Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • New Cyclocross Wheels with the 3 Peaks in mind?
  • gus
    Free Member

Need a new back wheel for my Cyclocross bike and have a place in the 3 peaks this year.

Looking for something Cheap and strong. For £120 the Campagnolo Khamsin CX Cyclocross Wheelset looks good, but is it up to the job?

For the record the only time I have done the peaks before I no punctures or problems from my 2008 Specialized Roval wheels, but the new Rovals are a bit out of my budget,the Campagnolo seem much better value.

Candodavid
    Free Member

I got some aksium cheap off of here, hope they’re up to it?

sefton
    Free Member

used open pro’s?

gus
    Free Member

Open Pro’s were my first thought, but Campagnolo seem a good deal.

MrBlond
    Free Member

Got some Open Pros on Veloce hubs going spare…

clubber
    Free Member

If you’re talking about G3 type Khamsins (not sure if there are any non-G3 but…) then I would avoid for three peaks. Not because they’re funamentally bad wheels (though IME they are heavy for the money) but I’ve seen a rim go where it took a rock impact right between the groups of spokes (eg the most unsupported section of the rim). Maybe just unlucky but given the rocks at three peaks I’d be looking at a more even spoke patterned wheel.

sefton
    Free Member

would a campi hub take a shimano cassette? no?

clubber
    Free Member

Not as standard. You can get ambrosio (and other) cassettes that have mismatched campag/shimano splines/spacing to make it work though.

gus
    Free Member

Looking for new really not had a lot of luck with 2nd hand wheels, but thanks for the offer.
    You can opt for Camp or Shimano fittings.

benji
    Free Member

I’ve been battering a set of Fulcrum Racing 7’s round the races for the past year, and training on them offroad, no damage, bearings still good, freewheel still working.

If you are feeling flush the 5’s and quattro’s are also available.

somafunk

Have you thought about the Kinesis Crosslight CX wheelset ?, i’ve just taken delivery of my Kinesis Tripster ATR and it came with a set of these wheels and i’m impressed with the hubs and build quality of the wheels, the rim is a specific cx designed rim by WTB with triple butted spokes.

review on roadcc of the wheelset

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘New Cyclocross Wheels with the 3 Peaks in mind?’ is closed to new replies.