• This topic has 2 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by kcal.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • New desktop advice……
  • Waderider
    Free Member

My 8 year old Mesh Pentium dual core is no longer posting and hence toast.

In the market for a new desktop. No monitor etc. required. Needs to be able to run Autocad, don’t care for games. Needs to accept a PCI express satellite tuner card so it can double as a Humax type device. It’ll run Ubuntu 14.04 for now, with Windows on a dual boot for autocad etc.

Question 1 – can anyone recommend a desktop to suit my needs? Windows 10 I assume.

Question 2 – can anyone recommend a barebones system to suit my needs? No OS required obviously.

I can go either way, I’ll know what I want when I see it! Budget £500.

Sorry for asking such a dull question, but I have totally lost track on where and what to buy now-adays in the world of desktops.

P.S. I don’t want a tablet or laptop, thanks.

deadkenny
    Free Member

For a branded system I’d recommend a Dell XPS desktop, but that’ll be pushing the budget for latest models. Might find a deal in the Outlet store though.

I’m no expert on other brands these days, but basically look for an i7, 8GB+ memory, decent independent graphics card, numerous expansion slots and a few hard disc bays so you can slap in more or change the default to an SSD but keep the existing hard drive for data (SSD for OS, hard disc for data). Unless you can find one that ships with an SSD built in, but wouldn’t be too fussed about that.

Don’t worry if it comes with Win 8.1, you get a free upgrade to 10. Just check the manufacturer has all the drivers for 10 or certifies it for 10.

Barebones then obviously up to you. Been a long time now since I’ve done one. I used to do them all the time, case, motherboard and build it all up, but it just got a faff and then I started getting out of date with latest tech. Used to have a lot of stability problems too and often juggling different components to find something that works together without crashing.

Linux adds complexity as you’ll need to check all the hardware has a suitable Linux driver.

kcal

My lad got a ‘gaming’ (was intended as a CAD graphics m/c) – desktop, custom build, able to specify graphics processor, power supply and all the test, from Scan. While we did have some issues (the graphics card blew) it was all covered under warranty. Not sure what they’d have for £500 though – IIRC his was nearer 650 – 750 sort of mark. But I think the was with a monitor (which you don’t need).

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘New desktop advice……’ is closed to new replies.