Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • New extension- tell me what you think of the designs
  • Taff
    Free Member

You’ll get 1.1w/m2k relatively easily and cheaply but under is going to start tipping the balance cost wise

donsimon
    Free Member

Yeah, but you’re probbly one of those weirdos who like to walk around in the nudd with no curtains, full knowing all your neighbours can see in in fact that’s why you do it. Pervert. Deviant!

As they say in L’Oreal land, it’s because I’m worth it! 😈 And they shouldn’t be looking anyway.

Light wise, these skytubes, or whatever you want to call them, look quite interesting (to me anyway).

creamegg
    Free Member

A what? That’s one of those ponced-up terms try to make it sound more important, like Horticultural Engineer, or Educational Catering Facilitator or something….

I disagree. There’s a distinct difference between Architect, Architectual Technician and draughtsman. A drafty usually has limited knowledge of construction and architectute but knows CAD inside out. An architectual technologist usually sorts out the technical and practical aspect of a design whereas an architect would mainly come up with the design concept. These roles inevitably merge and overlap and will vary accross teh industry but thats generally the case in my experience. This design however does look to have been produced by a drafty with little or no regard to architecture. I would expect an architectual technician to have far more vision than shown here.

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

So we’re all agreed it’s a crap design then, and given the budget a flat roof and more windows is the way forward?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I disagree. There’s a distinct difference between Architect, Architectual Technician and draughtsman. A drafty usually has limited knowledge of construction and architectute but knows CAD inside out. An architectual technologist usually sorts out the technical and practical aspect of a design whereas an architect would mainly come up with the design concept. These roles inevitably merge and overlap and will vary accross teh industry but thats generally the case in my experience. This design however does look to have been produced by a drafty with little or no regard to architecture. I would expect an architectual technician to have far more vision than shown here.

What-ever! It’s a building, not great art. Unless it’s a building what can be considered to be a work of art. Ooh I dunno.

Ah. Feel better now. 🙂

mrben100
    Free Member

To give my 2 pence the Technologist (if he is a technologist can actually sign of Architects Instructions if he’s MCIAT) may have taken into account the OP’s budget and merely provided the most cost effective solution. More than likely was signed off by an Architect before leaving the office.

In my experience, as one of these apparently ineffectual professionals, is that good design generally cost a bit more in materials etc. not just the actual design. Things such as green roofs cost money don’t you know.

Not defending the design as it doesn’t look great, but I’ve lost count of the amount of ‘beautiful’ Architects designs I’ve had to sort out because they are in no way compliant…………..but look great. 🙄

OP – one thing to bear in mind is the cost of a likely SAP required if you go with alot of glazing. if you exceed 1/20th the floor area of the extension (but you can allow for the existing door that you are covering up) then Building Control will more than likely require a SAP calculations to prove its Part L performance. Increasing areas of glazing can lead to the need for increasing the performance thermally of the walls, floor and roof – not diffcult but adds expense and may reduce effective floor area if you have to increase wall thickness. May be able to take the extension and existing house combined as downstairs now seems fairly open planned and assess with a few consequential improvements.

Flat roofs are completely fine (we spec Sarnafil alot here). Make sure it’s warm roof construction as third parties (NHBC) tend not to insure cold.

Handrail – agreed tends to only be required where the drop is 600mm or over, if it is required though the guarding design certainly would be compliant – should all be picked up by regs.

Since when have people had a ‘right to light?’ not to be overlooked or massing not appropriate for the area maybe but light?

Not particularly sure where I went with that one, going to go and play on bike. 😳

EDIT: 25% of floor area not 1/20th with regards to glazing and SAP’s! 😳

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

Cheers MrBen, he has this qualification, BSc Architectural Technology, and though I’m not aware of any professional memberships he comes recommended by several people and has a long history working for a LARGE Northern practice.

I think you hit the nail on the head when you said

may have taken into account the OP’s budget and merely provided the most cost effective solution. More than likely was signed off by an Architect before leaving the office.

My main beef, apart from it being ugly, is that given his self acknowledgement that the design might upset the planners and if you have doubts about your own work should you be giving it to clients.

ebygomm
    Free Member

Since when have people had a ‘right to light’

Since 1832!

off-the-pace
    Free Member

I have only looked at the beginning this thread, and rapidly scanned to the end which is perhaps unfortunate for Mr Ben as I have ended up responding to his post but it is directed generally.

Dear MrBen

At a guess you will be an ‘Architectural Technologist’, a ‘Technician’ or whatever. It’s interesting that it is only you and your peers that argue that you have knowledge, understanding, ability and responsibility equal to that of an Architect. Nobody else in the building industry, property world, central and local Government, industry, commerce, insurance, education, etc., etc. agrees with you. Unfortunately, from yours and your peers point of view, your post rather reveals that these people are right.

Regards

To the OP

If you ask these sort of questions it generally means you know the answers. So, yes, that design is rank bad (and not implementable under Planning Law and Building Regulations). Having got that settled do you really think that this forum if the best place to redesign it give the forum’s track record of uninformed opinion, failure to listen and amateur advice?

Yes, I am a bit grumpy today

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

do you really think that this forum if the best place to redesign it give the forum’s track record of uninformed opinion, failure to listen and amateur advice?

Probably not but worth a punt, sometimes we surprise ourselves on here.

I’m more suprised that we got half way down the the second page people started insulting each other

off-the-pace
    Free Member

I’m more suprised that we got half way down the the second page people started insulting each other

Very true, and my apologies for adding to it.

On your original post there’s no reason whatsoever (from a technical point of view) not to have a flat roof. A good reason to do it could be to get a first floor terrace with french windows from your bedroom. Don’t mention that to the Planners though because they will get all exited about loss of privacy in your neighbour’s garden.

Also, check things in relation to ‘Party Walls’. You may be able to use the existing conservatory wall your neighbours have so kindly provided and BTW, in that respect your existing plans won’t go through Building Control. The good news is you could get a bigger (and cheaper) kitchen by compling.

chickenman

I would rate your chances of a 15deg Pantiled roof staying watertight for very long as considerably lower than a flat roof with something like Rhepanol on it, plus, as has been said,is a much better use of the available wall area on the existing building. Plus pantiles don’t look great (and are hard to seal) around rooflights etc IMO.

dave65
    Free Member

http://www.ultraframe-conservatories.co.uk/orangery-products/orangery-conservatory-gallery/

Just a thought,flat roof with loads of light, plenty of downlighter options for in the ceiling. Did one in a kitchen extension last year, customers were very pleased.

mrben100
    Free Member

OP – Any decent Technologist/Technician/’or whatever’ would have a CIAT (Chartered Institute of Architecural Technologists) accreditation – MCIAT/ACIAT etc. To call himself a Technologist he would need to have the MCIAT – much like a designer calling himself an Architect they’ll get into trouble.

A Technologist should be adequate for this type of project – often considered as a poor mans Architect – though it may end up function over form

Blimey, a bit of filling in the blanks there ‘off the pace’ (or should that be ‘off the mark’?) 😉

Just giving a voice to the Techs who it appears according to this thread nobody had ever heard of.

Point is to free up the Architects for design/contract administration etc.

When it comes to technical detail yes the techs know more, its what they do every day – liaising with Building Control, Contractors, Clients, dare I say it architects?

I can only assume that your heart was broken by a Tech and the pain is too much. 🙁

off-the-pace
    Free Member

I can only assume that your heart was broken by a Tech and the pain is too much.

MrBen, surely you were taught the dangers of assumption! All I’ve had at the hands of technicians is disappointment that their knowledge, understanding and ability didn’t live up to their claims, regret that their insistence of competence was baseless, and a realisation that, far from knowing the answers, they didn’t even know the questions!

Technicians can assist Architects, just as clerks can assist lawyers and nurses assist doctors but you wouldn’t want a clerk defending you in court nor a nurse doing your cardiac surgery. To think that there is any field at all where a technician might have superior knowledge to an Architect is delusional and to let technicians out into the world unsupervised would be irresponsible and dangerous (to the environment, to clients and to my professional indemnity insurance premium).

Just my take as an employer in the industry over 30 years.

Oh, I concede that, as in any other field, a good proportion of Architects are incompetent but that’s a different argument.

v666ern
    Free Member

Technicians can assist Architects, just as clerks can assist lawyers and nurses assist doctors but you wouldn’t want a clerk defending you in court nor a nurse doing your cardiac surgery. To think that there is any field at all where a technician might have superior knowledge to an Architect is delusional and to let technicians out into the world unsupervised would be irresponsible and dangerous (to the environment, to clients and to my professional indemnity insurance premium).

Ah the world of the planning architect…as an arch tech and having just corrected another architect bodged design where a 2 1/2 storey block of apartments couldnt be reached due to there being no head room in the communal staircase…goes to show 5 years at uni cant buy you everything.

MY ADVICE,
    1. GET THE ARCHITECT AT THE PRACTISE TO DESIGN WHAT YOU WANT TO SEE (I HAVE ZERO DESIGN FLAIR THATS WHY IM A TECHY)
    2. GET THE TECHY TO THEN DESIGN IT DOWN TO WHAT YOU CAN AFFORD AND BUILD (MULTIPLE ROOFLIGHTS WOULD BE CHEAPER THAN ONE LARGE ONE AS YOU WOULD HAVE TO CUT MORE ROOF TIMBERS TO FIT THEM IN HENCE WOULD NEED BIGGER TIMBERS)
    3. GET THEM TO REMODEL IT UNTIL YOUR SATISFIED
    4. TRY AND GET A PLANNER TO COME OUT, OR MOST PLANNING DEPTS WILL DO A DROP IN DAY WHEN ONE PLANNER IS AVAILABLE TO DISCUSS WHAT YOU WANT TO PROPOSE – TAKE ON THERE THOUGHTS AND GET THE TECH TO INCORPORATE THEM
    5. GET AS MANY REPUTABLE BUILDERS TO COST IT AS POSSIBLE

PS IN THE MODEL,THAT KITCHEN WINDOW SHOULD BE MAX 1050MM DEEP TO ALLOW THE WORKTOP TO FIT UNDER THE CILL HEIGHT
    ——-
    12 YEARS AS AN ARCH TECH FOR A LOT OF MAJOR NATIONAL HOUSEBUILDERS, EXTENSIONS
    3 YEARS AS SENIOR TECH DOING LISTED MANSIONS REFURBISHMENTS, ORANGERIES, BASEMENT SWIMMING POOLS…1 PLACE HAD A CRICKET PITCH AND PAVILLION IN THERE GARDEN!

and keep us informed of how it goes!
    ONC LEVEL TRAINING (2 YEARS)

v666ern
    Free Member

PpS SORRY for SHOUTING 😳

fenboy

my input

you get what you pay for! and if you’re not happy with the design get him to change it, If he won’t/can’t then you’re not happy with his service so change him.

there are plenty of talented and competent architects and technologists out there who would be glad of the work

mrben100
    Free Member

OP – sorry for the apparent hijack of your original post, hope you get a resolution you are happy with.

Off The Pace – I agree with the sentiment of your last post.

However use of the term Technologist infers a whole new level of competancy to that of a Technician.

Architectural Technologist

They can set up their own parctice and have PII and everything – they’ll be getting the vote next 😉

DenDennis
    Free Member

BenHouldsworth – Member- We’ve paid no money or sign no contracts yet so not overly concerned at this point.

just a thought OP, given the above, do you think that airing drawn work on a public forum that you don’t have copyright for is very clever??

(not that you’d want the copyright)

v666ern
    Free Member

Im bad at 3d CAD, 2d only but i could come up with a better model than that with google sketch up…i certainly wouldnt feel happy showing that to a client…
    the window is too deep, the downpipe too large, door & window heads on the new section dont line through with the existing house (change of levels/Step in the new extension?)
    but it is just preliminary!

superdale
    Free Member

Ben – from just looking at the 3D image and the plans, it looks like you could get away from the awful looking mono-pitch roof, and go with a more traditional truss roof. Using interlocking tiles the pitch could be as little as 15 degrees, which Velux can also be fitted at. Because you have shown base units around the 3 new walls you could reduce the height at the eave to 2.1m inside, and still get a reasonable 2.3m 600mm out into the room where you stand. If you want to keep the door on the side, then just krank the roof truss over the door to get the extra head height, or I would put the door at the end leading you to the steps upto the garden. By using exposed timber trusss with an elevated tie beam it would look modern and keep the cost down. Also if you want side windows but more light Velux do off-the-shelf combined roof & vertical windows? As below:

Velux combined

Hope that helps.

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

just a thought OP, given the above, do you think that airing drawn work on a public forum that you don’t have copyright for is very clever??

You may have a point but I’ve made the effort not to identify the ‘artist’ and other than saying I don’t like it haven’t slandered them anywhere so not too worried about legal action.

Superdale, thanks for the ideas, see a prospective builder tomorrow so will ask for his thoughts

Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘New extension- tell me what you think of the designs’ is closed to new replies.