Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • New flat pedals- axles quite stiff. Do they need breaking in?
  • hora
    Free Member

The last time I had new pedals was in 2005/Shimano DX’s.

My new pedals are quite stiff to rotate – is this normal?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Yes IME

The shimano ones were probably running on open ball bearings, the new pedals probably run on at least one bushing to deal with radial loads (your bodyweight / pedaling) and a cartrige bearing to deal with axial loads (cornering).

mikewsmith
    Free Member

bit of grease?

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

I don’t know about stiff, but my SS Nanos certainly don’t spin easily, which is how it should be IMO.

HermanShake
    Free Member

They will wear in a bit. My Vaults didn’t spin freely by hand, but now they are a tad looser, the left one moreso for some reason? If they feel fine to ride but don’t spin much that’s ok. If you can feel it pedalling then maybe get inside them to back off the bearing compression nut.

Did you get the 5tens?

hora
    Free Member

SS Nanos

These are the ones that I have…but why?

Surely it takes more energy for your legs to rotate the pedals?

Did you get the 5tens?

Maskells tonight 8) Just trying to find them as cheap as possible so I can get them price-matched..

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Nukeproofs here, they’re a little stiff. You get perhaps one rotation if you flick them by hand. Not like my bikes as a kid, they just kept spinning for ages.

thepurist

These are the ones that I have…but why?

It’s so when you pull a superman on your lokal skillz spot the pedalz are still ready for you to plant your feet, innit bruv.

Northwind

hora – Member

An unnoticably tiny difference, but yeah.

They’ll break in though.

hora
    Free Member

It’s so when you pull a superman on your lokal skillz spot the pedalz are still ready for you to plant your feet, innit bruv.

Either that or you don’t want them spinning ferociously like a shin band-saw with those teeth coming towards you 😆

zbonty

I couldn’t get on with the bearings in the DXs. A pain to adjust ime

The pins are almost impossible to remove, even from new and the short ones offer no grip when it’s wet.
    Heavy and fat (tall). I could go on.

My least favourite Shimano product ever, sorry.

hora
    Free Member

I meant the Shimano DX spds

zbonty

Just re-read the your op. Some big landings to flat will shake them loose.

FS: DX flats. One frustrated owner!

tinsy
    Free Member

Been quite a mission this swapping to flats hasn’t it… When I tried them it went like this:-

Bought flat pedals.
    Fitted flat pedals.
    Put skate shoes with waffle sole on.
    Went for a ride.

Didn’t like it.

Put trusty 520’s back on.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

My process went like this:-

Bought Flat Pedals
    Fittes Flats
    Put shimano flat shoes on
    Went for a ride

Did’t like it

Persevered

Now never going back to spd’s.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

hora, my superstar nanos were noticeably less freely spinning than the DMR V8s they replaced. a few months in, they move a little easier but not loads. it’s not a problem, tbh i prefer them to be like this than spinning all over the place.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

My process went like this:-

Bought Flat Pedals
    Fittes Flats
    Put shimano flat shoes on
    Went for a ride

Did’t like it

Persevered

Now never going back to spd’s.

If it ain’t broke don’t fix it, there is nothing being clipped is stopping me doing.

Northwind

tinsy – Member

Went for a ride.
    Didn’t like it.

If you really didn’t give it a chance or put in the time to adapt, why even bother? It’s like the damn fools that fall off once because of their SPDs and decide it’s not for them, as if it doesn’t get better.

tinsy
    Free Member

I was not trying to start a debate just pointing out that trying them is not hard to do.

FWIW I only tried them as I had a knee opp & still had stitches in, I thought it would save me twisting to get my foot unclipped, it was not a fair test really, but I just did not like the not being attached feeling.

Each to their own.

traildog
    Free Member

I got a cheap pair of flat pedals (that were still ok-ish), rode in my trainers. Found it difficult and didn’t like it – which told me I needed to practice more.
    Eventually got some good shoes. Learned to love flat pedals
    Then got some good pedals.

You are really overthinking something which is very simple.

I wouldn’t worry about the pedal being a bit stiff sapping your energy. Can you rotate them by hand? Now imagine how much more power your feet generate.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘New flat pedals- axles quite stiff. Do they need breaking in?’ is closed to new replies.