Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • New DSLR user, where to start?
  • gravitysucks
    Free Member

Hey Peeps,
    Just got myself a jazzy new (to me) camera to play with but litterally have no idea where to start. I’ve always had point and shoot camera’s so having so many options is baffling me.
    Camera will mainly be used for family stuff but i’m wanting to get into lanscapes and action shots so I can take it out biking with me.

Can anyone recommend any books or magazines that are good for beginers?
    Also cotemplating doing a photography course if its worth it.

Camera is a Canon 450D.

coffeeking
    Free Member

450D is a nice camera. Hunt about online for tips on exposure. IIRC there’s a book somewhere called something like “the art of exposure” which lots of people recommended to me.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Double post

IvanDobski
    Free Member

I’d have a look on here.

It’s a bit like this place but instead of “what tires for…?,” it’s “what lens for…?”

5thElefant
    Free Member

Something not so obvious to add to your list: youtube tutorials (example…).

user-removed
    Free Member

Or here. It’s a friendly site, full of helpful types, very busy and loads of excellent tutorials.

It’s nothing like this place at all, so I heartily recommend it

😉

GaryLake
    Free Member

Just try and get your head around aperture, shutter speed and ISO – the three come together to give you your exposure. Then learn the 3 key semi-auto modes on the camera: P mode, Av mode (auto but adjust and priorities aperture) and Tv mode (auto but adjust and prioritise shutter). And it all starts to come together real quick after that.

Full auto should be avoided but P mode on the Canons is very useful giving full auto like functionality but with the option to override most settings. You can change ISO and alter aperture and shutter speed together with a wheel click, great for semi-creative pointing and shooting, there really is no reason to use full auto IMO.

Also, have a think about investing in an EF50 1.8. It’s the cheapest canon lens and while it feels restrictive having a non-zoom at first, the results are breath-taking for the money!

GrahamS

I found the free lessons by Jodie Coston at morguefile very useful when I started:
    http://www.morguefile.com/docs/Classroom

gravitysucks
    Free Member

Gary your on the money about my level. I need to get my head around the 3 points of exposure.

To let me explore a bit my bro’s leant me a few lenses so i’ve got the following to play with.

Canon 70 – 200 1:4 USM
    Sigma 28 – 70 1:2.8
    Tamron 70 – 300 1:4-5.6 tele macro

and of course the 19-55 IS kit lens the camera came with

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘New DSLR user, where to start?’ is closed to new replies.