Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • New forks on a 6yr old frame, worth it?
  • RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Hi

So.. I’m wondering whether I should upgrade my current Lyrik solo air rc2DH’s to a new fork, mostly likely a pike.

A few questions (and no, I’m not currently able to replace the frame too)

– anyone know the axle to crown difference between the two?

– would I really notice the approx 3/4lb weight difference? My current bike is a bit lardy with it’s dropper post ..

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’d swap the fork if it was forward compatible (ie tapered) as an investment going forward.

highlandman
    Free Member

Just get the Lyrics serviced.
    New Pike is probably at best a slight backward step from a well set up Lyric, more so if you ride hard in rocky terrain.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Looks like 3mm difference in axle to crown – what does that equate to in increase steepness of HA?!

And yep – headtube is 1.5″ so supports tapered forks as well as old straight ones

kwack
    Free Member

I would service the Lyriks. I have the same forks on my 2011 Enduro and they are bombproof.

Dead easy to service as well

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Kwack – did you do it yourself? I’d be interested to know what’s needed in terms of tools, spares and mechanical knowledge!

drofluf
    Free Member

Kwack – did you do it yourself? I’d be interested to know what’s needed in terms of tools, spares and mechanical knowledge!

I just serviced my Blutos using the guide from the SRAM/Rockshox website. I imagine there’d be one for your forks as well, but this went step by step through each stage of the process.

Toolwise I needed Allen keys, 24mm socket, rubber mallet and some rags etc.. You can buy new seals and oil etc. from TF Tuned (and elsewhere I’m sure).

Also plenty of videos online.

kwack
    Free Member

As drofluf said,

Tools wise – allen keys, rubber mallet and circlip pilers, I downloaded the instructions from the SRAM website and read through them plenty of times before I started to familiarize myself with what to do.

Oil I bought online along with service kits you can get from TFTuned. When I bought the forks they came with a service kit.

Hardest part was getting the circlip off which took a couple of attempts, other than work methodically through the instructions

Kwack

amedias
    Free Member

Looks like 3mm difference in axle to crown – what does that equate to in increase steepness of HA?!

roughly equal to the margin of error in measurement, ie: sweet FA.

Also about the same difference between a new tyre and worn one would have.

almightydutch
    Free Member

Have ridden a few pairs of Pikes now and none of them feel how I run my Lyriks and as others have said, bombproof

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Hmm, I’m still tempted by the 3/4lb weight difference but admit it probably makes no discernible difference. It’s just that there aren’t many other places I can shed weight on the bike ..

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘New forks on a 6yr old frame, worth it?’ is closed to new replies.