Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • New driveway….what's best?
  • lodious
    Free Member

Looking to redo our drive, it’s only small (2 cars wide and a car’s length long). What’s the best to go for? I don’t really like block paving, so I guess it’s tarmac or pressed concrete?

thepurist

Or any sort of paving laid properly or resin bonded aggregate – and don’t forget the drainage/planning permission issue.

McHamish
    Free Member

There’s a common drainage issue in urban areas because people tarmac their drives.

There are ecological solutions, but they either mean gravel which can be messy, or some fancy porous surface which can be expensive.

Admiralable
    Free Member

What ever the local travellers offering to do the drive with happen to be able to get hold of at the time. Squashed mud and phlegm.

thepurist

@McHamish – or draining to a soakaway on site. But it sounds like the OP will struggle to build one 5m away from his property. FWIW you can spec a porous resin bound surface but it’s £££, as is a properly constructed permeable pavement.

MrNutt
    Free Member

don’t you have any old carpet?

lowey

If your a full on tree hugger try Grasscrete.

lodious
    Free Member

There is an existing tarmac drive, so drainage should not be a problem.

chakaping
    Free Member

I have gravel, it’s not really messy. Just have to sweep a bit back on the drive every so often.

It’s really unusual round here but was very cheap and easy.

Nice to hear when people are coming up to the house as well.

mk1fan
    Free Member

If it’s already a hardstanding – concrete, tarmac, paving – then renewing it does not raise any Planning issues. If you’re going to enlarge it then technically there could be Planning issues.

I’d recommend a resin bonded system. There’s not the smell of molten tar / fire risk associated with this size of works. There’s lees mess than concrete. It’s ready for use quicker.

However, regardless of the material used, if it’s not fitted/laid properly over a properly preped base then any product will be ppc.

ETA: Slow typing! Some points covered.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘New driveway….what's best?’ is closed to new replies.