Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • New cooker arrived what amp fuse in plug?
  • postierich
    Free Member

Cooker has just been delivered but has no plug on it what type of fuse do I need to put in for safe use ?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Not sure if your being serious rich.

If no plug on an appliance its usually not supposed to be plugged in and should be hard wired via an appropriate isolator switch and correct appliance rated cables and breaker from cu

This is likely due to current draw exceeding 13amps

What does the manual say ?

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Check the ratings plate on the oven, anything over 3100w and you ain’t just plugging it in, it will need hardwiring. W=VxA

andyl
    Free Member

Could be a gas cooker that needs to be plugged in for the spark and fan. Ours is like that (could be a bodge though as we rent this place).

I have a stand alone commercial electric oven for curing parts in the lab which is basically domestic fan oven in a shiny stainless steel surround (can be removed and fitted into a domestic cabinet) and that runs off a 13A plug as it’s about 2kW.

But yes, a normal electric oven in a house is wired directly and is in a notifiable area.

postierich
    Free Member

Its a straight swop for a old one which had been plugged in but that got collected by the metal man yesterday!
    brown blue and earth wire showing!

Thought due to eu regs everything came with a bonded plug on electrical items

nickjb
    Free Member

Straight swap as in an identical model or its just going in the same hole? As above check the rating and that will tell you if it can run off a 3 pin plug, plenty can but plenty can’t and need to be hard wired. Usually coming with a plug is a sign they can be plugged in and without is a sign they can’t.

Flaperon

Posting the name and model number would be a help.

postierich
    Free Member

Its just the oven and grill the hob is separate!

[url=https://flic.kr/p/rx7Jxd]11070172_10153190545161474_6794701505131476758_n[/url] by Richard Munro, on Flickr

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Has it been supplied with a flexible cable without the standard 3 pin plug attached ? if so it will just be a case of fitting a 3 pin plug with a 13 amp fuse, if it had no cable then possibly hardwired, the simple rule is: cable sized to appliance load, fuse sized to protect cable.

lerk
    Free Member

2.1kW so 10A would be better…

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Just read the full spec sheet it does look like it ought to be hard wired ! odd that its supplied with a flexible lead !

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

Haha reminds me of my father in law wiring up the immersion heater to a 3 pin plug UNDER OUR BED! It was 6kW! Not like that “in his day”, apparently.

postierich
    Free Member

Looks like no pie and mash for me tonight STW fails me again

cdoc
    Free Member

Just googled the product number and found three sellers stating ‘requires 13 amp plug’
    It also says the same in the manual.

Stick one on and get your pie on 🙂

Edit: I did also find one that said to hardwire it, but that’s still three to one so far.

However, if you die I accept no responsibility.

rwamartin
    Free Member

13 amp plug is fine. It says so on the spec. 2.1kW = 9 amps.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘New cooker arrived what amp fuse in plug?’ is closed to new replies.