Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • New fork and shock for my 2014 spicy 650b
  • oakesy2001uk
    Free Member

I got a good deal on a 327 spicy 650b. And have been going about bringing it up to spec.

Just the rear shock and forks to go.

Forks wise I need talking out of buying manitou mattocks, as a pike would seem to be the sensible option.

The manitou gets a great review, and I like the extra adjustability. Both are available for a similar price with discounts. What’s the word on reliability? I’m assuming rock shox warrenty is likely to be a lot better, and did I read right that the damper has a 200 hr service interval!?

I like to service my own forks, the manitou looks like this would be more possible on…

Rear shock wise, I’m 90% decided on a ccdb inline, again re the adjustment and having been impressed by my cane creek coil in the past.

edd

I have a 2014 Spicy 327. I swapped the fork for a RS Pike Solo Air RCT3. I kept the rear shock but replaced the standard 0.2″^3 air volume spacer for a 0.6″^3 air volume spacer (two sizes larger).

Before you shell out for a new rear shock I would recommend trying the existing shock with a larger air volume spacer as described above.

oakesy2001uk
    Free Member

That’s interesting, so your happy with the ctd evo shock with this change?

The shock seems to blow through its travel quite easily, without feeling very plush with not great small bump compliance, kind of the worst of both worlds.

Did the volume spacer allow you to use a lower pressure solving the small bump a little?

My last two shocks were an avalanche fox dhx air, and a cane creek coil so I thaught I was expecting too much.

edd

For context I came from a 2010 Orange Alpine 160 with 160mm 36 Van RC2 forks and Cane Creek Coil rear shock that I had run for 4 summers to the 2014 Spicy 327.

I never tried the Fox 34 forks but I’m really impressed with the Pike RCT3 forks. Not quite as much small bump sensitivity as the 36 Van RC2s but better mid stroke support.

With the CTD Evo rear shock I was really struggling with it blowing through the travel. Before I changed it for a different shock I thought I’d try the 0.6″^3 air volume spacer. This does seem to have resolved the problem.

I also run the shock in Trail (middle) setting all the time as I find that the Descend (open) setting offers too little (almost no) support. Is it as good as the Cane Creek coil? No, it looses out on small bump sensitivity and is less well damped. However where previously I wanted to put it in the bin it’s now perfectly reasonable (and much less expensive than a new shock).

Hope that helps!

LoCo
    Free Member

2015 fox 36 RC2 float & cc inline (if you are within weight limit)

oakesy2001uk
    Free Member

I am in weight limit for the inline so am leaning this way for the shock.
    Not sure my pockets are deep enough for the new fox 36, when pikes and mattock both can be had near £500 though.

oakesy2001uk
    Free Member

I’m really leaning towards the mattocks and I’m not 100% sure why since the pike seems everyone’s default option, reading the pinkbike review and a few others the mattock sounds great..
    Has anyone ridden both? It appears warranty and service interval are the same.

jairaj

I was going to suggest a volume reducer for the shock and / or custom tune. Which might be more cost effective. But seems like you are used to having some high quality damping so not sure if that’s going to cut the mustard. CCDB Inline seems to be the shock of choice at the moment. Or a BOS Vip’r if you don’t mind having a hard time getting hold of spares.

Out of interest where have you seen the Mattoc for a similar price to a Pike?

oakesy2001uk
    Free Member

Winstanleys are doing them both for around the 500 mark depending on wheel size etc…

oakesy2001uk
    Free Member

MArzocchi 350cr are cheap cheap, assuming there is a reason for this. cant find anything in the way of reviews though!

pbooker1995
    Free Member

Would Definitely recommend the 2015 Fox 36 RC2, phenomenal fork!

benpinnick

I’ve ridden both mattocs and pikes. Both great, pikes probably edge it at RRP, but for 350 for pike rcs there’s no competition.

oakesy2001uk
    Free Member

Found RCT3 pikes at £506 locally, actually £30 cheaper than mattocks so it looks like ill be picking some of them up on thursday 🙂

jairaj
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘New fork and shock for my 2014 spicy 650b’ is closed to new replies.