Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • New domain names and 'parking'…
  • leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

I have registered some domain names for a future web venture and have them 'parked' for free with Sedo in the off-chance they will earn me a few pennies.

After registering the names and submitting them to Sedo I added them to Google to crawl. So far I have had less than a dozen hits in the past week, and was expecting more.

Is there a way to submit these URLs to a link-sharing service in order to get more click-throughs? Not too concerned about earning money off them, but if I can get them to work for me, then why not?

Any advice on this appreciated.

Cougar

Put some f'kin content on them.

john_drummer
    Free Member

or some tags

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

I would put something on them but I don't have the time, hence the question!

coffeeking
    Free Member

Google won't touch you unless you link to other sites and are linked to back. If they think it's blank/not dynamic they just check every once in a while. If it's not backlinked from other high ranking sites it'll be WAY down the search list. Not much you can do unless you put content on it.

Which I have to say I'm glad about, I f*$%ing hate people who put up parked sites and they get to the top of the search listings because they have some random search content repeated on the page, complete waste of my time and doesn't deserve to be at the top of the search listings.

And isn't parking a domain with the intent to re-sell later (holding someone to ransom) somewhat shunned these days, I was under the impression that numerous large businesses had effectively "recovered" URIs from cyber squatters for next to no cash as it was deemed unfair?

konabunny
    Free Member

The domains don't get hits because they're boring and useless, so Google etc are trying to screen them out.

parking a domain with the intent to re-sell later (holding someone to ransom)

That's not what he's doing.

clubber
    Free Member

It's perfectly legit to buy a domain name if it's for something you're planning to use in the future – eg if my lifelong dream was to start a bikeshop called Clubber Cycles then I could buy clubbercycles.com now and keep it until a time that I wanted to actually use it. That's what the OP said he's doing.

What would be wrong is if say Specialized hadn't yet bought a domain and I went and bought Specialized.com specifically to try and ransom them for it when they wanted it.

eckinspain
    Free Member

How many people just went to check clubbercycles.com? 🙂

clubber
    Free Member

😉 It was just an example! I already have a name for my future brand and it isn't that 🙂

toby1

Is it SealClubberCyles? 😛

clubber
    Free Member

Dammit, don't go and park that! 😉

highclimber
    Free Member

the way I see it is that its my property, like a house, and If someone else would like to have it then why shouldn't I be able to sell it for a profit?

MrWoppit
    Free Member

The company who borrowed $14mill to buy the world's most popular domain name has gone bust, unable to pay back the loan.

Sedo are currently offering it for sale. The name?

sex.com

Cougar

It'll be worthless shortly, when ICANN finally relent to allowing .xxx TLDs.

konabunny
    Free Member

the way I see it is that its my property, like a house, and If someone else would like to have it then why shouldn't I be able to sell it for a profit?

cos speculation is unproductive activity.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘New domain names and 'parking'…’ is closed to new replies.