Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 171 total)
  • new driving fines thingy
  • brooess
    Free Member

a step in the right direction – sends the right message at least.
    No doubt the ‘war on the motorist/what about cyclists’ lines will be trotted out again.
    But we do need more bobbies around to spot the offence if people are actually to be punished for their behaviour. Only when there are consequences will people change IMO

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Are people really driving that badly?
    Are you not all getting a bit ‘Daily Mail’ about this?

hels
    Free Member

Fining people based on their income is nonsense and impossible to be consistent, anything that means treating people differently for the same offence is manifestly unfair.

What next ? Have Actuaries work out how long somebody will live ? Big fat rapist who smokes gets a five year sentence and your fit healthy rapist ten years ?? (although realistically only 1% of them will ever go anywhere near a prison, but thats for another rant)

Then, to take that to it’s logical conclusion – Mr Mercedes Owner suddenly finds himself homeless and unemployed – surely the state should give him much higher benefits – as the impact on him will be much much more than Joe Fiesta Driver…

boblo
    Free Member

GrahamS – Member
    Like speeding you can contest the fine in court if you disagree with the officer.

But I rather think that when he takes you to his car and shows you a video of you demonstrably driving like an arse then you’re better off admitting it is a fair cop and just paying the fine.

Yes, but people don’t do they? Not just because they are bang to rights Guv, but because they can’t be arsed/can’t get to court/can’t afford the time etc etc….

I agree with your last para. If an appropriately trained and experienced traffic officer can properly judge the offence and show the ne’re do well what they did on video, they should be given the ticket option.

However, I’d be interested to hear how you think this will be resourced?

boblo
    Free Member

The Southern Yeti – Member

Yes, round ‘ere. They are selfish fkcers and should be gassed 🙂

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

It’s a tiny wee stumble in the right direction, but like everything else that the government thinks up it has huge flaws in it and is full of holes.

epicyclo

I’m never comfortable with instant justice.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I like the idea as it will save police time – however its not the punishment that matters here – its the chance of being caught which remains very low. I want to see much tougher enforcement of motoring law – zero tolerance

Edit – most car drivers break the law a dozen times a journey – but get caught once ever few years. Speeding, overtaking inappropriately, illegal parking, lack of indicators, tailgating etc etc

coffeeking
    Free Member

I’m not so sure it’s a good idea personally – I mean in principle it is, there’s dozens of people each day that I see that would get fined, but a) someone has to enforce it and b) it’s going to be very subjective – it’s not like “were you or were you not on the phone, check the records” or “were you speeding, check the laser?”. “Were you driving a little too close to the person in front of you…check the….oh, hang on”.

The whole problem with bullying FPNs is there’s no way to appeal without risking a much heavier toll. If the system were fair it would not risk you getting a higher fine just so you could present your case to a third party for a decision, instead they use the threat of twice the penalty unless you keep quiet and not question the officers.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I want to see much tougher enforcement of motoring law – zero tolerance

Like speeding, eh, TJ? 😉

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Edit – most car drivers break the law a dozen times a journey

most car drivers road users, and that includes motorbike riders, break the law a dozen times a journey

😉

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Mandatory retesting every 5 years would be a much fairer policy.

highclimber
    Free Member

while it might be a good idea in theory to cut down paperwork for the police for the ones they catch, it won’t stop those idiots that talk on their mobile, agressivley undertake, tailgate etc etc. every day I see an example of these offences occuring and I have never seen a traffic cop (or other police car) anywhere near when it occurs.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member
    boblo
    Free Member

Especially helmet denyrs… 😆

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I’ve started tail gating slip streaming people to save fuel.. 🙂

highclimber
    Free Member

most car drivers road users, and that includes motorbike riders, break the law the highway code a dozen times a journey

Double Edit

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I have never seen a traffic cop (or other police car) anywhere near when it occurs

Agreed – but at least the ones that DO get caught really must deserve it because they really couldn’t be concentrating if they don’t spot the police car.

EDIT: Good point hillclimber 🙂

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

TJ did say “used to be”. Try sticking to the point flashy rather than giving yourself an erection by spotting a potential flaw in TeeJ’s post.

jon1973
    Free Member

163,554 road accidents involving injury of which 21,997 involved serious injury and 2,200 deaths (2009) suggests we are.

jimster
    Free Member

As mentioned before, it all depends on the Feds being in the right place at the right time.

S’pose the feds will become selffunding after a couple of weeks. 😀

Agreed with what Surroundedby Zulu’s said.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

jon out of how many journeys though? Objectively.. those numbers really aren’t significant.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Agreed – but at least the ones that DO get caught really must deserve it because they really couldn’t be concentrating if they don’t spot the police car.

Actually I disagree on that – generally when concentrating on driving fast (not usually on public roads) I’ve no idea what the car is, it could have pink ears on – I’m concentrating on car control and traffic movements, the cars just become an object without colour or much more than a basic shape in my mind. If I was able to spot and recant the colours and types of cars I’d not be concentrating enough to drive quickly safely.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

So commiting a crime in the past is OK then is it? 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

A thought – if it were easier to hand out fines, would the police do it more often?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

So commiting a crime in the past is OK then is it?

Still struggling to stick to the point. How hard is it flashy?

GrahamS

No doubt the ‘war on the motorist/what about cyclists’ lines will be trotted out again.

Also on the radio this morning was Lord Robertson, chairman of the Commission for Global Road Safety.

The exchange went something like:

“Lord Robertson, some would point out that your commission is funded and run by automobile clubs and the motor industry and focuses purely on getting pedestrians and cyclists off the roads, rather than getting people out of cars.”

“Well it’s the pedestrians that are getting killed – not the people in cars…”

👿

Aaaargh! I’m going to guess that the pedestrians aren’t being killed by crashing into each other.

boblo
    Free Member

They’ll get the Highway bods to do it, PCSO’s or Dinner Ladies or sum such cobblers.

You won’t see any more Traffic Cops but you will see more fines. How does that work then?

jon1973
    Free Member

Mandatory retesting every 5 years would be a much fairer policy.

I don’t believe this will work. People get in to bad habits, but can easily behave under exam conditions. Re-testing after any conviction is a good idea. Why penalise good drivers?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

coffeeking – Member
    Actually I disagree on that – generally when concentrating on driving fast (not usually on public roads) I’ve no idea what the car is, it could have pink ears on – I’m concentrating on car control and traffic movements, the cars just become an object without colour or much more than a basic shape in my mind. If I was able to spot and recant the colours and types of cars I’d not be concentrating enough to drive quickly safely

So what you are saying is that you are unable to identify a police car when you are driving because you are concentrating on other things? 😯

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Well Lord Robertson does have a point.

As for the why penalise good drivers – show me a good driver and I’ll think about that point. Good drivers are few and far between, like Dodos

mrmo
    Free Member

@hels, variable fines and benefits are used in various european countries. So the ideas should not be so easily dismissed. If you earn 100gbp a week the impact of a 80gbp fine is very different to that experienced by someone earning 1000gbp a week.

As for the benefits argument if you are earning 1000 a week loosing your job and then living on 70 a week has a fast greater affect on life than going from 100 to 70.

Remember a driving licence is not a right, you have to prove you are capable, if you then prove unable to drive you should loose your licence.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

CFH – so what – unlike some on here I don’t bleat if done – I accept my fines and walk away.

Don’t be a hypocrite – if you want to speed than accept the fines if caught.

DezB
    Free Member

Yeah, I took some the other day of a driver using his mobile phone

Using a mobile phone isn’t bad driving. Bad driving is bad driving.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Don’t be a hypocrite – if you want to speed than accept the fines if caught.

Where did I say that I wouldn’t accept a fine if I was caught?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

coffeeking – Member

………….. If I was able to spot and recant the colours and types of cars I’d not be concentrating enough to drive quickly safely.

You are clearly not concentrating properly if you don’t know what is around you.

andyl
    Free Member

I think a mandatory retest at 5 years would be a good idea as long as it is a lot harder.

then you would be on a provisional pass for your 1st 5 years.

they also needs to include compulsory motorway lessons and possibly a test and I think basic car care should be included. I am not talking a mechanics course but just a basic – how do you check the fluids, how do you do a visual check of tyres, what should you do if this noise/shake etc happens – basically getting people to realise that if something is wrong it could be serious and they need to go to a garage.

We also need to get out of the mentality that driving is a ‘right’ and you need to prove you are responsibly and skilled enough. The standard of driving these days is shocking.

Oh and people who use phones when driving really pi$$ me off!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

In general CFH. Not you specifically

boblo
    Free Member

Here we go…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Ah, OK, understood, TJ. Thanks.

Also;

You are clearly not concentrating properly if you don’t know what is around you.

Spot on.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 171 total)

The topic ‘new driving fines thingy’ is closed to new replies.