Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 398 total)
  • New Doctor is a lady…
  • teasel
    Free Member

I was really hoping for Chiwetel Ejiofor.

His fee would’ve left us with plot lines involving only the Cybermen as it’s obvious their suits are actually assembled by the Blue Peter crew to save precious pennies.

woody2000

I always thought the Dr was an “it”, rather than a he or a she. So the fact that “it” now has a female form should be neither here nor there really. Problem arises I suppose because the Dr happens to have been played by a male actor for long enough that people assume that it’s a man.

I haven’t seen an episode of Dr Who since Peter Davison was the Dr though, so what do I know! 🙂

toby1

Awwww, was totally hoping it would be Phoebe Waller-Bridge.

Purely if she’d been able to adapt her Fleabag character into it too. That would have been amazing!

Overall though, I’ve never really watched it so my opinion is pretty irrelephant [intentional].

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Is this the thin end of the wedge? I fear for the future of Dr Scholl, Dr Oetker, Dr Pepper and Dr Dre.

derek_starship
    Free Member

I suppose she’ll change the noise the Tardis makes and demand new internal and external décor. 😆

molgrips
    Free Member

We were watching the last episode closely for clues.

At the end, when he sticks his hand into the snow to halt the regeneration, Mrs S reckoned it was a woman’s hand we glimpsed for a few seconds.

Whole last series has been stuffed with clues!

BobaFatt
    Free Member

There’s been a lot of talk about how it’s refreshing to see strong female roles in SCI-FI

Yeah……finally 🙄

mikewsmith
    Free Member

There’s been a lot of talk about how it’s refreshing to see strong female roles in SCI-FI
    Yeah……finally

Remind me again who the others were…

As the quotes about Obama and equality went, it will be a good day when your not asking how it feels to have a black/woman/muslim in a role

retro83
    Free Member

mikewsmith – Member

Remind me again who the others were…

middle one’s michael jackson, not sure on the others

toby1

middle one’s michael jackson,

They left the balcony out on that rendering!

P-Jay
    Free Member

To the posters who are correctly saying that as The Doctor is a shape shifting alien is makes complete sense for it to shift into a female form and how it doesn’t matter etc.

The only problem with that is that you’re using logic and reason, the people who think it’s such a terrible thing and “PC gone mad” or whatever don’t believe in logic or reason, they have something far more powerful ‘common sense’ and the problem with ‘common sense’ is that it’s just the mistaken belief that someone’s unconfirmed, unresearched opinion is correct, simply because they think it.

Cougar

The problem with common sense is despite the name it’s unfortunately not very common.

kelvin

Common sense often means a commonly held belief that doesn’t stand up to any real scrutiny.

footflaps

Common sense

An argument often used by the same people who start sentences with “I’m not a racist, but…”

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

I, for one, am appalled by the amount of common sense on display here.

unovolo
    Free Member

Try saying that in a scouse accent.

gonefishin
    Free Member

I have to admit that an admittedly childish part of me was hoping for a non white male actor just to see the reaction…

molgrips
    Free Member

Yeah……finally

So you’ve named three. That’s enough is it?

I think you’ll find the ratio is a smidge less than 50/50 in favour of male leading roles.

P-Jay
    Free Member

muppetWrangler – Member
    Dr Dre.

Forget Him!

P-Jay
    Free Member

P.S.

Whilst I think most of us are in agreement that it’s right and proper that this Dr can be Female without making a story about a time traveling alien unrealistic, as warm-blooded males (mostly) is it okay to say…

Not bad on the eye is she?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Dunno, ask your mother what she thinks.

johnx2
    Free Member

I fear for the future of Dr Scholl, Dr Oetker, Dr Pepper and Dr Dre.

I don’t think Dr Dre is a real doctor.

maccruiskeen

Yeah……finally

Interestingly of that selection the role of Ripley was written as a man. But when Weaver was cast they didn’t really re-write it, at least for Alien. In the subsequent films its more apparent the films were written with a female lead in mind.

colournoise

My only question is… is she a decent actor?

Only thing I’ve seen that’s she’s been in is Attack The Block and I don’t really remember her from that?

Man, woman, bear, whatever… Don’t care as long they write some good scripts and it’s well acted and produced.

Plus, for all those up in arms, it’s hardly a surprise. Moffat’s been flagging it for ages, they tested the water with Missy (and then killed her off so the Master can be male again to balance out a female doctor), and have been dropping hints all the way through the last series.

RustySpanner

derek_starship – Member
    I suppose she’ll change the noise the Tardis makes and demand new internal and external décor.

Well, you would, wouldn’t you?

I’d have a few bits of North Wales in a room off the downstairs bog.

Can you change the noise?
    If so, I’m having ice cream van, or Voodoo Ray really, really loud.

P-Jay
    Free Member

My only question is… is she a decent actor?

Yes, she’s really good in Broadchruch, but it’s very different to Dr Who, but they say her audition was excellent.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

If so, I’m having ice cream van, or Voodoo Ray really, really loud.

Decent shout but I’d go for either this.
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RY26KNRhbOA[/video]

or the opening bars of this:
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05pcczvmrjc[/video]

Cougar

they tested the water with Missy (and then killed her off so the Master can be male again to balance out a female doctor),

I don’t know why more people aren’t talking about this. I expect we’ll see Missy again out-of-time, but we’ve got a Master regeneration outstanding.

I didn’t rate John Simm at all first time around – much as he’s a good actor he was never really the Master for me. In this series though he much, much better, I thought he was great. And Gomez was perfect from the outset of course. I’m kinda peeved that they’ve killed them both off in one hit.

Unless Missy gets some sort of deus ex machina salvation, of course. We didn’t actually see either of them start to regenerate.

RustySpanner

Exactly.
    I suspect they’ll both survive, unless it’s a full clearout from the new bloke.
    🙂

Great pairing, very Sergio Leone at the end.

kelvin

Full clear out I reckon… at first… perhaps a reappearance of lesser characters once all the new guys are fully embedded. This one really is a full change of crew… not just the leading actor.

Cougar

That’s a good point actually. Who is left?* It’s a Big Red Button isn’t it. New lead, both companions gone, main antagonist gone, all we’ve got left is the TARDIS (and I really hope they don’t change the desktop theme any time soon, it’s the coolest it’s looked in years).

(* – no pun intended)

deadkenny
    Free Member

My fear for the next series is more with Chibnall running it.

1 half decent Who stories, the rest fairly bad, and then some awful stuff from Torchwood as head-writer (Cyberwoman especially! 😮 ). Interestingly the best Torchwood was Children of Earth series, which he had no part in.

Quality lacking basically, and this was the guy who ranted as a teen nerd about the quality of the show in the 80s.

Boba Fatt – Member 

[Janeway Pic]

Yeah, but Janeway was an insufferable stuffy school teacher character 😉 . All she did was moan a lot and say how disappointed she was with whichever crew member had slipped up that week.

Not a patch on Picard.

That’s not to say gender had anything to do with it. Maybe it was just being bald is key 😉

funkmasterp

Bring back that crap metal dog too.

The 14th doctor if I were in charge

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Bring back that crap metal dog too.

Yeah but it would be a cat now. It’s political correctness gone mad.

Cougar

Janeway was an insufferable stuffy school teacher character

I don’t think the character was the problem, rather that again it’s a scripting issue. You’ve got the cream of Starfleet at your disposal (and ok, a bunch of rebel mercenaries) and week on week you’d get situations where senior staff couldn’t fix something and at the 11th hour Janeway would come out with “well, have you tried this?” In trying to make her the star of the show they actually weakened her character.

Cougar

Something’s just occurred to me, looking at the promo photo lifted from the trailer.

Whiny fanbois aside and the fact that they’ve not even started filming yet, or that that’s a regeneration outfit rather than the new costume… Look at that photo. Really look at it.

Doesn’t she look like the Doctor?

The poise and the presence in the teaser, and she’s not spoken a word yet.

scuttler

She’s from Huddersfield so that Stavros and his robot mates haven’t got a chance**

“Ooh to be a Terrier”

** of understanding what she’s on about.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Just reminds me of Kate Lethbridge Stewart.

I don’t get the mysterious otherworldly eccentric look from her at the moment. More of a TV detective look.

Anyway, she’d apparently been asked if that’s her costume and she said no.

Cougar

Just reminds me of Kate Lethbridge Stewart.

Oh, thank you. That was my first thought and then I checked myself, “they’re both blonde women, stereotype much.” But they do favour, don’t they.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 398 total)

The topic ‘New Doctor is a lady…’ is closed to new replies.