Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • New external BB time: Recommendations required please…
  • TroutWrestler
    Free Member

I have been using Enduro Bearings Max type bearings that I have been pressing into old XT shells, but I have been killing them faster than I might have liked. I have no more left from when I last ordered a few sets from the US, so now is a good time to potentially change my BB strategy. Any reason why I shouldn’t buy Deore or another budget equivalent?

Any recommendations?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

If you get deore etc you are turning it into a consumable and accepting that you will landfill lots of them because they are cheap.

My experience with Hope Stainless is 2 years and still smooth. Previous threads concur and mean I have probably just got them bedded in nicely. Fit & Forget for years or keep swapping and changing bearings.

I’d buy another hope – if these ever fail…..

Slogo
    Free Member

maybe the cups are worn. i would get a new complete BB. Hope FTW

lipseal
    Free Member

I like the look of these…Phil Wood

jonnyvegas
    Free Member

mine have Phil woods grease in them 3 rides old..

18 quid posted worth a try.. 😀

trail_rat
    Free Member

stuck a hope ceramic on my race bike 3 years ago after killing an XT in 6 months

Still sweet as a nut

when i built up my touring bike 2 years ago – i stuck in a ceramic BB and its given me no issues.

My mrs has a duraace on her road bike – 8 months in – its gubbed. – guess what itll be replaced with !

neninja
    Free Member

XTR or Saint BB from Rose bikes

reggiegasket
    Free Member

this question comes up a lot. My SS Hopes are okay but I’ve replaced the bearings twice now, so not brilliant. May go CK next time, with the injector tool for re-greasing.

smell_it
    Free Member

My experience with hope is the same as reggies above. Although I’m most likely to pick the path of increasing the land fill with cheap shimano’s as they used to last me the same time as a set of bearings for the hope.

Freester

I could go through a set of Shimano XTs in 3 months. Got the standard (non-ceramic) Hope and it’s been going 2 years. Got a bit clicky after 18 months I just had the seals off and packed in a bit more grease and it’s happy as larry.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘New external BB time: Recommendations required please…’ is closed to new replies.