Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • New custom hardtail, fillet brazed loveliness!
  • alexdudley
    Free Member

Anyone have an opinion on my new frame, all my own work so please be nice!

Clink

Here you go…

AlexSimon

z1ppy

http://s1363.photobucket.com/user/oddball02/library/Oddball?sort=3&page=1

Finished colour is interesting, took a moment to understand why it was a Ti finish then a white finish (obviously went no paint, white, ti)

Was gunna moan about why you’d put a BB90 (or whatever stupid std) but I see you have an EBB fitted for flexibilty

Northwind

OOOOOOH. First glance I thought the straight lines and curves didn’t really work but that soon went away. Lovely.

AlexSimon

Nice work – finish looks great!
    I find the seattube/toptube/seatstay junction a little awkward, but then it’s an unusual design so it’s always going to look different.

How does it ride?

alexdudley
    Free Member

Thanks for helping out with the images, good job i’m better at welding than computers.

mattzzzzzz
    Free Member

Lovely that, well done with the work

kayak23

Really like that, very nice, stem detracts a bit 🙂 but yeah, lovely looking that. Nice one.

PiknMix
    Free Member

I love it, great job.

nicko74

Beautiful frame that; is it dumb to ask how durable the back end is?

26″, right? And what’s going on with the rear derailleur (or is it a tensioner)?

Wookster

Yep I like that mate!

matt_outandabout

How does it ride?
    (weedkiller is needed BTW)

househusband

First word that comes to mind is ‘clean’ – nice work!

ska-49
    Free Member

Absolutely love that! When will you sell it an how much? I’ll take first dibs 🙂

slackalice
    Free Member

Beautiful! I’m liking that a lot, nice work there chap.

What was/is your rationale behind the seatstays continuing to the down tube? Purely aesthetic or are they smaller gauge and possibly lighter?

The stem and saddle position give an indication that it might be a bit short for you, or do you like your bike’s that way?

acehtn
    Free Member

Very nice indeed.

fathomer

Looks lovely 8)

alexdudley
    Free Member

Thanks for the nice comments, glad i’m not the only one who likes it. The next one will evolve a bit but really happy with how it has turned out. Very safe geo, 18″, 71 deg head, 73 deg seat, 600mm top tube, 445mm chain stay, 305mm BB height. Only rode it for the first time yesterday and it rides real nice. I built it up with old bits in the garage so there are a few weird bits on it, when i have rode it a bit more i will change stem and bars to something more suitable. Seatstays were like it for aesthetic reasons originally, not sure if they will stiffen up the front triangle but i rolled them through a former so they are ovalized, thinner from the side to give it flex, wider from the top to give it lateral strength. Obviously not for sale and as for my weeds, your not supposed to be looking at them. 😀

shermer75
    Free Member

Lovely!!

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

very nice indeed.

fasthaggis

Very nice .

Was it a hard job choosing the cable routes?

I keep looking at the pic to see if there are any other ways that they could go.

alexdudley
    Free Member

I it was a bit, should have run the brake pipe up the seatstay as gear cable, but will run as much internal next time to make it look cleaner.

smg13
    Free Member

Love it and built by your own hands makes it even better well done nice clean lines, yeah just change the stem and bars when you get chance other than that top job..

Stiggy

That’s lovely, good work!

alexdudley
    Free Member

Nicko74, it is a 29″. I stripped my 26″ on one down for all bit bar wheels so chain is a bit short, still gets all the gears though.

MonkeyMechanic
    Free Member

Nice lines !!

bencooper
    Free Member

That’s very nicely put together…

john_l
    Free Member

Any drive side pics? Looks really nice.

TiRed

Lovely. I would have liked to have seen the chainstays and top tube in confluence, but the different look is very attractive,

Can you rotate your grips please, the logo isn’t level 😉

alexdudley
    Free Member

Looks like i have to build some for friends, so there should several flying around cannock chase by the end of the year, that will give me chance to try out a few things including a fat. Next one is for my brother who is 6′ 5″ so will be interesting to see how it translates to something the size of a 5 bar gate.

alexdudley
    Free Member

Rode it again today, it rides really well,feels quite stiff but not how i remember aluminiun hardtails. Must thank Keef, bumped into him on sunday and pointed out my tyres were too hard, totally transformed the rigid fork, not ridden one since 94. DOH!!!

mt
    Free Member

Really nice.

brant
    Free Member

thinner from the side to give it flex, wider from the top to give it lateral strength.

Seatstays bow outwards under load, so you’ve arguably made the rear triangle stiffer under load.
    Sorry.

(Edit :: It’s very nice though!)

alexdudley
    Free Member

Maybe, worked on the premise that it will move vertically a bit like a leaf spring rather than trying to deflect a straight tube sideways. When i say stiff i mean it doesn’t twist and squirm underneath you, it does feel compliant though.

_tom_
    Free Member

That looks really nice actually. At first I wasn’t sure but it has that balance of being unique without looking crap or too “look at me I’m so different” 😛 good work!

stevied
    Free Member

Very nice that 😀

TimCotic
    Free Member

You godda reeel purdy mouth! 😀 (ahem…and by that I mean ‘nice looking bike’)

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

next bike ?

alexdudley
    Free Member

Looks like someone bought a new tube bender!!. Not sure about the butterfly wheels.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘New custom hardtail, fillet brazed loveliness!’ is closed to new replies.