Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • New denplan dentist suggested I go private? Any dentists out there?
  • jsm

I’m looking for a new dentist after moving towns. I’d always been on denplan for the last 15+yrs. So went looking for a new denplan dentist.

The local guy I visited said denplan isn’t a good deal for me as my teeth are in good shape and really just the hygienist is the most important for me in the longer term.

He said denplan just add extra cost and don’t allow him to do anything more than required not preventative work. Saying that i was over paying and not getting what I needed. Is he right or does he just want me to pay direct to benefit him? I’m worried about the not known costs of future treatment.

jambalaya
    Free Member

There are a few dentists here. Personally, and only a client, I am very cautious of the way dentistry has evolved in this country. In other countries with private dentistry (like the US) costs and treatment are kept in check / managed by the insurers. Here its like the wild west. We pay substantially more than France, Germany, Belgium for the same work. My private dentist in Singapore (a Brit) charged about 60% of UK costs.

I’d be very tempted to stay with your existing plan.

paul4stones

Denplan is like an insurance policy that covers you for ‘routine’ stuff. If you don’t need much doing then it’ll cost you less just to pay for what you have done. Bigger or more expensive jobs shouldn’t be a surprise, ie the dentist will probably discuss with you first, and there are usually cheaper options.

Remember that you have control over how much treatment you might need (unless you’re one of the unlucky 10% prone to gum disease) – just don’t eat sugar frequently and brush your teeth properly.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Thought Denplan covers private treatment anyway, though can be offered by dentists that also do NHS.

Personally I’d believe him if he’s talking about the limits of what can be done under the NHS.

As for his view on Denplan, that will be because they likely have their own plan and would rather you are on that. Many do their own plans that are rebrands of the likes of Denplan anyway.

Main thing I get out of a plan is just routine costs and bit of insurance. It won’t cover big bills, but spreads the regular stuff. Hygienist of course makes most of it. You can look at them cynically as a pure money maker, but I do know the state of my gums and problems there and the hygienist is sort of worth it. Teeth themselves are fine, but family history shows me if I don’t keep on top of it then I’m looking at dentures.

paul4stones

Sorry, should have said, it’s all private unless it’s NHS which it isn’t here.

Basically if this dentist has suggested that paying for things as they arise privately is better for YOU then I would say that this is one of the good guys and don’t be alarmed. The alternative is that they enrol you on a Denplan or similar scheme, you pay a decent monthly amount and the dentist doesn’t actually have to do anything to get your money. I’m not saying this is what they would do but they could if they chose.

slackalice
    Free Member

I was very involved with Denplan during its formative years and was part of the senior management team at the time, I would say that I have a good and thorough understanding of what it is and how it compares to other payment options.

Denplan Care is not an insurance policy. It does however have an insurance policy attached for emergency and out of hours treatment.

Your new dentist doesn’t understand capitation. Denplan Care is capitation, you are paying for your dental practices time, within which, certain treatments are included. It sounds like Your new dentist understands fee per item. There is a big difference. The former, when correctly understood and applied centres around prevention and understands that at times, treatment is the best option.

Generally horses for courses, depending upon your dental health and condition one will be better for you than the other.

My advice would be to seek a second opinion from a well established Denplan Care practice and then make your mind up.

IANAD.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Like gyms, perhaps many dentists with denplan type things make money from the people who don’t go. But the dentists I know who do denplan are reasonable people who aren’t rich. For any third party payer system, like the US health insurance sector, 20-30% of the costs are going to be admin, profit and financial. Paying direct if you can carry the risk, and have an electric toothbrush, may be a good idea.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘New denplan dentist suggested I go private? Any dentists out there?’ is closed to new replies.