Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 398 total)
  • New Doctor is a lady…
  • CountZero

If you can remember Tom Baker then you weren’t there.

Stuffed away in a cupboard somewhere is the ‘Dr Who’ scarf I encouraged my mum to knit for me…
    And as I said, I clearly remember the spooky first episode where Susan goes back to the Tardis and her grandfather in the fog, ‘An Unearthly Child’, and the episodes in the petrified forest on Skaro where the Daleks first show up.

chewkw
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart – Member

I now need to watch that

Who’s going to tell him? [/quote] It’s not a drama like The Episode? That’s no good what a waste of talent. 😯

chewkw
    Free Member

Will the female Dr Who become pregger? 😀

bikebouy
    Free Member

Purely going by a lot of the comments on the Women’s Tennis thread, this poor creature is going need bigger bazzomers, wear heels, grunt like a horse on heat, make up mirroring a Japanese Geisha Girl before any self respecting Male watches it/her/Dr Who/BBC1 before bedtime.

deadkenny
    Free Member

CountZero – Member 
    Stuffed away in a cupboard somewhere is the ‘Dr Who’ scarf I encouraged my mum to knit for me…

I had Tom Baker underpants!

thejesmonddingo

I had Tom Baker’s underpants!

Cougar

Still going to take something to get me to watch Dr Who again though, not enjoyed them for years now

How can you enjoy something you’re not watching?

Since the reboot, there hasn’t been an episode that trawls the depths of mediocrity like pretty much every one that came after Tom Baker, but I doubt many here can remember back that far.
    Capaldi came closest to the first, and to my mind the best Doctor, William Hartnell, but then, I watched Doctor Who from the first episode, and gave up after Baker, until it was resurrected.

Same reply really.

There’s an argument that the scriptwriting wasn’t up to much at times (Colin Baker was especially short-changed) but it’s carried on in the Big Finish stories and some of the stories are belters. McGann in particular is superb.

Cougar

Random humblebrag: Tom Baker once offered me a jelly-baby.

Cougar

http://newsthump.com/2017/07/16/fictional-time-travellers-dont-have-vaginas-insist-morons/

“The Doctor has a long history of not using his penis to resolve issues across time and space, and we’re confident that Jodie Whittaker will have no issues in continuing that fine tradition.”

samunkim
    Free Member

“Are you my mummy”

Well I might be

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Cougar – Moderator
    Random humblebrag: Tom Baker once offered me a jelly-baby.

POSTED 7 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

Admit it, everyone. Your first thought was…

jamj1974

I had Tom Baker’s underpants!

Tom Baker wears my pants.

Dr Who is a woman – great stuff. Keep breaking the barriers down, the fight is still real.

Drac

How can you enjoy something you’re not watching?

Well I’ve tried the odd one over the years to try it again and they’ve been rubbish so I’ve not bothered watching others.

There that wasn’t a difficult concept.

CountZero

I really don’t see why anyone could have an issue with a female Doctor, there are already two female Timelords, and it’s been made clear that a Timelord can change gender, Missy and The Master both alluded to it in the last episode, IIRC, not sure if they have any control over how the change goes, it doesn’t appear so from comments made by Doctors past.
    After Capaldi, who (ha!) I really think has been one of the very best in the rôle, it would be very difficult to imagine another male actor who could follow him, so I’m actually thrilled they’ve gone for a female Doctor, and chosen an actor who can do a variety of different characters.
    And it’ll avoid me half-expecting the Doctor to go all Malcolm Tucker at any given moment. 😀

P-Jay
    Free Member

So Nurse Who then Shirley?

Cougar

Well I’ve tried the odd one over the years to try it again and they’ve been rubbish so I’ve not bothered watching others.

There that wasn’t a difficult concept.

Totally. I tried peas when I was 6 and didn’t like them so I haven’t eaten them since. Though I often dive into forum threads discussing peas to tell people how disinterested I am in them.

Cougar

I really don’t see why anyone could have an issue with a female Doctor,

For me it’s an issue of timing as I’ve said before, and at that I’m nit-picking.

The Internet butt-hurt I think comes in two flavours:

The first is the inevitable fall-out whenever a new Doctor is announced. “ZOMG they’ll be rubbish, I’m never watching it again.” *watches intensely*

The second is “hi, I’m a monumental sexist, I’m totally down with the Doctor being a time-travelling alien with two hearts whizzing around space in a phone box, but having a vagina is stretching credibility.”

Cougar

Just throwing this out there,

Kris Marshall as Romana III, anyone?

deadkenny
    Free Member

[video]https://youtu.be/mSLXWXuch-4[/video]

CountZero

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The second is “hi, I’m a monumental sexist, I’m totally down with the Doctor being a time-travelling alien with two hearts whizzing around space in a phone box, but having a vagina is stretching credibility.”

This +1000 but said with “I’m not sexist but….”

Don’t think anyone can see the kind of doctor somebody will be until they walk out of the Tardis, the point about having worked with the team already it means they know each other well enough to define what they want from each other much quicker and know a direction they can work.

CountZero

Don’t think anyone can see the kind of doctor somebody will be until they walk out of the Tardis, the point about having worked with the team already it means they know each other well enough to define what they want from each other much quicker and know a direction they can work.

#Likes

Cougar

Sure.

Like I said, pretty much every regeneration has been met by “oh no, they’ve ruined it, I’m never watching it again.” It was ever thus.

Call me optimistic, but I’d like to think that the showrunners know what they’re doing and are picking the most appropriate actor for the role at the time. Eccleston was too Northern, Tennant was never going to be as good as Chris, Smith was too young, Capaldi was too old, Whittaker has too much oestrogen, plus ca change.

the point about having worked with the team already it means they know each other well enough to define what they want from each other much quicker and know a direction they can work.

… is a very good point.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

and speaking of the I’m not sexist but camp

Whats that men threatened at the BBC, all the male TV stars to be replaced by women, David Dimbalby being forced to wear a short skirt to get a new job? Roger Federer to be replaced by woman?

Drac

Totally. I tried peas when I was 6 and didn’t like them so I haven’t eaten them since. Though I often dive into forum threads discussing peas to tell people how disinterested I am in them.

Well that’s a mile off what I’ve done or even said.

The last one I tried was the start of series that’s just ended. It started off Ok but after about 20 mins it became it’s normal boring self. Still I might try the Christmas special but as I say it’ll have to be pretty good for me to continue watching it.

atlaz
    Free Member

Drac – to use Cougar’s analogy, you tried peas and keep trying them. Just stop it already man, you don’t like peas.

johnners
    Free Member

I’m not a big fan of peas but every so often there’ll be some new peas and a load of otherwise perfectly sensible people tell me how great these peas are and I think well, maybe they’re not how I remember them and I’ll give the new peas a go.

And once again I find peas are not for me.

Drac

Peas out.

slowoldman

So will she have a young man assisting her

I thought Bill was softening us up for an alternative approach.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Drac – Moderator

Peas out.

Give peas a chance!

jimjam
    Free Member

I’ve never been a Doctor Who fan, to me it always seemed like a kind of “wink wink” self consciously bad or ironic attempt at sci-fi. But hey ho, each to their own. Anyway it’s established that the Doctor is an alien who changes bodies right? So I don’t see why a female Doctor Who should be a problem.

Or has it been established that the Dr is a male alien? Does the Dr’s species of alien have traditional concepts of male and female? Are they non binary or gender queer aliens? Is this a male Dr experimenting with a female body for giggles just because he can? Either way I don’t understand why anyone would get too upset about it. It’s not as if it’s a female James Bond or Superman.

deadkenny
    Free Member

jimjam – Member 
    It’s not as if it’s a female James Bond

That’s on the cards.

Like with Doctor Who, enough demand for it may make it so.

Or studio execs just think it’s a good idea, like Ghostbusters which really wasn’t a good idea.

P-Jay – Member 
    Give peas a chance!

funkmasterp

Peas be with you.

I don’t see the fuss, but then again I don’t watch it. Alien that regenerates and they’ve stuck to it being a bloke for this long. I’d have had several women, a dog, a bear and possibly an Orangutan by now.

soundninjauk

[Russian Robbie Coltrane]I hear the new ‘M’, is a lady[/Russian Robbie Coltrane].

aracer
    Free Member

Interesting admission.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Well, if readers of the Daily Heil and the Faily Express are really upset that the most recent incarnation of the fictional character Dr Who is woman, then it’s mission accomplished so far as I’m concerned.

atlaz
    Free Member

Or studio execs just think it’s a good idea, like Ghostbusters which really wasn’t a good idea.

I didn’t hate Ghostbusters but it didn’t do anything for the franchise. Bad writing != bad idea. Could a group of female actors carry off a Ghostbusters reboot? Of course. Did they? Sort of but you can’t remake/reboot a film like that easily as so many people watching it are invested in what came before. Like with Doctor Who.

I’m not invested in Dr Who at all, let alone in having the doctor be a man. If she’s good and the writing gets better then great. The new doctor won’t sink or swim based on her gender (except where dinosaurs, misogynists or “traditionalists” are concerned), she’ll sink or swim based on the material she has and how she deals with it.

Earl
    Free Member

I was really hoping for Chiwetel Ejiofor.

atlaz
    Free Member

a bear

I’d have watched the episode when the doctor regenerates and in his/her initial confusion, mauls the companion to death then saunters into the tardis and hibernates through the entire series.

RustySpanner

We were watching the last episode closely for clues.

At the end, when he sticks his hand into the snow to halt the regeneration, Mrs S reckoned it was a woman’s hand we glimpsed for a few seconds.

Watched it a few times and couldn’t be sure, but definitely something going on.

Will have another look later.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 398 total)

The topic ‘New Doctor is a lady…’ is closed to new replies.