Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • new disc brakes any reason not to go for xt's??
  • Wookster

Taking off my elixirs can get on with them set up wise, LBS say go for XT's but some of the stuff I have read plus a go on my mates bike with them on has left me not massively impressed (might be his set up though :wink:).

I love my M4's on my other bike but was tring to keep this bike light(er) but reliable for trans wales meridas etc so want a fire and forget set up really any ideas please?

juan
    Free Member

Well you said it "reliable"
    In my book it equal hope. Plus xt's are fugly

billyboy
    Free Member

Just did a bike build for my girlfriend using XT's, mainly because of the weight/performance/price combo they give you. I was also put off a bit by the way new Hope brakes don't fit well on the bar with Xt shifters. I expected all sorts of problems bleeding the Xts after cutting the hoses down and reconnecting but they were ok. They've only done 200 miles or so but they have behaved themselves thus far with flying colours.
    On their showing so far I'd have no qualms about fitting them to my bikes.

vrapan
    Free Member

I probably sound like a broken record by now but I think XTs are brilliant. XTs are not very pretty agreed – though with XT 770 shifters are ok – but they are reliable, powerful and feel very controlled and well made. My opinion but I only have for comparison a pair of Oro K18s and Juicy 3s.

trail_rat
    Free Member

xts are great – and im puting a second set on my SS – id have bought hope tech x2 pro or what ever the carbon ti version is because i like hopes BUT i want to have the same pad on both bikes for endurance events – means i can stock pile em 😉

druidh
    Free Member

The only reason not to get XTs is that there is also XTR.

joemetcalfm
    Free Member

not made in the uk?

pnik

loving my SLX, XT similar but more spendy and a bit lighter. Approve of the buy british sentiment, love hope, but never got on with their brakes. although I beleive they are good again now.

My Shimano's have been great though, no complaints at all.

Northwind

Mine have been bang on, they make a little noise sometimes but that may not be the brakes, could be something else. But they've been completely reliable, one slightly sticky piston was easily cleared and cleaned, and that's it. The levers have taken a few real whacks too without issue. Otherwise, they've been powerful, controlled, all in all excellent brakes.

I think possibly I'd fit SLX instead now, but only because they seem to be almost as good, not through any flaw with XT.

organic355
    Free Member

What issues were you having with the elixirs as mine have been great?

gonetothehills
    Free Member

onion – Premier Member

… as above, but equally applies to SLX! 🙂 You'll be fine with any of it – fit and forget.

rob2
    Free Member

I've had a set of Xt's for nearly two years now and they've been faultless.

But I've also got hayes stroker carbons, which are also great and are bomb proof.

Now I like Xt's, and I like hayes, but which is better? Fight! ……………

Seriously all good, if price wasn't a factor I'd choose xt every time

RicB

I reckon all disc brakes are pretty much of a muchness now. You may as well choose based on looks and which ones are on offer at the time.

stratobiker
    Free Member

XTs are great.
    Plus, compared to some of the opposition they're so much easier to change the pads.

flamejob
    Free Member

Make sure you bleed them if you get OEMs because mine had more air in them than oil.

Other than that +1 to all the comments above, mine have been faultless through the Alps (where my Hopes bitched massively) and weekends of shuttling here in Spain

Whos_Daddy
    Free Member

2 sets of XT's here, great brakes, no probs! 😆

Wozza
    Free Member

I've had 2 sets of servo wave XTs and i've never bled them once. They really are fit and forget in that respect. After a year they still feel well made and work perfectly which is more than I can say for any of my mates Avids, Hayes or Hopes. Squeaky, bendy, rattly Hope levers especially!

but equally applies to SLX!

Absolutely true. My brother has a set of these, they look cleaner, cost a bit less and feel exactly the same.

Can't remember where I heard it but Shimano XTs biggest problem is Shimano SLX

bigyinn
    Free Member

onion – Premier Member

Is there actually much difference between XTs and XTRs? Other than looks and location of hoses / bleed nipples i cant see any reason for having XTR over XT.

pinches
    Free Member

i bought XTs because i couldn't justify the price of a pair of equivelant hopes.

GaryLake
    Free Member

I find any extra the Hopes cost, I've saved in not having to buy brake pads tbh. And they've literally been maintenance free for 2 years aside from a single pad change. My hope organic pads are totally impervious to the South Wales grit whereas I've happily destroyed Avid and Shimano pads in a single ride.

My Mono Minis are great but the X2s I've tried have been even better.

glenh
    Free Member

Best brakes I've ever tried (inc Hope, Magura, Avid).

The bite point adjuster doesn't have much affect though, so you might as well go for SLX, since they are exactly the same apart from lacking the bite point adjustment.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘new disc brakes any reason not to go for xt's??’ is closed to new replies.