Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • New forks for cotic soul
  • g5604
    Free Member

I current have Fox 32-F 100mm on my cotic soul, and looking for a bit more travel (120mm – 130mm). It is the classic Soul so 26in, 1-1/8 steerer, what should I be looking at?

ska-49
    Free Member

I’d look at Sids/Reba/Revelations

Northwind

The old 426 100-130mm air u-turn revelation was pretty close to perfect for a Soul- looked right, worked right, fitted the range of travel etc. Damping isn’t the best by modern standards though. Unfortunately u-turn’s gone out of fashion, I don’t know if there’s a height adjustable fork I’d choose for the job any more, I’d be torn between getting an old Rev and tuning the bejeezus out of it, and just getting a 120mm Sid or Reba I think.

jekkyl

I think 120 is the perfect amount of travel for a hardtail. That’s what I’m seeking for my soul.

g5604
    Free Member

thanks, I think 120mm, non adjustable is what I am after just struggling to find anything in stock.

ceepers

I was just pondering this.

My soul is a mark 3 with a tapered steerer. I’m happy with it at 120. At the moment it’s got a RS recon gold tk coil fork in it.

I’m wondering what difference i’d feel moving onto a reba solo air rl for example.

I guess x fusion velvet are the other possibility

iainc

I’m wondering what difference i’d feel moving onto a reba solo air rl for example.

I guess x fusion velvet are the other possibility

well I can help you with that 🙂 I have a mark 3 which was built new May 13. I had an brand new X Fusion Velvet on it which was ok, if a bit clunky. Before it got really bedded in it developed a bad steerer bond click/creak and got new uppers under warranty. While I was waiting for that I bought a new 120mm Reba Solo Air, which was and is great. So much better that the XFusion that I sold the Velvets.

g5604
    Free Member

You are lucky to have the taper, I am struggling to find any 1 1/8 forks.

ceepers

Right well thats one question answered!

I guess what has got me thinking is the sektor i have on my full sus seems much plusher on small bumps without being so soft it dives/ bottoms out on bigger hits. It is 140mm travel but still got me thinking…

@g5604

what about these? the bottom ones are straight steerer?

http://www.merlincycles.com/rockshox-reba-rl-forks-26-58507.html

iainc

You are lucky to have the taper, I am struggling to find any 1 1/8 forks.

😥 you have my sympathies. I pondered long and hard about buying a 26 inch wheeled bike last May for same reasons of looming obselescence….

timnwild

Loved my Revs (the new ones, non-adjustable) on the Soul, and for XC, 120mm was perfect. I ended up running them at nearer 140mm to get the gnarliest descent mode possible, but they did work really well. Northwind’s right about the old U-Turns though, they were great, cos you could have both without messing about with a pump.

cy

iainc – Sorry you had trouble with your Velvets. We’ve just had some of the new model year versions through and they’re quite different to the previous ones. Much more ‘mini Slant’ than the older style so I’d expect them to be improved. Certainly my Slants have been great.

As such, in answer to the original post, if Velvets are still available in 1 1/8″ then I think they’d be great. Otherwise, one option would be to pick up some older Rebas or similar 2nd hand and budget for sending them straight to TF Tuned or similar to get them properly rebuilt. Paul had Rebas running for years and years on his Soul using occasional TF rebuilds to keep them going.

iainc

iainc – Sorry you had trouble with your Velvets.

cy, no worries, it worked out fine for me in the end. I actually specced them on a custom build by LBS, SprocketCycles in Kilmarnock, who did a splendid job of the build and sorted the fork warranty and new Reba hassle free for me.

I was interested to see that you are speccing them on the complete build Souls now, so your points about the new models make a lot of sense.

I just hope you keep on knocking out the 26’ers and people keep building wheels and forks for them for a few more years to keep the ‘alive not obselete’ theme going 🙂

chestrockwell

Don’t rule out DT Swiss. My old set were the best forks I’ve ever had. RS are ok but the DT’s were far better then the Rev/Reba/Sid/Sektor I’ve had or tried.

handyandy
    Free Member

I managed to find a set of 2012 velvets for my 4x bike, and they are wonderful. Not as plush as some forks, but not as expensive either.

g5604
    Free Member

thanks ceepers (and everyone else) they do look pretty good.

dukeduvet

as an earlier post mentioned merlin have new reba’s in 100, 120, qr and 15mm with 1 1/8 steerers so they are available.

My last set of reba’s lasted 7 years with one service which is pretty good going. Now have 120mm dual air reba’s with 15mm axle perfect for my Soul.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘New forks for cotic soul’ is closed to new replies.