Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • New CX bike, to disc or not to disc?
  • geologist
    Free Member

Im currently thinking about getting a CX bike.

Just wondering wether or not to get one with discs. Id love to do the 3 Peaks, and the odd local cx race, but mainly it will be used for blatting around my local fireroads etc.

I just dont know wether to get one with discs or not?

I am liking the Boardman with discs, and for about 700 after all discounts, it may have made my mind up for me.

Any thoughts on cx bikes with discs etc.

Cheers

druidh
    Free Member

disc

sefton
    Free Member

the boardman is great value.

never used discs but having come from a mtb with hope m4 to a cx bike with frogglegs – they are enough for me.

theflatboy
    Free Member

i don’t see why you wouldn’t. disc brakes are better than rim brakes. everyone knows that really.

cp

If I was starting from scratch, disc.

oldgit
    Free Member

I’ll probably not go discs, but if I was to go on trails and thought that perhaps I’d like to stop at some point then discs.

The hardmen of the 3 peaks would be turning in their graves if they were in graves?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Discs. 2 reasons. Lack of rim wear and predictable performance

thomthumb
    Free Member

discs i’ve recently put a disc on the front of my cx and it’s great.

leggyblonde
    Free Member

discs.

the only reason not to is if you race and already have lots of canti wheels.

davetrave
    Free Member

The hardmen of the 3 peaks would be turning in their graves if they were in graves?

Interview with John Rawnsley in The Comic a couple of weeks ago, leading a decent sized loop over by Ribblehead on one of his 3PCX training weekends. At age 70-odd. So the originals are still going strong…

That said, having done 3PCX once or twice on cantis, I’ll be on discs this year – much better control on the descents…

IHN

Disc.

jonba
    Free Member

Discs.

As TJ says lack of rim wear means your wheels should last longer.
    Better in the wet and mud
    They are the future so they will be universal in the future.
    Easier to set up (although cantis aren’t that hard peopel struggle).

Cantis are ok, you could probably ride fine but disc are much better…

fontmoss
    Free Member

Discs, esp for your remit. Cantis are fine imho in races but knocking about on ‘proper’ offroad trails, particularly in the wet discs will be better. Plus you don’t wear down the rim or get that horrendous grit on rim sound

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

disc

andrewh
    Free Member

Dp

andrewh
    Free Member

Discs.

And even if you don’t get discs now get the mounts on the frame/forks, and probably hubs too, as you will want them at some point, probably when they go hydraulic. (do they do CX bikes with both disc and canti mounts?) A rim-brake rim on a disc hub should be easy enough to find/build.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

not a CXer but I now run discs on my commuter/trainer/allrounder. I’ll never go back to cr@ppy rim brakes.

Clover

Discs. Unless you race or like the smell of burning brake pad.

cynic-al
    Free Member

discs for all bikes except road race bikes IMO.

clubber
    Free Member

I’ve recently swapped my cx to discs. I won’t be going back. Aside from anything else you don’t eat rims and pads.

unless you’re a racer and super light weight may actually help or you’ve already got loads of spare cx wheels, why wouldn’t you?

clubber
    Free Member
    rumbledethumps
    Free Member

Ive got cantis and they’re sh1t. Wish I could!

flip
    Free Member

Disc and another excuse to post a pic of mine:

sefton
    Free Member

as gay as this sounds – I love the look of canti’s on a cx bike 😳

if your unsure just get the discs and dont look back

flip
    Free Member

Sort that bar tape Sefton 😉

sefton
    Free Member

got a yellow saddle to match now too 😛

fontmoss
    Free Member

out of interest what’s the spacing on boardman, kinesis etc rear disc hubs/dropouts?

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

135 on my Dirty Disco.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Ummm… Disc. Why wouldn’t you? Having had a Genesis with cantis, my Kinesis is disc only. Clean lines, superb power and modulation, predictable performance, no rim wear, easy set up (BB5s / Tiagra STIs – dead simple), loads of power – basically everything everyone else has said! 🙂

Kinesis Decade Tripster – 135mm at the rear so you can choose any MTB disc hub you fancy.

WillC9999
    Free Member

I have an Uncle John with Hope discs. Brilliant, stops beautifully quickly, controlled and with one finger. I use it as a commuter all round road bike and won’t ever go back to rim brakes.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘New CX bike, to disc or not to disc?’ is closed to new replies.