Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • new cyclocross build
  • trickydisco
    Free Member

Hydraulic rs685 brakes
    1×11
    bb30 > megaexo convertor
    H Son archetype + novatec hubs

Raced it at a very muddy cross race Sunday. Brakes are amazing! So much power and modulation. The chain didn’t drop once (ultegra mech). Will be gluing tubs this week for sunday’s race

This frame (56) fits me so much better than my old kinesis crosslight (54)

(the woodshed is a work in progress)

tang
    Free Member

Nice! Stroud? Sure I saw that bike there.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Nice.

🙂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    nemesis
    Free Member

Cool 🙂 I have the same frame!

trickydisco
    Free Member

Nice! Stroud? Sure I saw that bike there.

yep. didn’t enjoy that course much. draggy as hell!

Guessing purdown is going to be pretty muddy as well

trickydisco
    Free Member

Cool I have the same frame!

Didn’t know yours was the IP 105?

trickydisco
    Free Member

After the race

bikebouy
    Free Member

Niiice..

And you got it muddy, bless 😀

Keep us updated on the 1×11 and the s685’s..

trickydisco
    Free Member

The other thing to note is I used a 10 speed powerlink on an 11 speed chain and it works fine.

Used some old deore rotors i had lying around. they are pretty heavy. Wondering if it’s worth going for lightweight rotors?

scandalous
    Free Member

Lushness!!

Jamie
    Free Member

The other thing to note is I used a 10 speed powerlink on an 11 speed chain and it works fine.

Bugger. Just bought some 11sp KMC ones for £8 thinking my 10sp ones wouldn’t work.

Ho-hum.

trickydisco
    Free Member

Bugger. Just bought some 11sp KMC ones for £8 thinking my 10sp ones wouldn’t work.

Don’t worry.. i did exactly the same. Paid extra for express delivery from merlin because i wanted to race Sunday but they didn’t turn up in time. Seemed to work for me

Rik
    Free Member

Any chance you can post a link to the frame and forks?

How long was the wait posted? postage? customs?

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Nice build, glad to see you raced it and then took a picture of it in the house, excellent prioritization!

Proportions look good too, seat post to bars, to frame size, etc.

Stick some Dugasts/FMB’s on there and away you go 8)

DT78
    Free Member

Who did the decals for you? Look nice. What was the final spec and build cost?

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

What’s the stem attached to your seatpost for? (1st pic)

firestarter
    Free Member

Very nice

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

You were lucky they don’t use the wood anymore that use to be very interesting in the wet. 😆

trickydisco
    Free Member

Bought it from sublime cycles that import th and custom spray them. I know them very well and wanted to deal with them. I got a custom paint job on it which I’m really pleased with.

Stem is from my old bike. Its sitting in the table 🙂

Jason
    Free Member

Any chance you can post a link to the frame and forks?

How long was the wait posted? postage? customs?

I have just bought a very similar (although different) frame from China. I bought it via Aliexpress, search for AC059. Surprised at how quickly it got here, (it was in stock when I ordered, but for some reason took a week for them to post it) It was finally posted on 31/10 and arrived on my doorstep yesterday 3/11. Frame, fork and headset was £320 delivered. No bill from customs yet… When I have bought rims from China before I have always had to pay before the goods where released, hopefully I won’t have to pay for this one.

A bit of a gamble buying from China, but communications where good, and I am more than happy with the quality of the frame and forks. I am still waiting for several boxes of bits to arrive before I can build it up and actually test it out. Obviously future warranty support is debatable, but thought I would take a chance.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Wondering if it’s worth going for lightweight rotors?

I have XTR/Saint Icetech rotors using the same brakes.

So far, I have to say that it’s worth doing! Better braking than I had expected. Way better.

tang
    Free Member

Tricky. I hope you will bring it to our race in Gloucestershire in Feb. Just doing the last bits with the major sponsors. It’s on BC(Love Crossed)but full detail on 14th November.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Looks great.
    How did you manage to get hold of the brakes this early on?!
    Can’t wait to get mine

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Can’t wait to get mine

Had mine for about two months. 8)

Jamie
    Free Member

Had mine for about two months.

On a Specialized, I hear.

…although, I thought it was 3 weeks ago?

How did you manage to get hold of the brakes this early on?!

Ze Germans.

trickydisco
    Free Member

/\ Aye.. from that site as madison said I wouldn’t be able to get any in the Uk until the end of December.

They are incredible brakes. The lever feel is very good (have been told the sram is terrible).

cookeaa

Nice build.
    Did you bother finding a way to ‘disable’ the front shifter or is the LH lever still able to flap about?

trickydisco
    Free Member

Did you bother finding a way to ‘disable’ the front shifter or is the LH lever still able to flap about?

Nope. Left it there just in case i want to add a double for training

nemesis
    Free Member

trickydisco – Member

Didn’t know yours was the IP 105?

Actually I think you’re right. By the looks of it, yours is a development of mine – basically the same but with different internal cable routing and the rear caliper mounting has been moved to the chainstay which is better IMO.

mst
    Free Member

Dengfu FM059. Light bicycle rims. Currently wearing road tyres. Yes, it needs bar tape on it

D0NK

OP very nice, like that!

Yes, it needs bar tape on it

and the front brake cable/hose sorting and the sofa sized saddle replacing (not a fan of deep section rims either but personal preference) 😆 but I bet it’ll be nice when finished.

mst
    Free Member

and the front brake cable/hose sorting and the sofa sized saddle replacing

It’s an old picture. Hose is already sorted. Saddle will be sorted when I can get to a shop to get one measured. Need to find a shop near Cheltenham that does a try before you buy or swap type deal.

NZCol

I have just bought a very similar (although different) frame from China. I bought it via Aliexpress, search for AC059. Surprised at how quickly it got here, (it was in stock when I ordered, but for some reason took a week for them to post it) It was finally posted on 31/10 and arrived on my doorstep yesterday 3/11. Frame, fork and headset was £320 delivered. No bill from customs yet… When I have bought rims from China before I have always had to pay before the goods where released, hopefully I won’t have to pay for this one.

Jason – what size did you get ? Have been looking at these and was about to push the button on the 55

hoopyfrood
    Free Member

mst – Member

Need to find a shop near Cheltenham that does a try before you buy or swap type deal.

I’ve seen oddly coloured test saddles knocking around in both Leisure Lakes and Cheltenham Cycles, so they may have some you can borrow.

trickydisco
    Free Member

I know sublime cycles do a load of test saddles you can try out (based in Bristol)

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sublime-Cycles-Ltd/191331897724843

Jason
    Free Member

I went with a 55. The top tube is slightly longer than my current CX bike, which has always felt a bit short.

I went with the Matt UD option rather than one of their brightly painted frames. I am building it up as a road bike that can go off road and race cross, rather than a full on CX racer. This is how it looks so far:

trickydisco
    Free Member

very nice. What build are you going with?

spangelsaregreat
    Free Member

Hi,

Got the same frame last year direct from IPlay.

Trouble free transaction and it arrived in a few days with no import duties.

Done a fair amount of CX, commuting, winter/training bike duties. Can’t really fault it for the price.

[/url]Creag SCX by spangelsaregreat1, on Flickr[/img]

Regards

Pridds

If you’re,still after lightweight rotors I get a set of alligator Aries from xcracer for my roubaix and they’ve been great so far. Got a set of ti rotor bolts from überbike as well for the full effect.

http://www.xcracer.com/shop/viewproduct.php?productid=78

Jason
    Free Member

Ultegra Di2 with Light Bicycle wheels. Nearly finished now, but waiting on LB to send the wheels… In the past I have just bought rims from them and built them up myself, and they have always been quick to post. This time I thought I would get them to build the wheels – partly as I am going for a solid rim bed and it seemed easier to let the have the hassle of feeding the nipples in the rim. It seems to be taking them ages to finish, hopefully in the post on Monday.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘new cyclocross build’ is closed to new replies.