• This topic has 2 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by NJA.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • New for old insurance how does it work?
  • DT78
    Free Member

Filling out claim form, old laptop from 2009 was nicked. I have the receipt, was £544. Now how does new for old work? Do they supply a same spec laptop? If they can find some sort of pentium dual core thing which would be next to useless now (it was my backup machine) or do they provide a laptop worth £500 now?

Never had to claim before…..so clueless.

And for stuff I have no evidence of, say gifts, like most of my cuff links, how do you claim for those? Or do they just get declined?

skids
    Free Member

You can’t really lose on the laptop if they have to replace it for a new one. They can’t replace it with the same spec since it’s obsolete, you can still get pentium laptops but they only share the name. They will know your old laptop is only worth £20 but they have to replace it anyway

NJA

You will get a new laptop, but not a £500 laptop. It will be of a similar specification, so something fairly basic in today’s terms (but still a better spec than the obsolete one).

As far as cufflinks and things like that you are likely to get vouchers from somewhere like H Samuel which will allow you to replace them (they would be classed as Jewelery).

You shouldn’t need receipts and evidence for the smaller items, if the cufflinks were particularly valuable they might ask to see a photo or something like that.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘New for old insurance how does it work?’ is closed to new replies.