Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • New Forest – call for views on recreation management strategy
  • burko73

Quick link in case this hasn’t been seen by those who may be interested.

Basically the New Forest NPA are hosting/ facilitating a consultation of behalf of the 6 key statutory authorities involved in managing the New Forest. The consultation is regarding the national park recreation management strategy plan review. This stage is a call for views on what users of the park think are their priorities for the coming period and why.

You can read all about it and complete an online survey here.

Click to go to the NPA webpage

You can respond as an individual or as a group.

I believe this is a good opportunity as this is the first time the 6 key organisations have agreed formally to look at the recreation and access in the park. The partners are keen to get as wide a range of views as possible from users of the National Park.

burko73

Bump – someone must be interested…. get involved.

Bez

I did it earlier 😉

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    richen987
    Free Member

filled it in, to be honest as a regular user of the forest, I hardly ever see anyone beyond a mile of a car park.
    They should focus their resources on making these areas resilient to plebs and then spend the rest of the money on an observatory, wild camp sites and getting kids into the forest.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Done

redstripe
    Free Member

Done too, the new head verderer is a good chap so hopefully will be open to more access suggestions for bike routes, time will tell

Bez

I hardly ever see anyone beyond a mile of a car park. They should focus their resources on making these areas resilient to plebs and then spend the rest of the money on an observatory, wild camp sites and getting kids into the forest.

Disagree. They should join up the fragmented bits of permissive gravel so that it’s possible for kids and traffic-phobic adults to actually go more than a mile from a car park.

I’ve recently been trying to concoct a route from Applemore to the Lymington ferry with an 8yo and a 3yo, it’s a joke. Multiple lunchtimes of poring over maps and a day of recce riding and I’ve figured out the best of a bad bunch but it’s still not great. Some stretches of cheeky riding would fix most of it easily but I don’t really want the kids standing by while daddy gets into a bit of a discussion with a ranger if we get collared (which isn’t wholly unlikely during the school holidays).

slowster
    Free Member

They should join up the fragmented bits of permissive gravel so that it’s possible for kids and traffic-phobic adults to actually go more than a mile from a car park.

Agree and I said similar in my submission. Some people will only ever drive their cars to the Forest and ride a very short distance, but a better network linking more of the towns is what will encourage some of those people to ride a bit further each time. Similarly they need to improve the non car access to visit the Forest (cycling and train). They have boasted about the Ashurst-Lyndhurst cyclepath on the website, but I consider that a failure and mismanagement of public money: it took them two goes to build it (the first version only had a gravel surface), and even now it’s too narrow in places for two oncoming cyclists to pass safely. Consequently I think most road riders stay on the A35.

I’ve recently been trying to concoct a route from Applemore to the Lymington ferry with an 8yo and a 3yo, it’s a joke. Multiple lunchtimes of poring over maps and a day of recce riding and I’ve figured out the best of a bad bunch but it’s still not great. Some stretches of cheeky riding would fix most of it easily but I don’t really want the kids standing by while daddy gets into a bit of a discussion with a ranger if we get collared (which isn’t wholly unlikely during the school holidays).

I’m surprised you’ve found any decent paths between Applemore and Lymington. Your main problem is the fact that most of the land around Beaulieu is privately owned with no rights of way, not FC land. I would have thought that it would be best to go by road from Beaulieu to Lymington via East Boldre, Sowley Pond and South Baddesley.

That said if you are considering a route via Roundhill Campsite, I may be able to give a suggestion.

richen987
    Free Member

I feel that’s a nice idea in theory, but I just don’t think they will spend the necessary money to do it properly or upkeep it.
    As said above the Ashurst Lyndhurst cyclepath was a disaster when put in and that’s a relatively short stretch compared to say Hyde or Applemore over to Lymington.
    And I can’t see Beaulieu being to open to allowing people to build cycle paths through their land.
    Potentially just taking a more relaxed view of people riding in the forest and only enforcing it in the SSI areas might help.
    I don’t see enough people cycling in the forest for them to make it a priority.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘New Forest – call for views on recreation management strategy’ is closed to new replies.