Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • New Defy Advanced vs. older Defy Composite ?
  • iainc

I currently have a 2012 Defy Composite 1, this one

and may have the opportunity to change to a 2016 Defy Advanced Pro 2, this one

Has anyone ridden both and able to advise whether the 2016 one will actually feel much different ? – it has ‘better’ carbon, updated Ultegra and discs.

I already have hydraulic road brakes on my CDF so know what to expect there, and also have 2015 105 on that one too, which feels better than the 2012 Ultegra on current Defy.

Current 2012 one has Askium’s and GP4000’s which are arguably better than would come as standard on the 2016 one

iainc

oh well…

TiRed

Well I can’t comment on going from a Defy Composite to an Advanced, but I can speak of swapping between an alloy Defy and an Advanced SL. Guess what? Geometry defines the ride and the difference, after adjusting for wheels and contact points, isn’t so great.

The Composite will be a little heavier (half a water bottle)! A little less stiff (I’m only 67 kg so don’t exactly hammer a frame), but otherwise broadly similar.

Contact points made of carbon and brakes will change the feel, but don’t expect. Night and day changes from a bike that is already an exemplary handler, I’m afraid.

iainc

thanks for that, pretty much my thinking too, but may still do it 🙂

The frames are a bit different, with the new ones having lower skinnier seatstays, which all the reviewers say makes a very comfy bike even better …

mudshark
    Free Member

How about consider getting a TCR and keeping the Defy? I now have both – 2013 Advanced models.

iainc

^^^ nice ideas but can’t justify 2 road bikes as already have a CDF30 🙂

TiRed

Justifying road bikes. 😆 i’d do it as a best bike as I think you would be happy with the overall upgrade. Just be realistic about your expectations and forget the review comments. Vertically compliant – yeah right! What tyres?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘New Defy Advanced vs. older Defy Composite ?’ is closed to new replies.