then fine, but bridges don’t last forever.

GrahamS

contingency for closures on the new bridge

I wonder how many other places keep a spare bridge handy just in case 😆

IME a good percentage of the closures of the old bridge were due to high winds and bad weather anyway.

bencooper
    Free Member

That’s what I thought – old bridge to be bike+bus etc. bridge until it rusts too much.

Actually, this means they can repair the old bridge properly, instead of a rushed bodge (a very good bodge, mind) because it had to be reopened ASAP.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

The new bridge has no cycling/ped infrastructure cause it doesn’t go anywhere near towns, villages, inhabited or anything else type areas.

FRB – links two towns South and North Q’Ferry.
    QFXing – takes a spur off the M90 and links to the M9. Why would you want to walk or cycle there?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Isn’t it the case the new one has side wind protection so speeds can be higher.

Love the moan about the breakdown 🙄

I wonder what’ll happen to a high sided vehicle in crosswinds.

piemonster

Would it be foolish to assume the new bridge will outlast the old bridge?

fasthaggis

Actually, this means they can repair the old bridge properly, instead of a rushed bodge (a very good bodge, mind) because it had to be reopened ASAP.

..and they plan to increase the life of the old bridge by removing all those padlocks 😉

Northwind

Also the old bridge’s lifespan’s increased massively by reducing the load on it, one of the reasons it needed replacement was that it was way way over its planned capacity (the cable corrosion I think has actually been solved?).

The new bridge should outlast the old though so there’s still going to be a gap in the future. Or maybe we’ll all just teleport over by then.

Heh, just made the mistake of reading the Scotsman comments section on this 🙂

duckman

Can I just be the first to say “bloody SNP!” I am sure it will appear at some point. Rumour is that they are keeping two bridges to facilitate the return of Fifers before dark as smoothly as possible.

fasthaggis

The Return Of Fifers Before Dark
    Good movie title right there 😛

Edukator
    Free Member

There’s a bridge from Denmark to Sweeden where cyclists have to take the train as there is no cycleway.

km79
    Free Member

The current situation is fine, but fast-forward a decade or two and people will be questioning why they are paying so much money keeping an ageing second bridge open and maintained just for buses and cyclist/pedestrians.

The maintenance costs for the exisiting bridge will reduce dramatically once there is limited traffic on it. It will be the same maintenance staff/operating company covering both road bridges so probably not much of an overall increase in costs between running one massively overused bridge and two within capacity.

Northwind

Edukator – Reformed Troll

There’s a bridge from Denmark to Sweeden where cyclists have to take the train as there is no cycleway.

And tbh, that could make a lot of sense here too- a shuttle from civilisation to civilisation, rather than a huge loop through nowhere.

bencooper
    Free Member

Isn’t it the case the new one has side wind protection so speeds can be higher.

So won’t need this NSFW warning sign so often 😀

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

they just don’t build them like they used to, 127 years since the Forth rail bridge was completed

13thfloormonk

There were high hopes in Kirkliston that the opening of the new bridge and associated infrastructure might ease the chronic congestion we seem to experience as all of Fife uses the village as a rat run to West Lothian.

Traffic conditions as of 3pm this afternoon – Backed up as far as the eye can see… 🙄

fasthaggis

Aye,but it gives the kids of Cheesetoon something to watch at the crossroads. 😉

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

If the new one is a motorway, how do learner drivers cross the Forth?

rs
    Free Member

Traffic conditions as of 3pm this afternoon – Backed up as far as the eye can see…

Induced demand… make it easier for people to travel by car and more will.

ChrisL

yourguitarhero – Member
    If the new one is a motorway, how do learner drivers cross the Forth?

From some time in 2018, learner drivers (in dual control cars with a qualified instructor present) will be able to drive on motorways. Source.

I don’t know about other learners and other vehicles prohibited from driving on motorways. Perhaps mopeds and people being taught to drive by their parents will be allowed onto the old bridge?

Northwind

No reason for a learner in a car to cross the bridge really… Should let ptws onto the old road bridge.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘New Forth Road Bridge’ is closed to new replies.