• This topic has 198 replies, 34 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by will.
Viewing 39 posts - 161 through 199 (of 199 total)
  • New Endomondo Challenge for the Winter Commuters out there
  • GrahamS

Is that 20psi in your tyres trail_rat?

Blimey! I was running the WMs at the full 70psi.

Edit: *enhance* ahh it’s a thermometer, not a pressure guage 😀

trail_rat
    Free Member

thats a thermometor.

GrahamS

Bit nippy out then?

trail_rat
    Free Member

it was showing -9 C the 20 is F

GrahamS

Yep, that’s cold!

Any tips for keeping my toes warm? I was wearing two pairs of thermal socks today and they were still a bit nippy by the end.

(I don’t really want to wear overshoes if I can possibly avoid it!)

will
    Free Member

You can buy toes warmers, which just go over the end of your shoes. never used them though so no idea how good they are.

woody2000

Why no overshoes Graham? I find a thin pair of wool socks and overshoes just about ideal on the commute. Bulking up with extra socks seem to make my feet colder!

trail_rat
    Free Member

the cheapo merino ebay socks on here a bit back , inside mw01s inside mt500 overshoes = warm happy feet

GrahamS

Why no overshoes Graham?

Pure vanity. I look enough of a gimp as it is.

But that said, if it saves me a toe..

TPTcruiser

Proper snow strikes Sheffield.
    Snowy scene on the TPT Sheffield
    Half hour longer to get to work. Way home could be a problem.

GrahamS

As posted on another thread:

Was brutal character building this morning. Couple of inches of thick wet snow on the ground offering little if any traction, even with Schwalbe Winter Marathons at 30 odd psi. Spent most of my 11 mile commute going sideways.

That in itself would have been fun – but not when combined with driving wet sleet that soaked though all my waterproofs*

I even took to the road for some of it, I was that desperate!

On the bright side I managed to stay more-or-less vertical and I levelled up my Skid Correction ability.

*(got Mt500 overshoes at the weekend. Looked about as gimpy as feared. My feet still got soaked but they were warmer so cheers. Sealskinz “waterproof” gloves on the other (numb) hand were rubbish. Filled with water then got heavy and very cold).

woody2000

That sounds a lot like my ride in too Graham. Roads surprisingly bad here, I was overtaking traffic on one of the busiest main roads which really surprised me. Snow studs seem to work ok on well compacted snow and ice, or through very fresh stuff, but any snow that had been spread by cars and slushed up was lethal. Like you, managed to stay upright though (just!). Didn’t get too wet as it was still snowing, legs got a bit wet from passing cars throwing up slush but feet and hands warm enough.

Will be taking a more offroad route home I think!

ahwiles
    Free Member

i only came into work so i could bag another 22k for the challenge…

Graham, the British economy thanks you!

(crookes to catcliffe: some riding, some pushing, some carrying, some crashing)

GrahamS

I wouldn’t count on off-road being any better if it starts gets slushy out. I even rode on the dual carriageway, something I usually avoid at all costs, because I just wasn’t getting anywhere on the paths.

(and fears of dual carriageway confirmed. Despite the conditions I still had drivers buzzing me dangerously close as they raced to the next set of lights. 👿 )

Anyway I have pussied out and called the missus for a lunchtime car evac. 😳
    In my defence all my gear is soaked through with no hope of getting it close to dry in time, the weather is getting even worse and I’m not sure my light would last the 3 hours+ it would take me in the dark.

woody2000

I’m going for offroad mainly so if I do fall, it’s not into the road! I had a couple of moments this morning with traffic in pretty close proximity, I wouldn’t like to repeat it in the dark with people trying to get home 🙁

Light’s on charge!

LabWormy

You did better than me Graham.

Sideways and nearly off at the top of your street.
    Sideways and nearly off in Engine Dene.
    Returned home and got the train.

First commute missed this year – so not happy.

TPTcruiser

One overtake by a car this morning with a full slush splash catching me!

GrahamS

I had a couple of moments this morning with traffic in pretty close proximity

You’d like to think that in adverse weather conditions they might give us a bit more room – but no.

We “have no right” to be on the road in this weather (or any weather) so the logical thing is to express their displeasure by attempting to kill us.

I just don’t understand that logic – if I saw a child on a tricycle in the middle of the motorway then I’d agree that they had no right to be there, but I’d carefully avoid them not get as close as I could to “teach them a lesson”.

You did better than me Graham.

Sideways and nearly off at the top of your street.
    Sideways and nearly off in Engine Dene.
    Returned home and got the train.

LOL. Yeah Engine Dene pretty much set the tone for the rest of the N72. Wet slushy slippy snow with zero traction.

woody2000

My post was badly worded – when I said “I had a couple of moments this morning with traffic in pretty close proximity”, I meant I had a couple of wobbles/slips when there was traffic about.

However, I did also have a couple of close passes but not as many as I expected! Take care going home everyone, driving, biking or whatever 🙂

will
    Free Member

Well we even had quite bad snow in London on Monday, most main roads were fine however had to be extra careful of corners and exits from side roads. A few close moments so only did short miles. Tuesday was just as bad but mainly due to ice!

Wednesday and today and just muddy muddy roads!

bruneep

again, there are lots of non commute rides logged e.g a 142.07 km ride over 5hrs is not a commute by any stretch of the imagination. 🙄

will
    Free Member

Got to agree Bruneep, I have seen a few… Not really in the spirit of things.

Like I said before, I appreciate my commute isn’t direct, however it’s to and from work.

GrahamS

Thanks – I’ll take a look.

I don’t think I can remove individual workouts but I can kick people off the challenge if they are not playing fair.

GrahamS

bruneep: are you talking about this workout from Greig Brown?

That is marked as Cycling,Sport so it won’t count towards the Winter Warrior challenge.

He does have some others marked Transport that are clearly circular Sport routes. I’ve left a comment on one of them to see what he has to say.

GrahamS

Greig has withdrawn from the challenge of his own accord.

Not long to go now. The challenge finishes at the end of this month!

will
    Free Member

Well done Bryan 😀

GrahamS

2 weeks snowboarding and a week of childcare has taken a fair chunk out of my Jan and Feb totals. Was hoping to break 1000km but looks like I’ll have to make do with ~950.

woody2000

I was hoping to crack 1000 miles, but I don’t think I’m going to get there. I’ll keep trying though 🙂

TPTcruiser

Happy to have got over the 1000 mile mark with a week to go.
    Thank you Graham for making me do it!
    The amazing Chris Bolton has put on 700 miles in a week but seems to do it in really small steps of a couple of miles each.

will
    Free Member

So if Bryan stops now, I need to do 137 miles to grab 1st… Not going to happen!

will
    Free Member

Just a quick thought… Shouldn’t this challenge be open until 31st March?

tomlevell

Sore loser?
    :0)

Enjoyed that although Ice and work getting in the way in December and Snow in January scuppered me mostly.

How about a full year commuting one?

woody2000

I’m with will, the challenge was clocks back until clocks forward wasn’t it?

will
    Free Member

Year full commuting would be good! Can a challenge be set up and miles be added for time already past? if that makes sense?

I also thought it was until clocks went forward, and got quite excited when I though the clocks were going forward on the 28th Feb 😆

tomlevell

As promised I’ve created a new challenge on Endomondo, open to all you hardy souls brave enough to keep commuting by bike through the depths of the UK winter.

I wouldn’t call March the depths of winter ;0)
    Although it’s still a bit nippy out.

How about one during Summer or more commonly known as the “rainy season”
    I’ll probably do less :0)

GrahamS

Thank you Graham for making me do it!

Good work and you’re most welcome.

Well done everyone who took part. You have proven yourself Warriors, one and all 😀

Year full commuting would be good! Can a challenge be set up and miles be added for time already past? if that makes sense?

I think so. I know if you join a challenge that has already started then it checks all your existing workouts, so yeah it should work.

will
    Free Member

Felt like bloody winter again this morning 😆

GrahamS

Was thinking the same thing myself: -3°C, good covering of snow and an icy headwind. Lovely.

I could have run the challenge till end of March, but I think that would give the southern softies too much of an advantage. 😉

will
    Free Member

I’ve just been sent a link by Endomondo for 50% off premium membership. I don’t want it so does anybody else?

Viewing 39 posts - 161 through 199 (of 199 total)

The topic ‘New Endomondo Challenge for the Winter Commuters out there’ is closed to new replies.