• This topic has 20 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by paule.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • New cyclocross tyres needed, what's good?
  • gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

After a good few years I’ve set my cross bike up again but my panaracer cindercross have perished.

Anyone suggest a decent allround tyre for mixed road/off-road riding, not really after a racer but nor An out an out mud plugger.

robgclarkson
    Free Member

in the best tradition of recommending what you’ve got; maxxis mud wrestlers are very good.. there’s 2 for sale right now on this very forum, not mine i hasten to add.

tommid
    Free Member

Challenge Grifo and Conti Cyclocross speeds here and both are pretty good.
    I’m surprised by the conti’s grip even in the wet and the mud

dovebiker

I would avoid CX ‘race’ oriented tyres like Grifos – they’re designed for speed on mud and have very limited durability / puncture protection for general trail riding. Also not sticking to 33mm CX width limit will mean you have more cush and grip – I prefer 38-40mm tyres for all-round riding. Lots of choice with the gravel / adventure bikes taking-off – WTB Nanos are fast-rolling for mixed use.

kilo

I use vittoria xg or xl seem to work well I do longish bridle way and single track rides as opposed to cx racing. TNT versions work well tubeless

BadlyWiredDog

WTB Cross Boss are a decent on-road/off-road compromise ime in 35. Bontrager CX0 work for hardpack and road and surprisingly capable on short stretches of soft stuff though rubbish climbing on wet, slippy grass. I’ve also run a Cross Boss up front and a CX0 at the back as a sort of halfway house.

All used for a mix of road, back lanes, gravel-ish stuff, a Peak bridleways.

righog
    Free Member

I have recently bought a Croix de fer, and all of my rides this year so far have been on this. I was expecting to change the tyres straight away after looking at them but I have give them a go and they are a brilliant mix for offroad routes with road sections.

The people I have been riding with have been swapping between road tyres and full on knobblies and have always found something to complain about on every ride.

So If your rides are a mix of off and on road I would highly recommend

Clement X’Plor

nre
    Free Member

FYI I have a pair of brand new Clement MXPs for sale, if they are any good…? See classified ad…

retrobri
    Free Member

I’ve been impressed with Challenge Gravel Grinders both on and off road this winter. Road, double track, bashed up lanes etc..

SimonR

Pleased with my Maxxis Ramblers – use them for a commute on mixed surfaces – surprising amount of grip even in mud and they roll pretty well on tarmac.

Struggled to set them up tubeless though so running tubes at the moment

SimonR

Pleased with my Maxxis Ramblers – use them for a commute on mixed surfaces – surprising amount of grip even in mud and they roll pretty well on tarmac.

Struggled to set them up tubeless though so running tubes at the moment

curto80
    Free Member

Just fitted some Hutchinson black mambas to replace some g-ones that I couldn’t get back on the rims in under 3 hours of trying (that was a long day out I can tell you).

Took 30 seconds to mount. Only done one ride but it was 100km on road and gravel tracks and they were lovely to ride.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

I have Clement PDX’s used them all season and have been flipping fantastic!

Bikepimp
    Free Member

Highly recommend Clement MXP’s for Gravel roads and PDX’s for muddy conditions.

trickydisco
    Free Member

have Clement PDX’s used them all season and have been flipping fantastic!

Ditto on these. The grip level is amazing for cornering but they roll very well. I have both tubular and clincher versions

The center knobs are aligned to give you a fast roll on hard pack and pavement. Side knobs offer superior edge control so your bike stays under you in the curves, and the leading edge of the knob gives you extra traction coming out of corners.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

If they will fit, I find 700×38 Marathon Cross a good all-rounder, especially on the road but very capable in mild off-road.
    https://www.schwalbe.com/en/tour-reader/marathon-cross.html

ferrals
    Free Member

PDXs are fantastic in mud, but for the OPs usage not that great – I find the edge knobs can slide on the front (I think they roll over) if pushed hard on hard surfaces like tarmac. For proper cx tyres an MXP / grift is versatile but I’d be looking at bang on trend gravel tyres for the on/off road mix

matt10214
    Free Member

I use Schwalbe Sammy Slicks, cheap and very reliable. Very good on Winter roads and Summer gravel riding.

karlsbug
    Free Member

Mini review

I’ve used On One Gravel Road for general on/off road. Good all rounder and quite cheap.

Bream
    Free Member

Has anyone tried the X’plor USH for mixed riding? Generally I ride my Croix say 60% tarmac, 30% gravel and 10% XC.

Finding my old 28c Contacts too harsh and want to up the volume to >33.
    Been offered a new pair of 33c Rocket Rons for £40 but although cheap am worried they are more XC than I want.

paule
    Free Member

Small block 8 work well for me, either as a pair or with a 28mm Vittoria road tyre on the back if it’s dry.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘New cyclocross tyres needed, what's good?’ is closed to new replies.