Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • New forks to be fitted, but IS fitment on new forks
  • olympus
    Free Member

I’ve just got a set of PIKES to replace my rubbish forks, my wheels arrive today so I can get the forks fitted tomorrow at my LBS. However I’ve just realised that my current forks are post mount whereas my new forks are IS. Do I gamble on my LBS having the mount adapter or should I just buy one now and hope it arrives before I’m due in?

I have 180mm rotors so should I be buying this?
    Chain reaction cycles

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

IS fork to PM brake is the best and easiest way to fit adaptors. Any decent LBS used to working on quality bikes should have on in stock IMO….
    Yes, that’s the correct adaptor. It’s more than possible that you know someone who has one lying around… I know I have several different adapors in my tool box!

stumpy01

I’d ring the LBS & see if they have one before ordering one in the hope it will arrive tomorrow morning. As with anything like this, when you really need it to arrive, it probably won’t.

If they don’t have one, see how quick they can get one & if it’s not very quick order the one from CRC.
    You can still get the forks fitted without the adaptor, you just won’t be able to ride the bike until you do get one.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    5lab

lbs should have one of these in

carbon337
    Free Member

which shop dru?

simon1975

Can’t you ask the shop?

olympus
    Free Member

I’ve rang the bike shop up, and they have all possible mount adapters.

However he’s a bit concerned that my caliper may not switch, as he’s unsure on what model mine are. Guess I’ll find out when I take it in.

It’s gonna be a faff cos the shop is right in the centre of Newcastle so I can’t really drive, and I’ll have to take my new wheelset with me, so maybe run with a front rotor on the old wheel and a rear rotor on the new back wheel. AND they charge a tenner to change tyres so I’m borrowing some to transport them, cos I aint paying that! lol

Hopefully I dont need to buy a new front brake! Not just yet anyway.

Carbon my LBS is Start Cycles, on Granger St. too far to travel back to Mark’s or cyclelife

simon1975

I couldn’t get an Avid Juicy 5 caliper to work on any mount other than Avid’s own, but that was a front 160 so clearances will be tighter than yours. Good luck!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘New forks to be fitted, but IS fitment on new forks’ is closed to new replies.