• This topic has 35 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by juan.
Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • New event ideas
  • WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Thinking of new events that might happen IF I run another bike event and I was thinking of:

Legend or Loser
    You ride a short XC course, fire three arrows within the inner three circles of the target, ride down to a lake jump, swap bikes and do a Lake jump followed by a swim across the lake. Then you run back around the lake to the bike which you ride to the climbing wall, climb the wall with your bike on your back and abseil back down. Final sprint up the slalom course.

Timed event, fastest wins something.

Is this the kind of event that appeals to anyone here? Any other suggestions? Those who attended the first BBB know the facilities on offer.

rolfharris
    Free Member

Like It's A Knockout but a real life competition and no cameras?

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

But I will have a gun*. Just trying to work out how to fit a fire into the whole show.

*watergun

rolfharris
    Free Member

Jump through a hoop of fire into the lake?

Starrman28
    Free Member

I've always thought it would be a good to do Biathlon on MTB, not sure about riding round with a Rifle on your back but a bow & arrow would be fun.

RealMan
    Free Member

climb the wall with your bike on your back

And when do we pick up the sword to fight off the lions?

Sounds insane. And fun.

jockhaggis
    Free Member

Cover XC course with petrol. Give the rider a 10 second start then light the track behind him.

carlphillips
    Free Member

sounds ace, but i doubt they'd let you do the climbing wall thing with a bike which could potentially sever the rope (chainrings etc) you could replace with a heavy rucksac??

i'd do that race…

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Realman – I was wondering about using their high ropes course for some extreme northshore but not certain how 60ft up riding on ropes and planks would go down with other people.

I can't get lions but there are some pretty feisty ponies.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Spin the tyre.
    You hold a bike tyre out at arms length, spin round on the spot 20 times focussing on the tyre, then run round a cone a 100 feet away and back to the start.
    Fastest time wins.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Bike could dangle below you secured by a piece or rope held in your teeth.

I managed to get a lake jump into 3ft of water past their health and safety guy and even had 12 year olds doing it. And I ran this years event without insurance.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Bloke with long username – That is in next years BBB*

*If it happens

RealMan
    Free Member

How about just a race where the rules are

THERE ARE NO RULES.

Except no biting, of course.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Realman – I never mentioned rules. Just stuff you have to do.

I don't get on with rules

Jason
    Free Member

The spinning around sounds good, but how making it part of a slalom bike drag race. So spin around 20 times, jump on your bike, ride around the barrels, first one back is through to the next round.

The pint-to-pint idea you had this time would be good. How about making it a 2 hour enduro on the xc course, at the end of each lap you have to drink a pint before starting the next one. Should even things up with the race whippets a bit.

Did you really run this year with no insurance? You are mad if you did. From speaking to organisers of other events insurance cover isn't that expensive.

nicks
    Free Member

48hour mtb race … first in the world ??

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Yeah I ran it without insurance. Most insurance is something like £1.50 per rider per race. I had 30 different events including a lake jump. That would have taken a few grand out of the money we raised so I just bet my house nothing would go wrong.

I won and the charity got over £2K and I still have a house.

I did sweat a bit when I let the 12 year old do the lake jump but what could possibly go wrong?

aracer
    Free Member

Most insurance is something like £1.50 per rider per race. I had 30 different events including a lake jump. That would have taken a few grand out of the money we raised

I may be totally out of touch since it's a little while since I've run an event, but when I did, insurance cover was nothing like that much per rider.

so I just bet my house nothing would go wrong.

That and everything else you own or hoped to own for the foreseeable future!

Anyway, to come back to the suggestion for a new event – isn't it a bit soft to let them switch bikes for the lake jump, rather than make them swim across pulling the same bike with them? Better yet, provide oil drums, rope and sticks at the far side of the lake – convert your bike into a pedallo and ride back.

NZCol

WCA good work well done.

As an aside, we had a rifle shoot and archery during an expedition race. 3 days in on 4 hours sleep we spent the next day and half giggling about the fact we all tried to shoot the 'deer' (which was the target) in the bum hole and knackers. Simple minds….

sharki
    Free Member

Bike jousting, wearing stumosuits.. winner.

Muke
    Free Member

Next years BBB is going to be so good…….You know it 😀

DavidB
    Free Member

Mountain bike ploughing – Might need to be a team event

Combined XC/STW forum posting – Each post gets a 5 second time bonus

Camelback beer XC race – start course with a 3 litre fill, can't finish till empty

pitcherpro
    Free Member

Why not a multi lap race utilizing many different styles of mtb riding with proper xc climbs and singletrack , dh sections some "shore" OR even a few jumps too just to make it more interesting ?

bassspine
    Free Member

the arrows thing would be better if it was done from the back of a moving tandem.

shark pool game: cone an area off. riders stay inside cones. rules are don't touch ground, don't leave coned area. judges move cones inward, shrinking the 'pool'. last rider on bike wins.
    I've played a game of this which was won by headbutt.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

bassspine – We call it 'foot down' and it was at this years BBB. Will feature next year too probably

uplink
    Free Member

How about something like a race where you need to periodically get you & some parts of your bike through small gaps necessitating stripping it of wheels/saddle etc. & then reassembling it before carrying on?
    You could maybe make the hole just big enough to take a 26" wheel without a tyre? 😀

crazy-legs

And I ran this years event without insurance.

Insanity.
    I suggest you look into it a bit more before next years event cos it doesn't cost anything like as much as you make out.

gusamc
    Free Member

mtb polo
    protected keeper area
    not allowed to hit whilst not feet up
    not allowed to tackle head on (from side in same direction)
    (I have played motoball – same rules)

mudhound
    Free Member

Uplink I was thinking along those lines like cadets gun carriage races – just need 2 or 3 per team and some swing ropes across a roped off gap/bit of grass wheels off and then ferry bits across.
    For ultimate random start have 2 fit 2 tubeless tyres and swap these across 2 other team bikes at the start of each lap. Build a bike up from scratch race? Or the 3 arm race – arms braced so hands/elbows toching – with 3 ridersd abreat and linked (the 4 arm) race round an oval grass circuit would be like charoit racing!

IanMunro
    Free Member

WCA,
    This is what you want –
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRz6Liho94g

And for the evening –
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xT7Fz4DfZps

mudhound
    Free Member

Middle rider doesn't touch bars so need tubes/cable ties to link bars of 3 bikes. A dirt ramp or 2 and chicanon the oval course and your're away. Could even start opposite sides off track and0 have pursuits if 4 team abreast chariot racing too much for insurance

soma_rich
    Free Member

I did sweat a bit when I let the 12 year old do the lake jump

You were sweating????

I couldnt watch!

bassspine
    Free Member

WCA what ever you call it, it's a brilliant laugh 🙂
    we do a diluted no-contact version in some cycling classes for school kids, always a success. The kids take it seriously, 'adults' have more fun but there's usually more wounding…

DezB
    Free Member

MTB jousting please.

epicyclo

DavidB – Member
    Mountain bike ploughing – Might need to be a team event

That'll be the 'Puffer then.

nicks – Member
    48hour mtb race … first in the world ??

I'm up for it. Even do it on a fixie if you promise no jumps into lakes 🙂

juan
    Free Member

Combined XC/STW forum posting – Each post gets a 5 second time bonus

You do know that by making such rule, even hoora or sfb could win it…

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘New event ideas’ is closed to new replies.