Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • New F1 points system
  • piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/7948455.stm

Formula 1 has introduced a new points system that will see the driver with most wins crowned world champion.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Right an’ all. The point should be about winning races, not going for ‘positions’.

I felt Massa ‘deserved’ it more last year. I felt he actually drove better, race by race. He went for the win, more than the place. That makes for a more exciting spectacle. He was also quite unlucky, really, with things beyond his control. Lewis seemed to **** things up on his own, more.

Looking forward to a good season. Should be exciting. Hopefully a lot more open, with the performance of the cars a lot more equal. Better than the usual two-horse race it usually is. McLaren and Ferrari had the momentum that success brings, and makes it increasingly difficult for other teams to compete against.

Brrrmmm…..

retro83
    Free Member

Maybe I remember wrongly, but didn’t they reduce the points awarded for a win a few years ago to make things better for the small teams?
    I mean getting a 4th place for Force India would be a great result, but now it will mean bugger all.

matthew_h
    Free Member

Retro 83 is correct.

Load of arse from the FIA again

thepurist

I thought this had been suggested by Willow but the teams, public and FIA had all told him it was total arse.

It’ll be interesting to compare the ‘points’ leader with the ‘wins’ leader during the season. Eg. last year Kubica’s fantastic consistency and reliability would have been completely worthless when it comes to the championship race.

uplink
    Free Member

It’s about winning so in my mind winners should be rewarded
    There’s nothing worse than teams doing the sums towards the end of the season & trying to work out what the least they have to do is

RudeBoy
    Free Member

When I started watching F1, back in the 80s Mansell/Piquet/Prost days, I think it was 9 points for a win, with 6 for 2nd place. Meaning that winning gave you a relatively higher points advantage than today’s 10/8 system.

A lot of the new rules have been introduced to make F1 a more exciting spectacle. I mean, come on, it’s been pretty bloody boring and predictable in recent years. You knew from before the first race, it was going to be either McLaren or Ferrari for the titles. Now, hopefully, we could see Renault, Williams, BMW, Red Bull and even Brawn in the running.

The conclusion of last season was a bit farcical, to be honest. Massa drove the perfect race, and was brilliant, whereas Hamilton was incredibly spawny. For him to become Champion by sheer fact that a car in front slowed down, really diluted it as a sporting spectacle.

Brrrrrmmmmmm…..

druidh
    Free Member

They’ve changed the point system before. The last time was to stop Michael Schumacher running away with it (again). I actually quite liked Mosleys idea of Gold, Silver, Bronze and **** the rest. Most Golds wins, Silver & Bronze only used as a tie-breaker.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

but if you reduce the number of positions getting points the racing will become incredibly boring!

Think about it, generaly its a 2 horse race at the front, with a few seconds between 2 cars, then 20-30seconds to third, then th rest of the pack. If only the first 3 cars are getting any points, then everyoen from about 6th onwards may as well just pack up and go home. At least with 8 points positions, there’s a realitic chance of getting points even if your down in 12th or lower (overtake one, a good pit stop, a crash, thats 4 places at least).

RudeBoy
    Free Member

To improve clarity, wet tyres have also been renamed “intermediates” and extreme weather tyres are now called “wet”.

I’m too confused and need to have a lie down now.

BBBBRRRRRRRMMMMMMM………..

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Dum, der der der, de de de de der dum

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Ooh, I tell you what, I can’t wait to hear the bass solo of that, Cheesy!

The BESTEST motor racing title music ever, FACT. That slow, rumbling build up, to the crescendo of noise was perfect for F1. Really got the adrenaline pumping.

Fleetwood Mac must be quite pleased!

RudeBoy
    Free Member

It’s Murraytastic!

Ooh, I’ve got goosebumps, listening to that! I think i’m looking forward more to the theme tune, than the actual racing!

I’m SOOOOOOO EXCITED!

(Has little ‘accident’)

The-Beard

The F1 Teams proposal of going 12-9-7-6-4-2-3-1 was much better. Bernie and Max are the problem with F1 these days. Sooner they’re gone the better.

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Any one got any decent photos of “pit babes” while we are on the F1 discussion??

Top heavy lovlies are my fav 🙄

BTW Iceman will win this year, i bet you a zillion quid :mrgreen:

uplink
    Free Member

I see the bookies have JB as 11/4 favourite for the Oz win
    who’da thunk that a couple of weeks ago?

The-Beard

This is why they introduced the new system.

Italian Willy Wavers not happy with reliability so have a wee word in the FIA’s ear.

just a theory… 😉

sockpuppet

there’s a lot to be said for the most consistent driver over the season winning the championship – reduces the effect that luck/random events have over the outcome.

still, as long as the rules are set at the start of the year, it’s all the same for everyone. this time we’re looking for the ‘driver with most wins’ instead is all.

as an aside – didn’t it used to be 6/5/4/3/2/1 for the points back in the day? late 80s/early 90s?

sootyandjim
    Free Member

The problem with the F1 theme tune is every time I hear it now I think “the chain”.

sqwheeler

I hate to say it, but the Moby tune (although ITV mushed it a bit) beats the Mac every time for me.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Sockpuppet; no, I think it was 9/6/4/3/2/1. Top six places, now it’s 8, with 10/8/6/5/4/3/2/1.

clubber
    Free Member

Not sure I’d have been very happy if Massa had won last year on these rules since the stewards gave him a race victory that they shouldn’t have done. I suppose that I just hope that the stwearding is improved to avoid that sort of problem.

Anyway, in general I do like the idea of wins deciding the title. FWIW, there will still be points but they’ll simply be overridden by wins so for the teams that won’t win anything this year, they’ll be fighting for points just like normal – all it means is that like last year when Toro Rosso won, that would have rocketed Vettel up the championship table which seems reasonable enough to me. I’m presuming that the constructor’s championship will remain on points only.

Anyone else seen about the $30m optional budget cap with different regs – much as I hate to admit it (not being any kind of a fan of Max), that’s actually quite a genius idea IMO and might throw in a few interesting results in 2010.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

I hate to say it, but the Moby tune (although ITV mushed it a bit) beats the Mac every time for me.

Burn him. Burn him now.

BLLLAAAAAAAASSSPPPPHHHHEEEEEEEEMMMEEERR!!!!!!!

ITV tune was typical souless ‘advert’ music. The Chain is THE F1 choon, FACTOID.

sqwheeler

The Chain is THE F1 choon, FACTOID.

I stand corrected. I will revel in the Mac and bow down to the whackedy whack genius of Mick Fleetwood’s mahoosive drums played with a couple of freshly felled sitka spruce. Moby has left the building.

uplink
    Free Member

There’s been a few tunes hasn’t there? that tosser in the hat [JK] did one & also a Bachman Turner Overdrive tune at one stage

allyharp

What I find interesting about that article is this (for next season):

optional budget cap of £30m

What the hell is the point in that? Is there any reward for opting in?

sqwheeler

Is there any reward for opting in?

Yup, less technical restrictions e.g. no restriction on engine revs. Should be entertaining.

The-Beard

The Chain is THE F1 choon, FACTOID

Amen, brother!

clubber
    Free Member

But the teams have a choice about whether or not they will adhere to the £30m cap and those that do will be granted a level of technical freedom withheld from those not signing up.

Stu

Points scoring systems since 1950

Can’t see this one lasting, especially if someone wins the championship long before the end of the season…

stumpy01

Wake me up when it’s over, please?

I HOPE HOPE HOPE it is more exciting than for perhaps the last 15yrs but doubt it will be. Everytime they bring in new measures I think that it might change things but it doesn’t. It’s just boring.

uplink
    Free Member

Can’t see this one lasting, especially if someone wins the championship long before the end of the season…

I’m not sure that’s any more likely to happen than with the current points system.
    If you check back over the last few years it would have still gone down to the last couple of races.
    The last time anyone was really dominant was 2004 with Schumacher winning 12 of the first 13 races – even then he would have technically been WC at the same point regardless of which system you measure it against [after race 10, I think]

taxi25
    Free Member

I think it sucks!! If you have a 17rnd championship surely there has to be a reward for consistency.I wouldn’t want to see the champion crowned on the basis of maybe 5 race wins and 12 dnf’s.

uplink
    Free Member

That could so easily be a reward for boredom though

neverfastenuff
    Free Member

Lets just backtrack here..

Ok, the drivers can win the DRIVERS CHAMPIONSHIP with the most wins.

But the CONSTRUCTORS CHAMPIONSHIP will still rely on ther points tally at the end of the season..

Therefore, coming 4th, 4th, 10th will mean something to the individual teams in prize money ?

hora
    Free Member

I can’t see F1 surviving as it is over the next few years, teams will leave and it’ll become a shell like rally. Who wants to watch Citroen/Ford?

Sad really but I magic isnt going to comeback to F1. Roll on the rival series please.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Roll on the rival series please

Isn’t that A1 GP?
    Doesn’t seem to have got the widespread acceptance that F1 has and it certainly doesn’t have the glamour.

F1 will evolve, but can’t see it dissapearing

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

Spoony is on the money there. What’s the point in the other drivers racing hard when they’re 4-5th place down? No chance of a realistic win so they’ll just trundle round.
    If a driver wins the first 9 races, he can now have an early holiday as he’s won it, no need to do the remaining 8. With the points system, the win comes much later at least, gone to the final race several times in the last few years.
    Its just another stupid ill though out idea, like pretty much everything else they’ve come up with recently.
    This season will probably have some good frontline moments, but ulimately be crap.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Thinking about it, they’ve made huge changes to the technical regulations to make overtaking ‘easier’, and then they change the sporting regulations to make overtaking less of an incentive if your not jostling for 1st place.

Genius

What tools they are…..

thepurist

The incentive for the lower drivers is the same as it always was – after all if you’re not in a race winning car why bother at all? All of the other championship places will be decided on points, as will the prize money which goes toward funding the teams for the next year. So there’s still the same incentive to fight for 6th place.

They’re setting themselves up for a fail though as the points table will still have to be published and it’ll look a bit daft if the ‘world champion’ is down in 3rd place on the table.

BTW – anyone feeling differently about the Chain after Heroes (BBC3) on Mon night?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘New F1 points system’ is closed to new replies.