• This topic has 24 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by m0rk.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • New (Company) Car Time …Will I Regret Getting a Hatch Back (Golf GTD)?
  • nwill1
    Free Member

So finally getting a company car in place of my 10 year old Megan, I’ve never had a new car, never had a nice car and never had a fast car (all relative) so really fancy a Golf GTD but concerned that as a family man it might be too small.

I bike (obviously) and we camp, the Megan was a squeeze when camping but was thinking I’d just get a roof box. So looking for opinions.

The only real alternatives given the options are the Skoda VRS estate (doesn’t excite me as much and doesn’t seem to quite be on a par interior quality wise) or the Volvo XC60 (like the RDesign but would be limited to the SE, it’s a lower end model and cost ALOT more as a co car).

Am I being silly or will I regret not going for a bigger car???

m0rk
    Free Member

GTD Estate? 600L Boot, not much more per month

Currently making the same thought process

bol

GTE? It’ll cost you a lot less as a company car.

jimjam
    Free Member

nwill1

The only real alternatives given the options are the Skoda VRS estate (doesn’t excite me as much and doesn’t seem to quite be on a par interior quality wise) or the Volvo XC60 (like the RDesign but would be limited to the SE, it’s a lower end model and cost ALOT more as a co car).

If you’re camping and biking a slightly more mundane interior mightn’t be a bad thing. After a few months, some scuffs and stains you might not be so fussy.

We’ve recently gone from a twin turbo legacy estate to a 1.0 focus. Yes, I really miss being able to just chuck the whole bike in the back, but this time it was the wife’s choice. I think you’ll miss the space unless you can get a golf estate. Also, dynamically in real world driving I doubt you’ll notice much difference between a GTD and a VRS. I’ve driven them both and couldn’t see much performance difference. Also FWIW I think the VRS estate’s a nicer looking car.

MoreCashThanDash

The GTD hatch is a great car, but space wise you may struggle or need towbars and roof boxes. If there is an estate version, you are sorted.

Skoda’s aren’t as nice inside. But we are now on our third. I’d take space over quality as I need the space.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Depending on the CO2 rating in the future.

Could cost you a small fortune if the government moves the goal posts

m0rk
    Free Member

On my company’s scheme

GTD Estate £441.52 BIK £201.39 at 40%
    GTD Hatch £436.52 BIK £173.66 at 40%
    GTE Hatch £473.31 BIK £57.11 at 40%

GTE coming for a demo next weekend I hope

Drac

They’re tremendous. Plenty of space for a family took ours on our bi-annual pilgrimage to the West Coast with 2 kids, luggage, dinghy, wetsuits, clothes, walking gear as well as food and drink for a week. A squeeze but we managed. What it did do with all that in was blast up the Highlands overtaken with ease the caravaners and miss daisies.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Can you get BMW?

I put money on a 320d ED Tourer being cheaper on lease than a dull Golf

wallop

I got a new Golf GTD estate this week – it’s ace!

bigblackshed

The estate has vastly more room in the boot than the hatch. And it’s easy to go above the luggage cover, that rolls back, compared to the parcel shelf in the hatch.

The Octavia is bigger again.

m0rk
    Free Member

BMW 3 SERIES DIESEL TOURING (2015) 320d M Sport 5dr
    £531.17 BIK £240.68 at 40%

I’d take the golf every time

Better than the Honda HRV my wife actually wants me to get

Kryton57

I put money on a 320d ED Tourer being cheaper on lease than a dull Golf

I took my large 29er with me on a test drive of a (current shape) 120d msport. Fits fine rear seats down with the front wheel off, road bike goes in both wheels on. I’ll fit the roof rack if returning with a muddy bike. I’m paying £128 a month for mine on PCP, it’s a beast of a car for that money, £30 VED too, and I’m averaging 55 mpg.

It’s not a family car though, it’s a 2+2 wi a decent sized boot seats up, but it’s a lot more entertaining to drive than a golf (with the exception of that pictured above) in Sport mode, yet very sensible or even more so in normal/Eco mode.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

That’s why I said the 320d ED. Cheaper on company lease.

Kryton57

Sure – same engine, more space. Just more money for the car, I’m spoils as mine is just for me, we already have a larger family car so I didn’t need out and out size in the garage twice.

nwill1
    Free Member

Drac…are you referring to the GTD Hatch?

The Estate is not an option neither is the GTE. Got to say though although the eastate looks great in the image it looks a little dull in the flesh IMO.

BMW’s are a no. I’m also assuming from a tax stand point they’ll only put tax up on though buying if the CO2 is confirmed as higher than initially assumed!

db

What does the Seat Leon ST cost you. You can get FR trim which is GT like, looks good, between Skoda and VW quality wise?

I had a Berlingo, went for a volvo v60 and miss the space sooo much. The volvo is fantastic but trips to the dump, camping holidays etc are a pain.

I honestly would go for an estate if you can

m0rk
    Free Member

I was comparing the FR Leon ST… Stuff like the winter pack, xenons, the rims weren’t as pimp, sat nav were missing

Same monthly lease though, thanks to the lower expected resale

Very nice cars though

Drac

Drac…are you referring to the GTD Hatch?

Yup, sorry the hatch.

flashpaul
    Free Member

Not sure diesel is the best choice right now!

Kryton57

BMW’s are a no. I’m also assuming from a tax stand point they’ll only put tax up on though buying if the CO2 is confirmed as higher than initially assumed!

You know a new registered car is by default £140 from the second year any way? Why are bmws a no?

nwill1
    Free Member

BMW’s are not on the list, if I could have an estate BMW or Audi I’d be all over it…way above my station mind!!

v8ninety

Absolutely LOVE my GTD hatch. I’m obviously biased, but I honestly don’t think that there is a nicer (sensible) car currently available. Certainly not the overpriced jellymolds on offer from BMW. I like the Octavia too, but it would cost me £100 a month more than the GTD for a lower spec. Literally about to order its replacement; was going to be another GTD but I didn’t know that there was an estate on offer; that’s put the cat amongst the pigeons!

Will probably still be the hatch though as it appears the extra boot space would cost me £50 extra a month; I like it but not that much.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Big Golf / VW (and Audi) fan here. A new Golf will feel very much the quality product after the Megan. You will have to like the German stye interior though. I took a drive in the Golf 7 when it came out and liked it very much, but I knew I would, I didn’t buy one at the time as it was only 1.4TFSI petrol or diesel engine options. The Estate will have that little bit of extra space when the car is fully occupied but its main benefit is when the kids are not aboard and you can use the full interior space. I would double check what extra space you can actually use when the kids are aboard with the estate as you may find its roof bars/top box anyway. I use duffbags to carry my bikes inside the car and used to rent ZipCar Golf’s a lot, they where mostly GTD diesels and they certainly pull on the motorway and I had to keep careful eye on the speedo.

As an aside I found with kids we would fill the car no matter what the size, so larger car we’d take more stuff. That can be useful or it can be a vicious circle. If a top box for the annual holiday is the only time you’d use it proving it makes sense to buy one and store it then that’s all you need for the holiday rather than buying a car you don’t really need for other 50 weeks of the year.

Happy hunting

m0rk
    Free Member

I’ve got one coming this weekend for a four day test drive.

Kinda hoping it’s the wagon, and then a biking trip is in order

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘New (Company) Car Time …Will I Regret Getting a Hatch Back (Golf GTD)?’ is closed to new replies.