Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • New disc brakes noisy and vibrating through the frame
  • psyclone1976
    Free Member

I’ve had some brand new Formula Oro 18’s fitted to my bike and after about 2 hours of riding the rear one has started to make a loud vibrating noise. I took the pads off to inspect for contamination but they look fine. Now the rear calipers are too close to get the disc back in. I don’t remember pulling the brake lever while the pads were out!! Should they just push back with a bit of force???

Also can anyone confirm that copper slip/grease could prevent the vibrating noise is put on the back of the pads???

thanks

gusamc
    Free Member

I pushed my hope mono mini pads back with the round end of a flat ring spanner (as it fitted ‘onto’ the piston face – without touching anything else) – using the caliper itself as a lever point – force wasn’t that much.

Have heard the copaslip tip – ffs don’t get it on pads.

My hopes have a spring – a sort of upside down V that holds the pads out (on the pistons).

I’d probably exercise the pistons – use lever A to fix in piston A fully in, then apply brake, let piston B come out a bit (< thickness of pads) – push B back in – repeat a few times, repeat other side

gusamc
    Free Member

sorry < thickness of one pad

Freezie
    Free Member

Had this happen when I’ve tried breaking the pads in too hard

bassspine
    Free Member

are the pads shiny = glazed? use a bit of wetndry on a flat surface to get rid of the glaze, then wear them in again with progressively harder braking

abductee
    Free Member

I had a similar problem I had magura julies on a marin and they worked fine. moved them over to a GT i-drive and the back brake only made the worst howling noise. I tried all the old wives remedies and nothing worked. swapped the pads for another brand swapped the wheel and rotor finally fitted a shimano SLX calliper and it shut up. I think the resonance of the frame and Julie calliper were just a bad match.

theotherjonv

I had the same with an LX caliper on my Tinbred. Nothing worked.

Swapped out for a deore caliper and put the LX on to another bike.

Tinbred is now silent as is the other bike

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘New disc brakes noisy and vibrating through the frame’ is closed to new replies.