Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • New DH Helmet
  • Tom_W1987
    Free Member

In the market for a new DH/Enduro helmet over the next few months as my current lid is shagged.

Keep in mind that I already have a Bell Super 2R, which would you go for?

1) 2017 Leatt DBX. Very lightweight and low profile due to the cone shaped dual denisity liner (which also improves safety by slowing the impact down in a more controlled manner) and the revised chinbar looks as well ventalated as a Met Parachute. I quite like the idea of the D30/Armourgel pads as well – for lower speed impacts – but would it be possible that these could cause stress risers on the skull during an impact? (see the below photos for what I mean) I could probably get away with riding in this on longer rides as well.

I’d go for the composite one though, which is still very light.

2) Giro Switchblade – the safest helmet is the one you wear right? This would probably replace both my Super 2R and the DH helmet for all duties except light XC rides – because of the removable chinbar.

3) POC Coron – Uses EPP – so I can perhaps bounce my head off the ground a few times – probably only lightly – before having to bin the helmet? I’ve heard that EPP isn’t so good at disipating impacts though?

Thoughts?

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

None of them, as they all look totally hideous.

D3 or Fox Rampage, both in MIPS.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

I’m actually quite fond of the Leatt – except for the rather large visor – I’d be tempted to retrofit the older visor.

The D3 is nice but everyone has one – I’m more concerned with safety. That’s the thing with MTB, everyone is concerned about looks – in motocross a lot of people have moved over to the slightly large 6D helmet because of the amount of people who have walked away from huge hits to the head whilst wearing them – and neck braces don’t get a second look, even begginers wear them. In the MTB world, you have to be fast apparently to wear the latter and if you wore the former you’d get loads of “bobblehead” jokes. Considering the data in a Canadian paper that I was reading, where serious neck injuries were about as common as serious head injuries in MTBers – I’m finding a lot of the attitude in MTB increasingly irritating.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    nach
    Free Member

The armourgel is pretty soft. Here’s a photo of it being squidged:

I believe Leatt are licensing the dual density shell design from Kali (who also put similar armourgel inserts in some of their helmets) and following similar design ideas in that a thinner shell exerts less leverage on your head.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Did you see that ‘thing’ Sam Hill had to wear last year? They must have paid him a lot of money for it. Looks like they are on 100% lids this year.

I’m sure the D3 is perfectly safe. If I trashed mine, I’d have no issue with buying another. The Fox is a bit large in comparison, but not offensively so.

The plain 100% lids are nice looking too.

No issue with any of them safety wise 🙂

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

There’s no issue with D3’s – it’s just that if a company has something different in regards to improving safety – that makes some sense, eg the cone shaped dual densitiy liner – then I’m going to buy a helmet for that and sod what anyone thinks of me. 😛 I figure the least selfish thing to do to my wife is at least get the best protective kit I can.

100mphplus
    Free Member

Checkout the IXS Xult too, DH/Enduro team I ride with ran them last year and everyone loved the helmet.

gonzy
    Free Member

personally i’d go for the switchblade…it passes dh helmet safety standards with the chin guard removed.
    if you land on your head you run the risk of neck injury regardless of which helmet you wear…if thats a worry then buy a neckbrace.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘New DH Helmet’ is closed to new replies.