Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • New depths for a topic; Any Sparkies in? advice on storage heaters please.
  • duckman

So gas isn’t an option,it is fitted with dimplex storage heaters apart from two bedrooms where there are none at all. Can I just fit a couple of the newer types eg rointe? Any other suggestions for types or pitfalls,they will obviously be fitted by a sparky but I will be buying them.And finally,without getting too much into the whole thermal efficency pedantics I found when I tried to research them, are the new gel/clay/oil filled radiators cheaper to run/better that the cheap ones I can pick up?
    Thanks

The house was rewired in 2009.

spooky_b329

Do you have the heating on in the bedrooms? My parents just have a storage heater on the landing, hardly ever have the bedroom rads on in our house. Might not need them, perhaps a standby fan heater or oil rad for the odd snowy spell?

sharkbait
    Free Member

are the new gel/clay/oil filled radiators cheaper to run/better that the cheap ones I can pick up?

Not a sparky but I thought that electric heat was all the same. 1kw electricity = 1kw heat.
    It’s how you keep it in the house that’s important.
    Oil an alternative?

footflaps

Not a sparky but I thought that electric heat was all the same.

Except that with Storage Heaters you need to guess how much heat you want 8 hours in advance….

Horrible things.

Smudger666

generally with electric heating 1kW = 1kW so unless you are on a cheap night time tariff, storage heaters might not be the best answer.

Until you know if you get a cheap night rate/economy 7/economy 10 tariff, no one can advise you whats best.

brassneck

Psychic heating. But sometimes you haven’t a choice. An oil fit can be very very expensive, I’d only consider it as something for a keeper of a house, or as a calculated attempt to add value for sale (but you probably won’t, I don’t think anyone has ever asked about the storage heating despite selling two houses with it in).

I replaced a couple with my Dad (who is a sparky) and the newer ones were more effective and marginally cheaper to run. Biggest benefit was they didn’t look like some one was using them for kicking practice as the previous owners clearly had.
    Sharkbait has it right though – get all the energy efficiency stuff done with insulation you can, and they can work well enough.
    The second place we had also had an open fire in the sitting room, and to be honest this warmed the house through better, though I’ve no idea of the comaprative cost – we just kept the storage heaters on tick over aiming for around 15C.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘New depths for a topic; Any Sparkies in? advice on storage heaters please.’ is closed to new replies.