Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • New fork – adjustable up 160mm, 20mm bolt-thru, to go on Orange Five.
  • PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

My Marzocchi 55s have failed one time too many.

Any recommendations?

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Coil Lyrics would be my choice. 🙂

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

You're not the first person to mention Lyrics…

I was erring towards Talas 36s until I did a price hunt – they ain't cheap.

FieldMarshall

Just fitted some coil Lyriks to mine and rode it for the first time last weekend in the Lakes.

Cost was a major factor for me too. Plus really wanted something that was coil and adjustable, so Lyriks were the obvious choice.

Has really transformed the bike.

Having the U-turn is a big plus in my opinion.

Left it in 140ish for most of the time (i.e. climbs and flatish descents) and only wound it out to 160 for the big descents.

I_Ache
    Free Member

What model are the 55s and wrong with them?

mk1fan
    Free Member

Lyrik ain't exactly 'cheap' either. Aren't the 2010 Lyrik's 170mm of travel?

Assuming that you don't want a set of Bombers again.

DT Swiss and Magura do similar forks too do they not?

Coil or Air?

I'd be inclined to lean towards a set of Fox Talas RC2's or 2008/9 Rock Shox Lyrik U-Turn's off e-Bay.

z1ppy

Do you really need 160mm? 150mm Rev's (3.57lb – U-turn) instead maybe?
    Lot lighter than Lyrik @ 5.23lbs (u-turn 170mm)…

Richyb
    Free Member

Had Talas 36's & 32's and Float 36's & 32's on my 5 in the past.

My advice would be don't bother with the adjustability, you think you need it but you don't really and it just adds weight. I actually thought that the 5 climbed worse dialled down to 130 than it did at 160. I also think its an unncessary distraction, you spend half a ride faffing about with it.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

What model are the 55s and wrong with them?

Model is a 2008 55 ATA. I believe the problem is that there is a floating valve inside one of the legs that slowly sucks in oil as the suspension is compressed and released, which then restricts travel and gets worse the more you ride. It happened earlier this year after a few weekends at Aston Hill (which Windwave fixed during a service in May, alongside a top-out 'click'), but reappeared during a long weekend in the Italian Alps, weekend before last.

I've been assured that it's a pretty easy fix (take out valve, drain, replace oil in bath), but not something I fancy doing every six months.

I'd be inclined to lean towards a set of Fox Talas RC2's or 2008/9 Rock Shox Lyrik U-Turn's off e-Bay.

Kinda where I'm heading to now – 170mm is a little excessive. 🙂

Do you really need 160mm? 150mm Rev's (3.57lb – U-turn) instead maybe?
    Lot lighter than Lyrik @ 5.23lbs (u-turn 170mm)…

I have looked down that line and it's a very good option. However, more and more of the riding I'm doing on this bike is in 'big' areas (Alps, Spain etc.) to the point where I'm looking at possibly replacing the Five with a Blood or Alpine 160 (or even getting a second sus bike? In which case, it's where the bigger forks would go).

My advice would be don't bother with the adjustability, you think you need it but you don't really and it just adds weight. I actually thought that the 5 climbed worse dialled down to 130 than it did at 160. I also think its an unncessary distraction, you spend half a ride faffing about with it.

Normally I'd agree with you as less faff makes a lot of sense, but I do like having the option to drop travel a little, swap to lighter tyres and have a bike far more suitable for shorter rides where I am (Chiltern Hills).

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Rockshox Rev's…

nickc

Magura Wotans

Sim

You know the answer!!!! 🙂

FieldMarshall

IIRC both the 160mm and 170mm versions of the Lyrik are available in the 2010 model, you can specify which one you want at point of purchase.

Disagree that the adjustability is unnecessary. I personally find it a very useful feature on the Five as its a way of quickly reconfiguring your bike from a more aggressive DH orientated machine to more XC. And in my opinion the Five copes well with the geometry change.

It's also don't agree that it is much faff, takes about 5 secs to wind it up or down. As I said I tend to leave it at 140mm for all but the steepest of descents.

Mine are 09 and got them new off ebay at a good price.

Having said that, I agree that Revs would be a good compromise and much lighter, if you don't need 160mm.

But if you want coil and adjustability then I think Lyriks are the way to go.

chunkypaul
    Free Member

i've gone down the same avenue pj – kinda wanted more travel on my 5, well more than the pike, still have to be through axle and adjustable travel

options were 55 ATA, lyric coil u-turn, 36 talas, 2010 revelation 150mm u-turn, lyrik 2-step

ruled out the 55 cause of reliability, u-turn cause is a faff and my existing lyrik 2-steps have failed twice and quite weighty, sooooo got some new 2010 36 Talas forks on order through Progressive Bikes, much cheaper than anywhere else i could find

16stonepig
    Free Member

What are you doing with the 55s?

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Probably get them serviced and then sell.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘New fork – adjustable up 160mm, 20mm bolt-thru, to go on Orange Five.’ is closed to new replies.