Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • New Driveway time – Tarmac, Concrete Patern, Resin bound/bonded ?
  • FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Our existing tarmac driveway is really starting to break up. What to go for though?

We don’t like the idea of block paving as has to be weeded etc, and I have never seen one yet that hasnt sunk!

So all of the above are options. 2 doors down got theirs re tarmacked. It looked great for a year or so and then faded.

Concrete pattern looks ok, but maybe a bit shiny and looks like it has to be resealed and is susceptible to freeze cracking?

Which leaves resin? whats best resin bound or bonded? I understand one is porous and one not, but thats really about as far as I have managed to find out.

Any ideas on the £pr/sqm of any of the above too?

Thanks

thepurist

Most of the PIC drives I’ve seen have cracked – resin bound is the rolls Royce finish, resin bonded is more like an aggregate top dressing over a concrete surface. Both resin bound and bonded rely on the concrete Base for strength – our neighbours had a cheap resin bound job done after seeing our (also resin bouhd) drive, theirs started shedding stone and leaving bare patches, then started cracking where the builders hadn’t done a proper job.

So in summary whatever you choose pay for a proper job otherwise it’ll need redoing the same as cheap block paving.

Oh and resin bound is like a rrsin/gravel flapjack mix that’s spread onto a prepared base, resin bonded is where the resin is poured on then aggregate is chucked over the top.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Tarmac is the cheapest and most reliable. The others you may feel look better when new but…

deepreddave
    Free Member

Setts for me. Minor weeding required, marginal sinking and looks way nicer than tarmac. I can level the slightly sunk areas if I can be bothered but it looks fine as is.

I think I’m saying maybe reconsider? Cost wise I think setts were cheaper.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Two tarmac strips for the tyres, gravel in between.

timba
    Free Member

The most important part is the contractor. I don’t know about the resin options, but neither tarmac nor pavers look good after a bit of oil leakage, you can replace individual pavers. Of the four options, I prefer tarmac to look at

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Bump any more advice?

Stoner
    Free Member

Aco ground guard

Filled and seeded. Allows rain penetration, can be mowed over. Sound surface.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Aco ground guard

This, without a shadow of doubt.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Aco ground guard

I can see your point, but no 😆

Low maintenance too ! And would look odd a house surrounded by grass everywhere.

I understand one version of resin drives are porous anyhow?

arcing
    Free Member

We’ve just had our driveway relaid. Was orginially tarmac in a bit of a mess with big patch repairs which had broken up. We would have loved blocks, but it was just to expensive.

The kerbs on our driveway were high enough that they could lay a pretty thick layer of 6mm tarmac on top, and they’ve done a great job. They apparently spent a lot of time getting the weeds out of the old drive, but within 10 days the dandellions are trying to push up at the edges, so I’m going to have to keep an eye on that.

185sq/m for £8000 in Gloucestershire.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Don’t forget that if your driveway sheds water onto the highway then you’ll either have to apply for planning permission for the new surface (which won’t be granted most likely) or alternatively use a permeable surface (or fit an Aco drain or similar).

natrix
    Free Member

Lots of useful stuff on http://www.pavingexpert.com/home.htm

If you are getting a pattern imprinted concrete driveway, get this document from The Concrete Society http://www.concretebookshop.com/imprinted-concrete–model-installation-clauses-and-guidance-notes-4202-p.asp

flibrose
    Free Member

I do the resin bound driveways as a side business from my main job as an industrial floor layer. Printed concrete would require removal of the tarmac as would the block paving option. Resin bonded would shed lots of aggregate and you would carry this into your house on shoes etc. Resin bound meets all SUDS regulations and can be applied over your existing tarmac drive once it is dry and free from weeds and algae. Many colours to choose from. You must ensure the contractor uses a Polyurethane Aliphatic UV stable resin if you don’t want the colour to change over time. Epoxy resin is not suitable outside as this discolours and cracks overtime as it is not UV stable. Prices can range from £45-£85 per square metre depending on size of job and location within UK. Hope this helps

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘New Driveway time – Tarmac, Concrete Patern, Resin bound/bonded ?’ is closed to new replies.