Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • New forks!
  • MrWoppit
    Free Member

I’ve just committed to getting a pair of Fox Talas 140mm RLC “height-adjust” forks for the Orange 5. Comments (apart from “You’ve got too much money”)?

uplink
    Free Member

You should be able to make a crush washer last for 3 seal services or 2 weeks, whichever comes sooner

MrWoppit
    Free Member

That’s good to know.

What?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    z1ppy

Shoulda bought RS 😈

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Already got original RS Revs (130mm) on an Orange 5. They’re OK, but not good enough. Plus, the “U-Turn” is a pain in the arse.

What’s all this stuff about “crush washers”?

wwaswas

at the foot of each leg under the nut stop oil leaking out – supposed to be replaced each time you do an oil seal service (hence the 3 services/a fortnight comment).

z1ppy

Come on this all academic, you bought the fox already… though you shoulda got some Blackbox 150mm Rev’s (much better than the std moco IMO).
    Also the U-turn has been replaced by the “2 step” system, though personnally I prefer the idea of the U-turn to it (admittedly the fox system is very very good), as I only tend to go down 10mm for climbs or twisty stuff.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Woppit; there’s a huge water main burst near East Croydon so severe delays to train services apparently. Dunno if that affects your journey or not but it took a friend hours to get back to Victoria from Three Bridges just now.

So your travel may be extended.

uplink
    Free Member

Yeah the crush washers ………….

as wwaswas said, you’re supposed to change them every time you do a seal service [every 15hrs] but you can make them last
    It’s about every 2 weeks for me at the moment but I don’t think it really needs it.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

you’re supposed to change them every time you do a seal service

Translate: you’re supposed to change them every time you do a seal service give it to the LBS mechanic…

I ride 2-3 times a month spring, summer and autumn. Rarely in winter.

So your “15” hours is actually “bung it at the LBS once a year”, matey. 8)

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

Seriously, service every 15 hours?

I haven’t serviced my pace 41 fighters for over a year now and they still feel fine

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Thanks for the headsup, Elfin. I’m at home today, but also it’s a different line – I’m Surbiton-Waterloo these days.

Appreciate the thought, though. 8)

Edit: “…travel may be extended”. Oh yes. Ha, and indeed, ha. 😉

foxyrider
    Free Member

No the new ones from 2011 onwards are every 30hours – keep up! 2012 service intervals gone up to 100 hours!

edd

Yeah, 2012 Fox Forx have SKF seals and a 100 hour service interval. The SKF seals can be retrofitted to older forks – thay are about £25.

foxyrider
    Free Member

yeah might get some at some point edd 🙂

uplink
    Free Member

The booklet with my 2012 F29s says ………….

clean and inspect dust wipers – every 15hrs
    Inspect dropout wear – every 30hrs
    Inspect bushings – every 30hrs
    Suspension fluid service – every 30hrs
    Change Float Fluid in air spring chamber – every 30hrs

keep up!

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I’ve had ONE service on my Revs (Tim F) in five years. Admittedly, they DID get completely shonky before I had them looked at but to be honest, with the usage these and the new ones get out of me, once a year is fine.

wwaswas

Marzocchi are ‘service every 3 years’ now.

Benefits of a decent amount of oil in each leg!

uplink
    Free Member

It looks like the booklet is at odds with the website on the service intervals – I’ve emailed them

I’ll let you know

neninja
    Free Member

I did a seal service for the 1st time on my 2011 Talas 140 RLC a few weeks ago and the foam rings were pretty much clean. They’ve been used 3-5 times a week since January and the stanchions sprayed with Fork Juice or silicon spray regularly.

My own view on them –
    +ves
    Kashima coat does seem to reduce stiction
    Very smooth
    2 position Talas adjuster much better than the old 3 position one
    Light
    Good small bump control

-ves
    Took a while to get them set up
    Hideously expensive (glad I bought nearly new on here)

A mate has Dual position Revelation World Cups with the 2 step adjust and I wouldn’t swap him. The Fox look better finished and feel smoother.

wl
    Free Member

Five deserves 36s.

foxyrider
    Free Member

@ uplink – have a look on their website – they have just changed their service intervals – this was in the news recently! – keep up 😉 Your booklet is out of date!

http://www.foxracingshox.com/fox_tech_center/owners_manuals/012/index.html

uplink
    Free Member

I did look at it but the booklet [which has 2012 printed on it] says 15hrs – hence I’ve emailed them for clarification

foxyrider
    Free Member

I have heard this from several reliable sources 🙂

This a direct link to the tech page:

http://service.foxracingshox.com/consumers/Content/service_intervals.htm

uplink
    Free Member

yep, seen that

doesn’t seem to mention dust wiper service though ❓

uplink
    Free Member

OK,

I sent the following to Fox …….

Hi,

The booklet that came with my 2012 F29s has the following service intervals defined

clean and inspect dust wipers – every 15hrs
    Inspect dropout wear – every 30hrs
    Inspect bushings – every 30hrs
    Suspension fluid service – every 30hrs
    Change Float Fluid in air spring chamber – every 30hrs

which seems at odds with the info on your website …………. which lists most tasks as 100 hr intervals

could you clarify for me please?

This is the reply I received ………

Hello,

Please follow the service intervals in your booklet as the ones seen online are most likely old information that needs to be updated.

Thanks,

Tom Karambela
    Customer Service and Aftermarket Sales
    Bicycle Division
    FOX Racing Shox
    http://www.foxracingshox.com
    http://service.foxracingshox.com

jedi

i tried to get some marz t1 55s but they all gone. new crown and steerer should stop the creaking noise on the lyrics………………..every make has something wrong it seems
    forking hell!

mieszko
    Free Member

Haha, so who is not keeping up in here? 🙂

As for Fox forks, they look very nice and work super smooth, I’ll be putting a F100 RLC on my OH’s dad bike soon. He has a Reba at the moment. I used RS for the last 3 years and have to say they are as smooth as Fox if looked after, the difference might be in the damping department will have to see.

I think that it was established that the premature stanchion wear was down to using muck off type of cleaners, not looking after the fork but also the riding condition someone has.

Fox look nice but for my riding I don’t feel that my Revs are lacking, I’m probably not using them to the full potential.

Bottom line is, look after any fork and it will keep on working. Fox look very good and if I would buy one brand new than I would make sure I look after it, especially that wiping the dust off the uppers and seals, then either some oil on seal lip or a spray with some fork juice doesn’t take more than 2 minutes.

[edit] My mate has a 44 RLO Bomber with the 3 year no service warranty. They are not super smooth straight out of the box, but once bedded in they do work beautifully. After almost 2 years and no service whatsoever the fork still works super smooth, no wear to the black anodizing, no oil or air leaks. His is a fairly simple model but seems Marzocchi upped their game.
    [edit]

foxyrider
    Free Member

Sorry but I was aware that they have increased their service intervals – That is a very lazy email from Fox – Have you tried Mojo – they are usually much more helpful – I will now email them myself!

ones seen online are most likely old

– I like that “Most likely” as in I haven’t bothered to look?

I think that’s a load of horse poo as the previous years have very different service intervals on the web based and pdf based manuals!

uplink
    Free Member

It is a lazy email from them and I’ve replied that the 2012 info on the website clearly isn’t old and can they look into it further

ruscle
    Free Member

Great forks so a great purchase, just swap out the seals to the enduro seals when you get round to doing a seal change. Fox forks are very easy to do a quick or full service so don’t worry about any of it and just enjoy riding. Most people on this forum site like to put a downer on peoples expected purchases unless it has shimano or hope wrote on it or its a ss 29er!

wrecker
    Free Member

I’ve had the talas forks, they were ok but IMO the travel adjust feature isn’t worth the extra over the floats. 110mm was too low over anything remotely techy as it dropped the bb too far resulting in pedal strikes. I’m much happier with the floats and have kept them at 160mm without detriment to climbing. In a nutshell, I’d recommend the floats in the 32 150mm or 36 160 flavour dependent on your riding. I wouldn’t buy talas again.

uplink
    Free Member

Fox forks are very easy to do a quick or full service so don’t worry about any of it

I’ve got absolutely no worries about serving forks, or any qualms about buying them
    I’m just trying to get clarity on the recommended service intervals as the difference between the manual and the website detail is substantial

FWIW – mine definitely have SKF seals

uplink
    Free Member

This is the paper manual

ruscle
    Free Member

The skf seals should be a marked improvement, I would just do it as regular as you can depending on the conditions you have been riding in and how often you have been out as the forks are not cheap, I don’t worry about exact timings of servicing, I have just done when I think its needed or I have some spare time to fettle with my bike and I’ve not had any problems with wear on stantions etc. If in doubt I always phone Mojo and go by what they tell me.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Reply from mojo copying the contents of uplinks original email

Hi

The Manual is correct and that’s what we recommend. If its not too much trouble would it be possible to point me in the direction of the details specifying the “100 hr intervals” recommendations on our site as I’m not away of any.

Sorry for any confusion, but you are correct to follow the manual.

Cheers,

Mojo Suspension Hoodoo Ltd.

Sorry thats the info i was given recently 🙁 Sorry [goes away to eat humble pie and cry]

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘New forks!’ is closed to new replies.