• This topic has 24 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by Crag.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • New fork for the Alps?
  • dantsw13

I’m off to Les Gets for a long weekend in Jun. I’m planning 2 days riding the Red Routes off the Chavannes, maybe Morzine too, and one day out exploring with a guide.

I am building up a 2010 Heckler, with an RP23 on the rear with offset bushings. I currently have a 150 Rev fork on the front. Is it worth the change to a 160 fork, such as a Marz55(2010+), lyrik, or Fox 36?

legend
    Free Member

What do you think is lacking from the Rev? Or what are you hoping to gain from the 10mm longer fork?

If you like your wrists its advisable, the braking bumps are a killer !
    The x fusion coil vengeance is worth a look as well

dantsw13

I rode there with the Revs last year, and it was fine. I’ve never used a decent coil fork, or anything longer than a 150.

I thought that a burlier/stiffer fork might be good out there, and also fancied the extra slackness of a 160mm fork.

I will be setting the bike up purely for the Alps and the QECP gravity Enduro in July. My main bike is a Titus FTMc with a140 Talas on the front.

higgo
    Free Member

You are building a bike (and buying a fork) for a long weekend?

Might be cheaper to hire something beefy out there.

edit: I have done a week in Morzine and a week in Alpe d’Huez (including the Megavalanche) on a 140mm air Pike. I’ve also done a week in Morzine on a 160mm 55.

Given the choice I’d go for the longer fork but if all I had was something 140/150mm I’d happily take that.

dantsw13

I had a Heckler last year, but it was the wrong size, so sold it on. I’ve just got a storming deal on a 2010 Heckler in the states (£330 !!), so decided to build another with all the kit currently on my C456, which will be appearing in the classifieds soon!!

If I go for a longer fork, I’ll be selling on the Revs, so all in all, it’s pretty cost neutral.

banks
    Free Member

XF is mint fork on par with the 55 rc3 ti – good luck finding a 160 version though

dantsw13

Yep – not many XF vengeance out there. Can the 170 be spaced to 160?

banks
    Free Member

Can be, sure I’ve seen guides on their website. They are very tall though a2c crown height.

I picked up a set for 200quid – brand new but some kid wanted kashir fox forks instead..

dantsw13

My other issue is steerer length. I need 190+ 1 1/8 straight, and most seem cut to 175-180.

Northwind

Lyriks are well priced and perform really well- nothing wrong with the Revs but they’re more allrounders by design, the Lyriks will be stiffer (if you care), plusher (especially if you coil) and have a damper that’s both better in use and easier to tweak.

I’ve not ridden in that area so can’t comment on that, but I took my Revs out to the pyrenees and dh raced them in the UK with no fuss at all. Prefer my Lyriks for that job but it’s want not need.

banks
    Free Member

Northwind – wanna sell the lyriks to me please 😀

Northwind

Nah, they’re fully employed 🙂

Trekster

I stuck a set of Sektor 150 coils on my old 2005 Kona Dawg for a trip to Chatel last year and survived nae bother. We took a ride over to Les Gets but a few of us spent more time exploring the xc stuff after a few runs down some of the DH trails. The braking bumps are a nightmare and not really what I want to spend time riding.

superfli
    Free Member

Used revs on my heckler last year with slackset. It was ok, but noticeable flex. I now have xf vengeance 160. So so so much stiffer and the extra length slackens the bike nicely so ditched the shoddy slackset for my old hope. Cant wait to ride again this year in the alps

banks
    Free Member

Northwind – thought about retirement?

higgo
    Free Member

If I go for a longer fork, I’ll be selling on the Revs, so all in all, it’s pretty cost neutral.

If it’s cost-neutral bung some Lyrics or 55s on then.

johnhe

I’ve ridden 32 Talas and 36 Talas forks in Morzine, and I think the 36 is a massive improvement in that terrain. I think you’ll be absolutely fine on your existing forks, but I definitely think you will see an improvement with the 36 ones.

chakaping
    Free Member

If you want a new fork, the Alps is as good an excuse as you’ll find.

Crag
    Free Member

Bit of a shameless post but I’ve got some 2010 55’s that I was gonna stick up for sale this weekend!!

Even without the self promotion, if I was setting the bike up purely for the gravity side of things, then I’d be putting some coil 160mm’s on it.

I ended up puttting some Lyriks on my Zesty having ridden in th’Alps previously with air Pikes and the difference is massive. Just much more stiff and plush and as others have intimated, less fatigued at the end of a run.

mildred

Crag, I may be interested in your 55’s – can send any more details, model etc?

dantsw13

Crag – ygm

banks
    Free Member

If no one takes your forks crag I will – pending details

ianv
    Free Member

I wouldnt say the vengeance coil are as good as the rc3 ti 55s. They are good value and better than air revs but marzocchis feel burlier and nicer to ride.

Crag
    Free Member

Dan, I’ve mailed you back with details and pics.

The forks I’ve got are these.

http://www.marzocchi.com/template/detailProdotti.asp?LN=UK&idC=1592&IdFolder=113&idMY=56695&IdOggetto=56811

If Dan’s not interested I’ll fire some details out.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘New fork for the Alps?’ is closed to new replies.