• This topic has 20 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by nixie.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • New forks for 26" full sus dilemma
  • nixie

So after blowing the damping on my forks last night I’m left with 3 options;

[list]
    [*]Service (forks also have stanchion wear so this will be costly)[/*]
    [*]New 26″ fork[/*]
    [*]New 650b fork[/*]
    [/list]

Service will be cheapest, but not by much (as the new CSU is £140). I quite fancy some new forks though. Looking around there isn’t much 26″ options available any more. I don’t want sectors, 26″ pikes are silly money. The as far as I can see leaves the option of some 2015 Marzocchi 55 cr or (for less money and less weight) some 650b 2015 350 crs.

Now I know the 650b forks will be longer (10mm according to MZ site for the same travel) however if I set them to 150mm they A-C is still within what my frame can handle (will make it more like a 160mm 26″ fork). The only other difference I can see between the forks is 40mm (650b) vs 44mm (26″) offset difference. Will this make a noticeable difference?

legend
    Free Member

Service (forks also have stanchion wear so this will be costly)

Why? Just get it serviced and ignore the stanchion wear if you want to keep it going

I was looking at the 350 CRs recently, there seems to be quite a lot of trouble with them though. The thread on the forum goes from “OMGZ I love my new fork” to “OMGZ the damper’s bust again” pretty quickly. There’s been a couple of Manitou Mattocs popping up recently, they look like an interesting option.

I’m intrigued to hear what others have to say about the offset situation. I struggle to believe that it will be much beyond a very slight tweak to the handling (I’m in the same 26″ fork dilemma at the moment also)

Paul-j

I had the very same problem a month ago.
    I ended up getting a set of rct3 pikes 650b. They are fitted to my 2012 nuke proof mega with the 26″ wheels front and back. To be honest they have felt slightly different interms of a ever so longer wheel base.
    Only good things have come of the switch and no problems what so ever.

And the earth is still turning.

nixie

I was looking at the 350 CRs recently, there seems to be quite a lot of trouble with them though.

Which forums, not managed to find out much about them while looking.

PaulJ, did you stay at the same travel or reduce the pikes so the a-c was consistent?

legend
    Free Member

I lied, it was a 55 CR thread I was thinking of. Don’t know if it’s exactly the same damper, worth a look though: http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/marzocchi-55-cr-any-experiencethoughts

zero-cool
    Free Member

I just bought a pair of Marzocchi 55 RC: Evo Ti 2014 from Winstanley for £299.
    Happy with them and they’ve got a low A2C for a 170 fork. Shorter than the previous 160 Fox forks

Paul-j

They were 150, but now 160.

To be fair I don’t think many people would notice the difference of 10mm, you look at a lot of top riders they aren’t fussed about 10 mm difference. Also if you can, just swap over spacers under the stem. At least your handle bars are the same height from the ground that way.

chrishc777
    Free Member

A couple of threads on here on 350s with 26″ wheels. I’ve replied on all of them saying how great they are and how it works fine and doesn’t mess up your geometry, or at least didn’t mess mine up on my covert

nixie

Thanks Legend, had seen that thread. On the positive side at least those having issue had them sorted quickly!

Paul, Agreed I’d probably not notice the extra 10mm (especially since I’ve only just got the frame). Was hoping to keep it within the max length recommended though.

Chrisc777, thanks, will have a read but that sounds promising

zerocool, I’ve seen those, way to long for the frame unfortunately as they soung great

jairaj

Manitou Mattocs can be converted from 26 to 650B by adding a spacer on the damper shaft and removing a spacer from the air spring. Not sure if Mattocs come in different offsets for 26 and 650B.

The smaller offset for the 650B fork is probably to make the steering more lively to compensate for the larger wheel. No idea if this actually makes a large difference or not.

nixie

I’m leaning towards the 350 cr at the moment (mattoc reviews seemed mixed to me and had bad experience with mantiuos in the past). The MZ 3 year warranty certainly is appealing and performance sounds good.

For others coming to this thread in the future chrishc777 post history brings up threads worth reading.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I bought some RS Lyriks recently, they’re still available (heavily discounted) from CRC new for about 550, but they’re making no money s/h. I think I gave 180 for them, they’re virtually markless, came with the box, manual etc and frankly they’re brilliant.

They’re not not in vogue at the moment, someone will always pay 300/400 or more for 36s or Pikes, but as far as I’m concerned the RC2 DH are as any 36s I’ve tried.

jairaj

mattoc reviews seemed mixed to me and had bad experience with mantiuos in the past

I’ve read nothing but good reviews, where did you read a bad review?

Have you had bad experiences in the last 3 years? I believe they are reliable forks these days.

fingerbang
    Free Member

as soon as my 26inch Lyriks go I plan on getting some 650b Mattocs, for what its worth.

dickyhepburn
    Free Member

Like Paul J I also swapped to 650b Pike RCT3 – 160 duals from fox 32 150s and it is great – slacker head angle and better forks, climbing with them dropped is fine too.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

I’ve just bought two sets of second hand lyriks. Both in perfect condition, no marks on the lowers etc. Paid £200 and £180 delivered. They’re as good as any of the other options listed, but much cheaper.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

If it’s a Fox fork, I know a place where you can get checked and working used parts uppers, re-bushed lowers, dampers whatever for reasonable money (depending on stock), much less than new or buying a second hand fork.

Another option for those who have broke individual parts and aren’t prepared to pay for the “priced to discourage” new parts.

br
    Free Member

26″ pikes are silly money

I got some 160mm ones for my Cube earlier this year, £330 🙂

But if your position and just looking at the current pricing I’d be tempted at 650B.

ajantom

Marz 350 CRs on my DMR Bolt. Good for 26″ wheels with big tyres on – loads of mud clearance!
    Hoiked the front end up a little, but really not noticeable.

mattherby
    Free Member

Marz 350cr’s here on my nukeproof mega TR 26er. No problems what’s so ever, proper plush and they’ve handled Antur Stiniog, BPW, trail centres without a single issue. Loads of clearance with a 2.35 Magic Mary tyre too.

nixie

Old forks were dtswiss so repair options a bit more limited. I’ve ordered a set of 350 crs from CRC. Just got to work out how to shorten them.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘New forks for 26" full sus dilemma’ is closed to new replies.