Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • New Forest – will I die?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Well, not so much die, more like will I get grumbled at?

Considering the New Forest for a long weekend. I know there are lots of family cycling paths, but is there anywhere I can legally and easily get an off-road loop in that isn’t just fire-road? Or tbh even a long loop of fire road and country lanes would do. Just don’t want to piss off any of the hostile nimbies.

sweaman2
    Free Member

If you stay on the “approved” tracks and bridlepaths then the nimbies have nothing to object to. It’s not exciting riding but I have a soft spot for the New Forest as I like the scenery. It is however very busy on long weekends in general.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I have a fab GPX route ( I have many) you could have, it’s called The Burley Loop. Starts and finishes in Burley funny enough, just outside the bike shop/cafe..

I’d recommend a decent puncture repair kit, it’s a bit sharp ATM.

smitghga34
    Free Member

There are lots of loops where you can combine fire roads and lanes etc. There is a downlaoadble pdf on the new forest Np website of bike rides in the forest

TheBrick
    Free Member

I’d be interested in that bikebouy.

Northwind

Are you Rufus the Red?

wwaswas

Are you Rufus the Red?

non sequitur of the day.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Do you have Garmin Connect?

molgrips
    Free Member

Me too bb, e-mail in profile. If there are bridleways, that could work. Don’t need thrills, just an enjoyable ride.

On tubeless, fwiw. And yes re Garmin Connect.

scaredypants

If you are possibly going to lose your way from the sanctioned fire roads, better to do it with the benefit of local knowledge (or gpx, as it’s sometimes known). It’s possible to sink without trace in some parts of the forest, even in late summer

dovebiker

Head to Dorset – plenty of good (better) routes around the Purbecks that won’t upset the locals (think Deliverance!)

jambalaya
    Free Member

@bikebouy me too, i have the software but device too old to upload so view/use on othe platforms

OP New Forest is quite dull for mtb-ing really, I’ve always found it a generally flat mix of fireroads and tarmac. Also what @scaredy says have had some comedy moments on foot

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I’m originally from the New Forest, but I wasn’t into MTB at the time I left. I’d love to have a decent route or two to follow.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I use both GC and Ridewithgps so can do either..

Probably better doing the RwGPS file GPX for you all, you can then either load it to GC or direct to a device..

I’ll do it in about an hour or so when on my Mac.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Take a road bike?

Only ever ridden their during HIM triathlons, but enjoyed the roads

Impression that the NF is perfect [insert latest marketing tag for riding off-road on basic forest paths) riding also

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Must admit I’ve recently been considering the idea of getting to the New Forest with the Wazoo, either by cycling via the Eling toll bridge (free for bikes I think); getting the train to Ashurst New Forest (decent pubs for food a stones throw away like The Happy Cheese); using the Hythe ferry.

My slight reluctance is due to the NIMBYs that have disrupted a number of organised rides (by Wiggle?) by throwing tacks all over routes and how easy it might be to wander off tracks that are supposed to be fine for cyclists to use.

TheBrick
    Free Member

The nf does get a lot of cyclist but in my experience there has been no more hassel road riding here than anywhere else. I think the tack thing were for the wiggle ride. I do not excuse the NIMBY actions but I can see why people get pissed off with these large organised rides. It does make it a large hassle to get anywhere, very tough to overtake a continuous string of cyclists. But wiggle makes money so who cares.

40mpg

I live here and ride off-road 2 or 3 times a week, have done for over 30 years. Mostly cheeky, very very rarely have any trouble, although there are a few hotspots its best to avoid (like riding past the verderers houses in the middle of the night).

If you stick to the enclosures no-one really gives a stuff – its the open forest, heathland and lawns which are more ecologically sensitive, and you’re in the open so obvious too.

At the moment you might want a canoe, or at least a fatbike. It was just starting to dry a bit until a week ago, all sodden again now.

Oh and despite what the naysayers say, there’s some quite interesting riding, and hills!

Northwind

wwaswas – Member

non sequitur of the day.

Just because nobody gets the joke, doesn’t undermine its legitimacy!

scaredypants

wwwaltertyrell ?

spectraken
    Free Member

Bikebuoy, would you mind sending my the gpx too please? spectraken@gmail.com ta

kerley
    Free Member

Just don’t want to piss off any of the hostile nimbies.

I have lived in New Forest for last 15 years and ride wherever I fancy. I have never had any issues and rarely even see any other people on a lot of the ‘illegal’ single track/non fire roads. It really is a pretty empty place once you get off the fire roads. In fact the only altercations I have had have been on fire roads with groups of ramblers taking up the full width of the road.
    Hope your sense of direction is better than mine as I got lost a few times before I knew all the roads allowing me to know where I was as soon as I got back to one.

I would actually avoid the roads as much as possible as most of the drivers have no consideration or patience at all for cyclists. Brow of a hill, blind bend, artificial narrowing in road – guarantee you will get drivers overtake you on it whether they can see anything coming the other way or not. It is a deliberate “I don’t care” rather than just not paying attention like you get in town/city.

DT78
    Free Member

Ride a decent amount of road in NF. Very occasionally get a punishment pass but 99% of the time people are considerate. Would be interested in decent off-road routes as well for when it dries out

redstripe
    Free Member

I’ve worked and lived here for 25 years and never had any problems riding anywhere despite the reputation. I do prefer purbeck though. Avon Tyrrell home of the big bike bash has some good tracks but not too long, but could tie in with Holmsley and Burley loops.

jambalaya
    Free Member

and hills!

Dutch Alps 😉 ?

6079smithw
    Free Member

New Forest – will I die?

I hear the motorists around there are massive ****

bikebouy
    Free Member

Righty Ho,

File sent to all those that I could get the mail address off out of their profile..

molgrips for some reason I can’t access your profile so can’t pick up your mail address. .. Let me know what it is and it’ll be on it’s way.

The loop takes in Bridleways and a few sections of road (small lanes you wouldn’t know were event there) I made it up with a combination of the NF bike routes and Wiggles offload sportive thing from a few years ago.

If you want other routes, wiggle routes, then starve has quite a few routes they have done, some good and some not so good. But one thing is the routes are on Bridleways so NO issues with access.

These routes are used by hours riders so just watch out for them, the conditions ATM are a bit rough since the rain and wind has lifted some of the smoother gravel section and left shingle type surface, so just take enough punctures to cover yourself. You maybe fine, last three times I’ve done it I’ve got none but the time before that I got 4.. but then I’m on grief’s don’t forget.

Beauty of this is Burley, it’s a quiet village, coffee shop, bike shop and big carpark..

Enjoy.

Edit: TheBrick your mail address is bouncing back…

bikebouy
    Free Member

Here you go, better have the RideWithGPS file save buggering about..

Burley Loop

molgrips
    Free Member

Merci beaucoup bb 🙂

Looks perfect for the rigid 29er, now I just need to find the time away from the family to do it 🙂

pete68
    Free Member

I got your joke northwind. Lord Tyrell must’ve felt bad.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Thanks for trying bikebouy for the email just remove the capital letters REMVME or similar from the middle.

Seems to be a few about the nf. Anyone fancy a small group ride with pub . cafe finish?

bentandbroken

Bikebouys route is good. Other alternatives can be grabbed from here

One simple route that I do a fair bit is Frogham to Fritham and back again. It’s an easy route to check out on an OS map and has the added ‘fun’ of taking you past a WW2 bombing range (and possible submarine pen miles from any water). There are a couple of parallel tracks so you don’t have to ride out and back along the same path all the way. The pubs at both ends are good, but the one at Fritham gets very busy on high days and holiday

plyphon
    Free Member

40mpg (and others)

I’m also in the New Forest… well, near enough. Near Ashurst. Riding is great for distance/fitness but not so exciting. It would be great if you could share some of your spots with me for more interesting stuff. Even if it involves a drive its got to be better than the same Happy Cheese – Deer Leap – Brockenhurst – Lyndhurst loop i’ve been doing for the past however many years.

Also as above, I only once got an offhand comment about “you shouldn’t be riding here” but tbh it was our fault as it was a VERY busy spot near the top of Lyndhurst. Common sense should of prevented us from cycling that line but meh lads init. I try to keep off fireroads as much as I can

deadkenny
    Free Member

Only time I did NF I stuck to the official off road routes and while lovely scenery, it was like riding on the road except having to stop every few minutes while ponies stroll across the path and then take an interest in your bike.

Personally I can’t be doing with being told a huge open public space is mostly off limits except for snobs on horses. I like to roam and explore and you can’t do that round there.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Thanks 🙂 Perhaps not an optimal route for me as no obvious shortcut wimp out option 😉 FYI screenshot from ecellent os maps app

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Oh yeah, I’d forgotten about the risk of being eaten alive by the New Forest Ponies that must be given way to! 😯 😆

40mpg

Plyphon – I’m in Ashurst. Ride with a couple of offshoot groups of Newforce but as its all cheeky its extra-clubular activity 😀

Mostly fatbiking now as its better for the slop, plus the opportunity to explore all the local beaches and avoid teh mud. Tonights delight is a bit of test way, into Lordswood via the back door, sports centre, common, town parks and beach down to Hamble. Nothing like mixing it up!

Got 100’s of routes for the Forest but nothing digitally recorded, just follow my random sense of direction. You’d be welcome to join us but warn – extensive pub stops compulsory, generally home by 1am (last week was upto 5.30am but had a day off after)

plyphon
    Free Member

Plyphon – I’m in Ashurst. Ride with a couple of offshoot groups of Newforce but as its all cheeky its extra-clubular activity

Mostly fatbiking now as its better for the slop, plus the opportunity to explore all the local beaches and avoid teh mud. Tonights delight is a bit of test way, into Lordswood via the back door, sports centre, common, town parks and beach down to Hamble. Nothing like mixing it up!

Got 100’s of routes for the Forest but nothing digitally recorded, just follow my random sense of direction. You’d be welcome to join us but warn – extensive pub stops compulsory, generally home by 1am (last week was upto 5.30am but had a day off after)

Do you guys sometimes tear it through Bartley Skatepark? I ride BMX there and quite often see a group with a couple of fatties (bikes) cruise through.

Would certainly be up for coming along once as the days get warmer/longer. 1am on school night?! madness.

jambalaya – sweet screenshot ! When route sharing goes live in theory you’ll be able to provide a short link to allow people to directly load up your rides. Im looking forward to that feature.

kerley
    Free Member

Personally I can’t be doing with being told a huge open public space is mostly off limits except for snobs on horses. I like to roam and explore and you can’t do that round there.

You clearly didn’t go to the New Forest in Hampshire. As I said earlier after living here for 15 years I have ridden where I want and never once had a problem.

And you will find the ‘snobs on horses’ generally stick to the road for some reason or if they go off road they stick to the fire roads.

scaredypants

FWIW, This is what I said to somebody off here a few years ago on the subject of access:

You’re right, cycling is absolutely not permitted, except on a few gravelled “roads”. Suits the verderers I guess, who effectively run the show according to 19th century rules. I’m in the “bugger ’em” camp – if they’d allow even acceptable amounts of limited acces I’d prob honour it, but they just don’t. I’ve never been stopped by a (ranger), though a few have. Nothing serious happened on the occasion I heard about, they were just asked not to ride. Once you’re out of the 500metre dogshit zone around car parks you’ll barely see a soul and other users are friendly IME

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘New Forest – will I die?’ is closed to new replies.