Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • New cooker time… Gas or Induction?
  • hora
    Free Member

Its probably made out of old slag’ 😆

molgrips
    Free Member

aluminium don’t work as they don’t conduct

Science fail. Aluminium conducts electricity better than steel. It’s not ferromagentic, but it’ll still get hot with an induction hob. Just not anything like as much because the magnetic qualities of steel concentrate the magnetic field in the right places.

You are right about alu pans but for the wrong reasons 🙂

andyl
    Free Member

perfect hob for me would be induction with a large gas ring for woks. Considered building a wok burner into my worktop to the side of the electric hob from a large gas ring and a gas bottle hidden in a cupboard and fitting an extra wide extractor above. Chickened out though due to concerns I might kill myself or blow the place up which was probably a wise move!

PS the word someone was looking for above was ‘induct’ not conduct. Aluminium will induct but there is something not as effective – they are working on getting hobs to work with aluminium cookware. Personally I won’t use aluminium anyway. Give me cast iron or stainless steel any day.

Stoner
    Free Member

Considered building a wok burner into my worktop to the side of the electric hob from a large gas ring and a gas bottle hidden in a cupboard.

Did the same in the folks house in mid wales – elec Aga not so good for steak 🙂

I can survive with a wok working at 80% perfection so not bothering with a gas hob in the barn.

andyl
    Free Member

Did the same in the folks house in mid wales – elec Aga not so good for steak

That’s where the blow torch comes in handy to char up the outside while the inside still wants to moo! 😀

enveetee
    Free Member

We switched from gas to induction in January.

2 observations

1. Obviously your pots and pans have to be suitable, but I have found some pots work better than others. Maybe a different percentage of iron or whatever.

2. Controls on our hob are touch controls. When you cook your hands get wet and the touch controls do not respond correctly. This is a MASSIVE pain.

Heating is instant on and off which is great

Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘New cooker time… Gas or Induction?’ is closed to new replies.