• This topic has 73 replies, 34 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by hora.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)
  • New disc brakes- recommendations please
  • hora
    Free Member

Loved my original Saint brakes. Decided on a change and bought new XT ones. Never really gotten on with them at all.

Recommendations? Strong enough to stop a fat lad.

Jimalmighty
    Free Member

Avid Elixir all the way

dan1980
    Free Member

Formula K24. There were some cheap ones direct from Formula, or Merlin have them relatively cheap for a set (approx £120-150)

Better than my old SLX, and good enough to stop a fat lad (me)

Bleeding isn’t as hard as people make out, and it uses the same nipples as Avid, so you can use that kit.

richmtb

New Saints, they really are phenomenal

hoochylala
    Free Member

I just bought from Formula K24s on a recommendation (currently have K18s). Got them for £160 from CRC. Option of 160 F/R and 180 F/R. Merlin price is £164 🙂

Bazz

I’m no lightweight (15st), and my Elixir’s are ace highly recommended.

dan1980
    Free Member

I just bought from Formula K24s on a recommendation (currently have K18s). Got them for £160 from CRC. Option of 160 F/R and 180 F/R. Merlin price is £164

If my maths is right, the “Merlin Accumulator (TM) Sale” gives you 10% off the Formula K24s, making them £148.49 but that is for 160 both ends.

RustySpanner

What’s up with the XT’s Hora?

Worth trying different pads/bigger rotors?

hora
    Free Member

I’m on 203 front/180 rear using Superstar pads.

binners

Never really gotten on with them at all.

I’m going to have that phrase tattooed on your forehead. Seriously. Its rohypnol in your drink next time we’re out sunshine.

After all; Its a sort of motto. A virtual Heraldic Coat of Arms bearing that legend that you live your life by.

For what its worth: Avid Elixirs. I’m fatter than you (apart from my head) and they stop me. And I caught you loads of times admiring all the pimpy white bits on my Pace. Get some white Elixirs planet-head 😛

hora
    Free Member

I wasn’t admiring your brakes, it was your womanly ass 8)

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I bet Hora has been accidently spraying GT85 all over his rotors. That’s still no excuse for using your knees for stopping! (how is it by the way?)

hora
    Free Member

Thank you for asking 🙂

Seeing the GP again tomorrow- bruising has gone down my shin/leg for some reason. Didn’t know that happens 😮

I was out on a roadbike this weekend though so actually increasing my fitness.

Solo
    Free Member

I’m fatter than you (apart from my head)

Mates, eh 😉

it was your womanly ass
    Hhmmm. Nice if you are a woman I guess, not so good if you’re a man.
    So, Binners, I hope for yoursake, you’re a woman.

😆

EDIT: Oh !, I nearly forgot. Brakes, XTR DCLs. Good enough for me, and what the brakes don’t stop, the scenery and other riders finish.

hora
    Free Member

Hows the smoking going binners?

Looking at bikeradar Formula K24’s are rated higher than Avid’s

binners

Male female? It is of no consequence. If Hora is admiring you ass… be afraid! Be very afraid. I’m terrified now 😯

hora
    Free Member

Remember the scene in Leon where the cleaner slips out of the shadows behind a bloke binners?

binners

Not specifically. Does it involve flash grenades?

Solo
    Free Member

LoL @ Binners

😀

Northwind

The Oros are ace and also very cheap just now, I’ve ended up with 3 sets. Fantastic brakes, cheaper for a set than anything better (cheaper for a set than one end of most things better in fact)

pinches
    Free Member

i had some XTs thought they were good, then picked up some magura marta mag SLs in the sales, and the performance difference is incredible.

mildred

Just got some formula megas for £150 including 203mm rotors, direct from formula in Italy. I’m 15 stone kitted & they stop me easy with little effort. Much easier to bleed than avid; beware of using avid bleed kit, I can’t get a good seal at the lever end and whilst pulling gently on syringe was pulling air in.

BadlyWiredDog

Why don’t you buy some of the new Saint four-pot calipers and use them with your existing XT levers? Economical and effective.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

are your xts for sale Hora?

hora
    Free Member

B.A.Nana yes if interested? Marking along the top(s) from the bike being upside down and circa 6months lame use.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

OK I’ll email you now at yourmums.com 😀

hora
    Free Member

This one: markhoracekuk @ yahoo.com

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

ok

stilltortoise
    Free Member

magura marta mag SLs

silly money on CRC

hora
    Free Member

Re my knee. Fork servicing matey just rang me up and said ‘you had too thick a fluid in the damper leg’ (well yes, its called night before a ride mechanics with whatevers at hand!)..

He even added that my forks would have locked out when I hit the square edged rock…

FAIL.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

well yes, its called night before a ride mechanics with whatevers at hand!

Remind me not to let Hora anywhere near my bike

hora
    Free Member

Or myself.

timmys

I just bought from Formula K24s on a recommendation (currently have K18s). Got them for £160 from CRC. Option of 160 F/R and 180 F/R. Merlin price is £164

K24’s are exactly the same as K18’s apart from the addition of the bite point adjuster – which you can retro fit yourself for about £20 a brake.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

OK,so I’ll say it. You’ve got to have a look at Hope Tech M4’s or V2’s because they
    have plenty of power
    have lots of modulation
    look good
    are easily serviced
    have fantastic support
    are British

cynic-al
    Free Member

S
    H
    I
    M
    A
    N
    O

pinches
    Free Member

stilltortoise – Member
    magura marta mag SLs
    silly money on CRC

I paid what they’re charging for one, for the pair.

hora
    Free Member

Why that much? Ran out of bikes to break down have they? 😀

bella
    Free Member

Hope V2

Have them on 2 of my bikes (224 and Blood) Never put a foot wrong despite quite a bit of abuse over the years. Not cheap but easy to pick up 2nd hand. The older moto leavers are at least as good as the current ones so you could give them a go if you can find them. Not the lightest but light bikes are for fairys and roadies.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

SLX piss on elixirs and XT servowave

neninja
    Free Member

Formula RX – replacement for the K18/24- powerful and simple – with 180mm rotors they haul the bike up very quickly.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/components/disc-brake-systems/product/rx-brakes-10-35528

http://mountain.bike198.com/review-formula-rx-hydraulic-disc-brakes-for-mountain-bikes/

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘New disc brakes- recommendations please’ is closed to new replies.