Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • New drill
  • london_lad_liam
    Free Member

So hopefully have a few diy projects coming up santa claus too,so thinking about getting a manly drill!

i want something relativley compact for general about the house use (dont have any drill yet).if i want heavy masonary have access to an sds.

so figured 10.8 12 volt range is about right but want the option to do small masonary (ie a srew in garden wall)

shortlisted 2 below

boach gsb

https://www.buyaparcel.com/p/bosch-cordless-drills/bosch-gsb10-8-2-li-10-8v-li-ion-combi-hammer-drill-326117/

Milwuakee

https://www.buyaparcel.com/p/milwaukee-m12bpd-12v-2-speed-compact-combi-drill-driver-and-battery/?gclid=CPTrx9nektACFUWfGwod-EgGZA

(not sure about the ropey website :$)

seen lota good stuff about milwaukee amd also the boach gsr gsb stuff seems good bought my old man an 18v gsr and he loves it.Also gsb has loads of other tool body you can buy and use the same bateries with so that could be handy

i know these drill brands go in “fazes/fashion” like dewalt used to be alright but then fell off as far as i can tell

any thing else worth considering?

cheers

olly2097
    Free Member

I’ve got the gsb182li
    Personally I wouldn’t buy a 10.8, extra grunt is always good.

Id also buy a impact driver becuase they are wicked.

If you are set on 10.8 this looks good;

http://www.powertoolworld.co.uk/bosch-gsb-10-8-2-li-combi-gdr-10-8v-li-driver-twinpack-06019b697f?utm_source=google&utm_term=&utm_campaign=Shopping+Priority&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=sJxW5HBL9|pcrid|59507945055|pkw||pmt||pdv|m|&gclid=Cj0KEQjwhvbABRDOp4rahNjh-tMBEiQA0QgTGiiMLINukfwxndM3As8beENMOEehBpGgVsrMdz_LiFoaAkzd8P8HAQ

Saccades
    Free Member

Makita

It’s an indestructible awesome bit of kit, 2 batteries (even flat out I’ve never got the battery discharge rate as fast as the charger so always have power even though they are only 1.3mh), 3 functions (screwdriver, drill and hammer drill), 16 speeds at 2 different settings.

Well able to do all the things you are asking for in a drill, all day too.

ergonomically sound, nice weight and really holds bits well. Canvas bag has straps for the charger, drill and spare battery and mine has looks as new after ~3 years.

Oh, and cheaper than the things you are looking at with a good selection of Makita branded bits.

alanl
    Free Member

My choice would be one battery drill for driving and making holes on non-masonry, and one basic SDS for masonry.
    My ‘normal’ drill (for work) gets used every day for a lot of the time, my SDS comes out maybe 3 times a week – having one combi drill is a compromise, and it still wont get through some materials like conrete beams etc., but still have the wieght and bulk that you have to carry around all the time, which can be a right pain when you’re on your back in a ktichen unit, wishing you’d got a lighter/smaller drill.

nickjb
    Free Member

I’d go for 18v. You get more power and capacity for not that much more weight. The 18v lxt brushless Makita would be my choice. Great torque for screws, happy to drill masonry. Yes you still need to get the sds out for big holes but for a quicky it does the job.

RustyMac

I got this 18V li-ion Hitachi drill from screwing to replace a Makita Nicad that died after 5 years abuse.

So far the Hitachi seems equally robust, I know a few others that have the same one and haven’t heard of a failure yet.

Hitachi batteries are also interchangeable between the range.

THIS ONE

kayak23

Those Bosch are excellent. We have a demo from Bosch every year at work and I’m always impressed by the power in those baby ones.

dmck16
    Free Member

I’m running 2 Hitachi drills, 18v. Brilliant for the price. A few years old now that seen me through a full flat renovation, and are still fine from usual DIY use.

Old man is a joiner who likes Makita kit, although he was actually quite impressed with an Erbauer drill he ran a while back.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Saccades – Member
    Makita

It’s an indestructible awesome bit of kit, 2 batteries (even flat out I’ve never got the battery discharge rate as fast as the charger so always have power even though they are only 1.3mh), 3 functions (screwdriver, drill and hammer drill), 16 speeds at 2 different settings.

Well able to do all the things you are asking for in a drill, all day too.

ergonomically sound, nice weight and really holds bits well. Canvas bag has straps for the charger, drill and spare battery and mine has looks as new after ~3 years.

Oh, and cheaper than the things you are looking at with a good selection of Makita branded bits.

Yes/no

Yes – Makita

No – That one

It’s not a normal Makita, it’s their budget drill intended to be sold to B&Q etc alongside Black and Decker etc. the batteries do not fit other Makita tools, and it’s generally cheaper.

The one you want is the 453 which is the entry level proper Makita drill. It misses out some of the features of the expensive makita’s (it uses a cartridge motor rather than brush less for example) but for DIY use it’s more drill than you’d ever need.

It’s still available with 150piece ‘accessory’ sets if you want a one stop shop with most of the bits you’ll ever need/use. But I’d caution that
    a) drill bits are a disposable item, you’ll get through tens of 8mm masonry bits if you’re doing much DIY, but very few wood bits for example.
    b) what you really want is a second drill for using as a screwdriver, not having to change bits every 30s whilst working is a luxury.

This drill:
    http://www.screwfix.com/p/makita-dhp453rfw-18v-3-0ah-li-ion-cordless-lxt-combi-drill/7186f

And buy drill bits separately. For most DIY jobs you’ll probably want a multipack of HSS, a multipack of wood, a multipack of masonry, an extra packet of 8mm masonry bits (and a big pack of 8mm rawl plugs), and a set of screwdriver/hex/torx bits and a quick change adaptor. Any bosch, makita, dewalt branded ones are much of a muchness. But cheap drill bits are a false economy, I made the mistake of buying a big box of drill bits from screwfix (titan / erbauer?), the HHS bits snapped if you looked at them funny, or went blunt first if you were lucky, the masonry bits were good for 3-4 holes, then went blunt, the wood ones were OK, but wood bits don’t wear out so I’m not sure what use 100 of them is!

oldschool

A drill and an impact driver as mentioned above would be good.
    Screwfix

This will be plenty for what you describe.

jaylittle
    Free Member

Recently bought two 18v makita drills online from FFX. Bought the bare drills then sourced a charger from eBay and batteries from another site (3 batteries). A bit more hassle but all in spent approx £120.

IA

Just to +1 the makita 453 advice above.

Though I also have a 10.8 makita drill and impact driver, which are both also ace – though if it was only one it’d be the 18v makita.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

just buy makita.

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

Echoing the above, get a twin pack impact driver and drill. You will use the impact driver more than the drill once you have one!
    DeWalt, Makita, Hitachi, Milwaukee or Bosch Blue all of those brands are excellent.

cloudnine
    Free Member
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘New drill’ is closed to new replies.