Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • New CX/Gravel/Adventure bike… Well, sort of…
  • mboy
    Free Member

I’m just calling it my FUN bike!

Have tried CX before, found the bikes enjoyable but limiting, and the format of CX racing just isn’t for me. But a CX bike, on bigger tyres, slacker angles, 1x drivetrain etc… Well Whyte understand…

Stock so far except for a 40c Nano front tyre, 35c Cross Boss rear, a 36T direct mount Works Components chainring and the PRO saddle. Bit miffed I couldn’t fit another 40c in the back, but it seems that in an effort to get the chainstays as short as possible, there’s only really room for a 35 in there sadly.

Plans for it? Successfully complete HONC in a decent time this year for one! Last 3 years have all been disasters (violently ill last year so didn’t even start, got lost the year before and broke the bike, had 3 flats the year before and got lost briefly) so hoping to improve that. Other than that, well just gonna use it for a quick blast here and there, rather than driving to the trails or getting bored on the road bike… 😀

robgclarkson
    Free Member

tubeless per chance? if so how was the Nano at getting “up”? (and yes, that’s a poor sentence, if i could be bothered i’d re-type it, but i can’t. which is silly really, as i’ve spent longer typing out this footnote than i would have if i’d gone back over my original effort)

lovely looking bike btw

mboy
    Free Member

Yeah tubeless, and straight up, no bother. Plenty of sealant in there, high volume track pump, straight up gave it a slosh around, and hasn’t dropped in pressure since. All good!

jmatlock
    Free Member

MBOY, That is beautiful. A proper interesting bike. Salute.

mboy
    Free Member

Can’t take too much credit to be fair, the bike is almost stock!

BigDummy
    Free Member

Saxon Cross Team, right?

Looks great. 🙂

rOcKeTdOg

Interesting seat clamp, not sure if I’m liking the integratedness of it or not

Dibbs
    Free Member

My Saxon Cross is over 3 years old now, I love it because it’s just so versatile. I did 20 miles off road on the Quantocks yesterday and 40 on road on Exmoor the day before.
    I looked at the new ones but the 1×11 put me off, I have RS685 2×11 on mine and use the full range of gears every ride.

Bregante

That’s really nice.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Cool modz.

Why the big tyre on the front?

Have you tried these tyres, honestly they’re ace.. I’m running them ATM on my CX’er and have to say it’s really added moarfun to what is already a fantastic bike.. (i’ve got both the 60 & 120tpi)

tyres pic.

cookeaa

How well does the nano/cross boss combo clear mud OP?

treklee
    Free Member

Love that bike Mark, keep meaning to come and see you but just don’t have the chance..

bikebouy
    Free Member

Here you go, my TCX Adv1 in full on “Gravel Grinder” mode (with those tyres i mentioned on..)

Trekster

Mine;http://www.competitivecyclist.com/ridley-x-trail-c40-105-complete-bike-2016 😆
    First ride out was a mix of road, Mabie singletrack, forest roads over to Dalbeattie for more singletrack and forest road plus a bit more Tarmac = 40mls or so. Really surprised at how it handled everything. Might have to sell mtb & road bike 😉
    Puncture on way to work on the road, suspect piece of salting grit!!

mboy
    Free Member

Well, finally christened it today… Long story short, been rather under the weather recently, but gave myself a shot of MTFU and took advantage of the glorious weather down the FoD today…

20 miles later, including a quick lap of Verderers and a trip over to Dowies, Shutcastle and back (surprisingly dry trails for the mostpart FWIW), and smiles all round! Got to get used to descending with my head down and arse in the air again though…

How well does the nano/cross boss combo clear mud OP?

Mega impressed! Cross Boss is way grippier than it looks, even in the mud, and seems to clear very well too. The Nano up front is incredibly grippy, except for in the mud (it just skates over the top), but gives you way more confidence than you’d expect of a cross bike on normal MTB trails.

Why the big tyre on the front?

Same reason I went for a bike with a slack head angle, long TT, short back end etc. Old habits die hard, I’m a mountain biker through and through.

I looked at the new ones but the 1×11 put me off, I have RS685 2×11 on mine and use the full range of gears every ride.

What ratios are you running? Typical CX setup is 11-28 cassette with a 36/46 chainset, which gives a 325% range of gears and quite a bit of overlap. The 420% of CX1 is awesome, but I’m used to it as I’ve been 1×11 on MTB’s for 18 months or so now anyway. Hit 30mph almost a couple of times on fireroads today, and hadn’t run out of gears, and the 36/42 lowest gear was perfect for spinning up some of the steeper climbs.

Here you go, my TCX Adv1 in full on “Gravel Grinder” mode (with those tyres i mentioned on..)

Looking good, how you getting on with the wheels? Got the rim brake version on my Road Bike and love them, have ordered the disc version for the GF’s road bike (when they come back in stock), may have to try them on my CX bike first though, if they don’t pinch the tyres too much that is (24mm internal rims on there at the moment, the 17mm internal on the Reynolds is a touch narrow by comparison).

Interesting seat clamp, not sure if I’m liking the integratedness of it or not

Works well to be fair, looks pretty neat too I think.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Nice! Cheers for the update. I sort-of want one of these now…

🙂

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘New CX/Gravel/Adventure bike… Well, sort of…’ is closed to new replies.