Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • New fork – new wheel – wheel not centred.
  • dantsw13

Ive just built up my new bike. New wheel (Superstar Tactic/Tesla) in a new fork (Manitou Tower Pro) and the wheel isn’t centred in the fork, by about 3mm.

[/url]
    Untitled by danthomassw13, on Flickr[/img]

There isn’t any rubbing, but I’m sure it isn’t right. Is it the wheel at fault (out of dish?)?

wwaswas

fit the wheel the other way round and see if the problem persists.

doug_basqueMTB.com

Definitely the wheel nd not the tyre? Take the disc off and turn the wheel round, is the offset still on the same side?

Edit… Too slow!

dantsw13

Thanks chaps – I’ll go and check. Now, Ive not built wheels before, so is it a shop job, or DIY?

dantsw13

The tyre is a brand new smorgasbord – no bulging or wobble as the wheel turns It is set up tubeless, and both beads definitely seated.

wwaswas

I guess, in the end as long as the forks aren’t ‘wrong’ in terms of assembly and alignment then moving the rim is the easiest solution.

to move across you need to loosen the non-disk nipples say a turn and then tighten the disk side ones by the same amount. Start at the valve so you don’t lose track of what you’ve done.

When you’ve done that place the end of the axle on an old bit of wood and put all of your weight on the rim at 5 or 6 points around the rim and then flip and do the same the other side.

to confirm if it’s all centred use a ruler to measure the rim to lowers gap – don’t use the tyre as a reference point.

It’s not difficult to do – the only ‘danger’ is that you run out of thread on the drive side nipples before the wheels centred in the forks but it shouldn;t be a problem.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

If the wheel is dished and it is new then send it back to superstar…

they should pay postage if the wheel is faulty as new.

zbonty

If the wheel is incorrectly dished (over to one side, as the pic may indicate) then chuck it back to Superstar.

I would’nt be following wwaswas’s instructions on re-dishing a fully tensioned wheel though.

neninja
    Free Member

I wonder if it’s a Manitou thing.

A mate had the same problem with a set of Manitou’s recently. We tried a couple of wheels both ways round so it was definitely not due to dishing.

Also the fork didn’t appear to be bent as once the caliper aligned there was no disc rub and the wheel span freely.

All in all it was very strange.

letmetalktomark

IF it’s the wheel I would speak to SSC about reimbursing the cost of the LBS re dishing the wheel.

This should be possible with the tyre in place and hence not having to take the tyre off, clean up etc

It would also be quicker and less faff.

dantsw13

We’ll, I took the disc off, and inserted the wheel backwards, and that way round the tyre was perfectly centred.

When done the right way round, there is no disc rub, no tyre bulge, just slightly off centre.

ndthornton
    Free Member

We’ll, I took the disc off, and inserted the wheel backwards, and that way round the tyre was perfectly centred.

that is a bit odd
    Are you sure you had everything tightened up properly?
    does the wheel spin true?

woollybackpaul
    Free Member

Have a look at any bike with a set of Boxxers on and it’ll be the same.

The tolerances on forks are pretty shocking, I hadn’t noticed until a pal picked up his new Glory and spotted it. There was about 6 of us out that day with Boxxers and every set where out one way or the other.

Don’t know if Manitou have similar acceptable tolerances but wouldn’t surprise me.

bails

When done the right way round, there is no disc rub, no tyre bulge, just slightly off centre

Odd. Suggests that the fork is out by 1.5mm to the NDS and the wheel is also out by 1.5mm to the NDS, when put in the right way the difference add up to a 3mm offset, but when the wheel is in the wrong way it cancels out. The fork move the rim 1.5mm to the NDS, then the incorrect dishing moves it back 1.5mm to the DS, centering it!

dantsw13

Ok – that’s interesting WoolyBP.

Yes, everything is tight, all spins freely, hub/disc spacing is spot on. Maybe I’ll just GOAR.

dantsw13

Any issue with riding a wheel slightly out of dish?

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

It’s probably a bit of both the forks and the wheel dish. If the rim moves left/right when you flip it round then it has to be mis-dished, but if it’s on either side and centre then it’s just cancelling out the wonkyness of the forks.

ndthornton
    Free Member

get a proper dishing tool on the job – take out the guesswork
    If the wheel is out send it back – if not send the forks back
    I wouldn’t be happy with either

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘New fork – new wheel – wheel not centred.’ is closed to new replies.