Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • New forks?
  • MarkyG82

I have a set of float 32 140s that i’m close to pulling apart for a service. Never truly been happy with them and up until a couple of days ago was thinking of getting a set of yaris. No doubt the yari is a good fork but is it too big and heavy for me (11st 5’6″)? Then I found the Sektor gold rl. Had an older sektor in my 26 days and they were great. Are the 32 legs on the sektor just as flexi as the floats or are they generally a stiffer fork?

So, should I be looking at the yari or is a sektor ok? Canyon Spectral 140mm BTW.

deviant
    Free Member

The Sektor is much underrated, the 32mm stanchions laugh in the face of Fox’s 32mm offerings….i ran a 140mm pair on a 456-evo and they did uplift days etc….tough old fork, I’d have another.

razorrazoo

The Yari is really solid, you’ll feel a massive difference in stiffness over both the other forks. I don’t find mine heavy on my 150mm Zesty, they are not that much more than the Pike. A compromise at a similar price point would be the Xfusion Sweep, I prefer the Yari’s over the sweep for my riding (a bit stiffer and more progressive), but the newer version with the roughcut damper is mean to be better than the older one I had.

deviant
    Free Member

Yeah, just to muddy the water here…..i do also have an X-fusion Sweep with the Roughcut damper and it knocks spots off anything else I’ve tried…to the point i decided against buying a dedicated DH bike and just stuck a 160mm X-fusion up front instead…..bike is a Giant Trance SX btw.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Loving my Yari fork, but it might get a charger upgrade if I can find the bits I need ‘just because’.

chestrockwell

Totally disagree with the above as my Sektors felt basic in the extreme. Fox 32, 34, DT Swiss, Rockshox Rev and Pike are all noticably better in my opinion.

Northwind

Re flex- the reason Fox invented the 34 was that they couldn’t make a competitive 32mm fork. The original 34 was pretty much a direct competitor for the Sektor/Revelation, just wrapped in hype and marketing. So yes a Sektor will be stiffer than your 32.

(I thought a pretty fair comparison was that my 150mm 20mm Revs were very comparable in stiffness to some 110mm 15mm 32s I briefly had. I’m not a person that’s really bothered about flex tbh but even I found the longer travel 32s to be like wet spaghetti, so obviously an XC fork that’d been stretched)

jairaj

The Sektor chassis is decent. I think the chassis is similar to a Rev just cheaper and heavier materials and possibly less machining???

But depends on which damper you get. I found the RL damper very basic, individual bumps were fine but when the going got tough the forks couldn’t keep up. Also didn’t like the lack of low speed compression adjust.

I’d happily use one again but with a more sophisticated damper than the basic RL.

Northwind

Depends exactly which sektor- some are literally the same chassis, some have steel steerers etc but with just a couple of exceptions they’re interchangable.

The RL damper is pretty oldschool now, you can swap in upgrades from the Rev but that stops being cost effective pretty fast unless you buy a dead fork for the parts. If you want a high end damper it doesn’t make any sense to buy a Sektor imo but if you have one already it can make sense.

Not necessarily recommending either- I need a new 150mm fork and it’ll be a Pike or a 36 or a Lyrik most likely. But I had 32mm Revs for years and they were ace, and I had a damper-upgraded coil sektor that was even better (but heavier than a Pike!)

MarkyG82

Thanks all.
    Jairaj, was the sektor you tried an older one. They seem to have motion control dampers now which should be better?

jairaj

Sorry bit of a late reply.

Yep was a bit of an old fork 26″ with 20mm axle and straight steerer, very old fashioned these days 🙂 Probably tried it around ~ 2011 ?

I can’t remember too well now but I think the RL damper I tried wasn’t a MoCo variant. For me even a basic MoCo variant damper would be more than sufficient and make a good budget fork. It doesn’t necessarily have to be the top of the range RCT3.

Bagstard
    Free Member

I have an x-fusion sweep RL2 at 130mm on my Bird Zero tr and have to say I’m really impressed. It feels plenty stiff and sits quite high in it’s travel, feels quite similar to my Pike.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘New forks?’ is closed to new replies.