Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • New company car time – Mondeo estate?
  • Dansk1

Looking at next company car from a rather limited list and gradually narrowing it down to BMW 520D with nothing or a Mondeo (titanium X or sport) with seemingly everything. Anyone have experience of the new Mondeo? Looking at getting the estate for easy bike carrying, though it appears to have no rails so presumably just need new foot pack to plug into roof holes or something?

And yes, I know, BMW probably is a nicer car and has the status and whatever else, but I’m trying to be sensible and seeing more car for less monthly tax.

Cheers.

donsimon
    Free Member

Going back a few years now, my old Mondeo would be good for covering 500 miles in a day, and I could climb out freash as a daisy. Worth alot if you’re going to spend all day in the car, no?
    Can’t comment on the newer ones or the BMW, sorry.

Kit
    Free Member

I had an 03 Mondeo estate. It was absolutely humungous inside – wheels off, you could pile 2 bikes and kit in the boot alone without putting the rear seats down. And very comfortable as don simon says – main reason I bought it actually.

iainc

i drove a 59 plate Mondeo for 3 months last yr, while waiting delivery of a 3 series estate. Mondeo did everything very well, lots of space, lots of toys. BMW is smaller (3 not a 5 though), nicer to drive, less toys, a bit more economical.

I am pretty sure you can spec roof rails on the Mondeo.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

The Mondeo is a very good car if you look past the badge.

I actually quite like the look of the new Insignia estate too actually.

And the Honda Accord estate is very good looking.

Or – how about the new Volvo V60?…

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Not sure how the list prices compare but check the CO2 on both as the last 5-series diesel I had was very tax-efficient as a company car

RealMan
    Free Member

My dad has a mondeo, 09 or 10. We drove down to the Alps in it a few months ago, with 4 bikes and 2 weeks of gear. No worries, brilliant car.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Volvo seats are the dog’s danglies in terms of long term comfort.

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

I get to drive lots of differnet cars for work.Had a Mondeo for a day or so last year and it drove very well.

jumping_flea
    Free Member

I’ve got an 09 Mondeo Titanium X 140 hatch. Drives really well and all the kit is great. Have covered 50000 miles in it in just under two years with no problems. fits loads of kit in the boot and the estate is just silly big.

Kit wise they are great. Got heated seats, ipod/usb/DAB radio, bendy headlights, keyless entry and automatic everything else.

My only grip about them is the fuel economy. I am getting around 42 mpg over mixed city and motorway trips (boot loaded with test equipment). However my previous car (Vauxhall vectra) was doing nearly 50mpg. However, I think ford have just brought out an new range of diesels that are more fuel efficient.

Picking my next car this summer and the Golf or Passat estate are high on my list due to the bluemotion TDI engines

Stu661
    Free Member

I have a Mondeo Edge estate with a 1.8 tdci engine on a 57 plate and have covered over 150000 miles in it and find it a nice place to be and well equiped for the base model. Had a Ghia for 2 weeks before xmas with the 2.0L engine and found that even better.
    Can’t comment on the BMW, waiting to order my new new car and have been told it will have to be the new Passat as Ford are not willing to do deals with fleet companys.

br
    Free Member

Its a company car.

Just jot down your ‘wants’ and go for the one with lowest impact on your net pay.

Last time I did this (auto, aircon, 5 seater, hatch, CD), a Vectra 2.2i petrol auto came out cheapest.

Not going for my ‘allowed’ 5 series meant that I’d an XTR fund 😀

NikNak7890
    Free Member

Have you thought about the Skoda Octavia?
    It’s a fantastic car, and at a bargain price too.

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

I’ve got got an 08 Titanium X estate and its love/hate at the moment.

Pros-

-80000 miles and no mechanical issues
    -Extremely comfortable
    -Great spec
    -Huge boot
    -42.3 mpg (diesel)
    -Good handling and it shifts

Cons-

-Multiple electrical issues since 60000 miles, constant fuse changes for cig lighter when using satnav and bulbs blowing all the time
    -Dash board computer stops working in the cold??
    -18 inch wheels and low pro tyres mean its twitchy in the wet and worthless in the snow

If it wasn’t for the shocking time it gives me in the snow I’d have another tomorrow but I’m getting a Skoda Yeti next time

br
    Free Member

constant fuse changes for cig lighter when using satnav and bulbs blowing all the time

are these two things connected?

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I drove a friends 09 plate Mondeo estate (new shape one) up to Scotland from Manchester.

I was seriously impressed with the refinement, speed, comfort, size (mahoosive)

I almost regretted buying my Skoda Octavia Limited Edition VRs, I said almost….Its rougher, faster, firmer, meaner, quicker, not as big but big enough, more chuckable, as efficient, more toys, naughtier and cheaper to service.

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

“constant fuse changes for cig lighter when using satnav and bulbs blowing all the time

are these two things connected?”

I’m not sure, the Ford garage my lease manager sends me to don’t comment, my local garage say Mondeos are renowned for electrical issues; as it’s a company and not my money that pays for it it’s an annoying inconvenience, if it was my money I’d get rid.

I’ve had 7 bulbs go since September, ford ran a diagnostics and said it was fine……..

Cougar

I’ve got a 58-plate Mondeo Titanium, had it for two years now.

Can’t fault it, love it to bits. Happy to field any questions.

I had “dashboard computer” weirdness at first, fixed in a firmware update.

Cougar

Looking at getting the estate for easy bike carrying

The estate is very large (-: I think the integrated rails are an optional extra on it. I’ve got the hatch, with Thule roof bars and carriers. Works well. Can get a pic if it helps?

Dansk1

Due to stupid bloody car policy, I can only add options if I pay with my own money, hence high spec mundano sounds good. Except for one thing: mondeo estate with no roofbars as standard = FAIL.

Car list is basically BMW, Audi, VW or Ford. Standard specs for easy admin (want more, pay more). Passat estate coming to end of lease and I fancy a change.

Cougar, does yours use a clamp on system? If so, do the rubber pads scratch badly?

iainc

do you need all the space ? if you can get a 520D base you could get a 318d SE with better kit ? that’s what I went for – el cheapo tax, good economy, big in the cabin, boot not really worthy of being an ‘estate’, roof rails and 3 bike racks up top

Algore
    Free Member

I have driven both, and quite a few other similar cars.

I would go for the BMW everytime over the Mondeo. It’s a lot more refined, comfier and feels safer at high motorway speed. It’s also worth checking out what comes standard on the 5 series is counted as extras on the Mondeo. One of my colleagues once ‘loaded up’ his Passat only to find out his extras were the same as standard on my A6 SE.

Skoda Octavia doesn’t even figure in this conversation. Though the Superb might.

The new Passat is apparently lovely. Colleagues in Germany are choosing it over the A4/3 Series, but not the A6/5 series. BMW 2.0D engine is way better than my Audi and the Mondeo.

At autobahn speeds the Mondeo feels too light, German cars much more planted. If you have to lift off the gas when really trucking the steering goes washy and you realise you’ve driving too fast for the conditons in the Mondeo.
    I’ve been shocked how tired and stiff I get in rental Mondeos compared to my own cars or other rentals.
    Volvos do have the comfiest seat but seem to quite thirsty.
    As mentioned above BMWs are surprisingly good on tax.

I went for the A6 SE as it came loaded (update arriving now) and also it’s slightly easier to drive than the BMW- lighter clutch, gearbox and steering. Quite nice when you’re are tired and aren’t driving as smooth as you’d like. But I miss the old beemers and will most probably choose one next time

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I have a Diesel Mondeo Estate, really pleased with it. Originally, I didn’t want one (had one before and wanted a change), but all the write ups raved about it and scored it very high in all aspects except resell value (which you won’t care about). It ended up being a no brainer for my requirements. I’ve had it for 4 years now and it’s still solid and still drives nicely. The only small issues I had were some rattles from boot lid and back seat catches, but just used a bit of electrical tape on the catches to silence them. Obviously, there’s absolutely no kudos in owning one.

BigM
    Free Member

I’m just about to order my new company car. Similar dilema but Mondeo v’s A6 estate.

Doing the maths I think it’s the Mondeo Titanium X TDCi 140, don’t really see any point in forking out the extra cash for the A6. Just want a big comfy estate that’ll has the space for a bike/bikes in the boot.

I know some people love their cars but I’d rather spend the difference between the two on biking gear of family trips.
    Been a BMW owner in the past both 5 and 3 series, nice cars, can’t fault them. Guess it really depends on how much the badge means.

bruk

Have a 520D Touring and it is lovely in comparison to the Vectra I used to have.

Would be worth looking at a 3 series as well, won’t be anywhere as big as the barge that the Mondeo is but comes with roof rails.

Saw some problem with rain streaming over side windows making wing mirrors unusable on the Mondeo.

Dansk1

Time to sit down and write a for and against list for each. Then either sit back and reflect what a lovely problem to have, or have a cry that I’m looking at diesel mondeos at the tender age of 30.

Cheers all

BigM
    Free Member

Dansk,

if you’re 30 just get the fastest company car you can, forget everything else, plenty of time for that when you’re older.
    I had an S60 T5 at that age, paid through the nose for it mind, it was fun though!!

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Yep, forget being of any interest to the opposite sex and the conversations about cars with your mates will be punctuated by embarassing silences.

If you’re still unsure, the car will come with windscreen demister (patent owned by Ford), so this Winter (or any other for that matter) I never had to use a scraper once. Even if your windscreen has 4inch of snow ice glued to it, you get in the car, switch on the windscreen demister and blowers, drive away with a completely cleared windscreen in a minute(ish). That feature alone has sold Fords to me till the grave (or until the patent ends). I dred to think what a replacement windscreen with the elements in would cost me tho.

lodious
    Free Member

I’ve had a 2.5T Tit X estate for a couple of years now…I love it. Cheap as chips to buy nearly new and good fun to drive. As mentioned, computer does not like low temperatures, but otherwise it’s been good.

Dansk1

BigM – fast cars not allowed, diesel only with strict CO2 limits (at least for my level). Can’t moan too much though as it’s still much cheaper than owning a car.

Agree with everyone about how excellent quickclear screens are, surprised no other company has found a way around the patent.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’d definitely go for the toys. I love toys in cars. When you’re cruising down the M4 for the tenth time that month supreme handling in corners doesn’t make any bloody difference at all. DAB radio, climate control, multi adjustable seats and MP3 capability do matter, along with bluetooth hands free for those business calls.

. Even if your windscreen has 4inch of snow ice glued to it, you get in the car, switch on the windscreen demister and blowers, drive away with a completely cleared windscreen in a minute(ish)

What about the rest of your windows? Or don’t you bother? 🙂

I’ve got a heated windscreen on my Passat and I practically never use it. The blowers demist it with the aircon on, and I tend to be just as quick with the scraper which I need for the other windows anyway.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

What about the rest of your windows? Or don’t you bother?

The rear demister is very good (like other cars I expect), side windows, nar ****’em, 99% of the time you can wind down to clear them (there’s an art to that or you get covered in snow). Occasionally they’re frozen stuck and might require the fronts given a quick brush with the hand, I do conceed to being worried sometimes that the winder motors will burn out or wind down leaving the glass frozen to the rubber. Sometimes all the wipers need to be prized away from the frozen glass to work. 8) 😀 It’s all part of lifes rich tapestry.

ivantate
    Free Member

The new 5 series every time, even the base models have a reasonable spec. good power and co2 in addition.

Mondeos are brilliant cars but the 5 is engineered to a different level. you have merc to thank foe the decent prices on the midsize german cars, they released the new e-class at a far lower price point that bmw and audi were expecting and they have had to follow suit.

ivantate
    Free Member

The ford heated screens give alot of trouble in colder climates with delaminating and chipping/cracking very easy. iirc correct quite a few countries dont take them any more. Great for the UK though! i am sure you can get a heated screen option on the mini at the moment.

The bmw should come with a separate diesel burning webasto heater to help it warm up more quickly, not sure on the new ones but on mine the timer function is disabled for the UK market due to some old law. It ca be modified to work on the timer, other it comes on once the engine is started.

They also have an additional electric water pump that runs when the webasto does to circulate the water before the thermstat opens. You can use this pump to pump the heat out of the engine block when the engine is not running by pressing the max button on the console. useful for at the shops etc…. .

robbo1234biking

I had the same choice. I also looked at the Golf Estate but they werent taking orders at the time due to a tremendous lead time on them. I ended up going with the Mondeo as it cost less per month than the BMW for more car and had a higher spec.

Agree with the comments on fuel economy though struggling to get much more than 44mpg out of it but it is a company fuel card so not a huge issue for me. Pretty much everything on this thread is valid although I didnt have major problems in the snow

Cougar

Cougar, does yours use a clamp on system? If so, do the rubber pads scratch badly?

Yeah, it clamps to the top sill above the door. I’ve no idea if it scratches or not as I’ve never taken them off since. (-:

I’d definitely go for the toys. I love toys in cars.

The killer app for me is the Advanced Bluetooth kit. Press the voice button and say “dial number,” then speak the phone number and it dials it. Works really, really well, even with my “ey up and sithee” accent.

You can control the climate and stereo and stuff through it as well, though that’s less useful when the actual control is a foot away (though the voice select for radio stations works between frequency types, so you can say ‘planet rock’ and it’ll switch back to your station on DAB after you’ve ham-fisted your way into Long Wave).

hora
    Free Member

OP what is the %£ difference a month between the Ford and the Beemer?

Personally if its <20% I’d go for the Beemer.

I still see Mondeo’s as rep/Taxi’s.

(and I drive a lowly Focus).

JEngledow
    Free Member

I picked up my new Mondeo Titanium X hatchback on wed and (so far) it’s a lovely car, my mates have given me some stick for having an old mans car (I’m only 27), but its really comfy on the motorway and will pull up its socks enough to be interesting on smaller roads. The boot is huge (even on the hatchback) and the Sony DAB radio is great as is the built in bluetooth phone system although the button start is gonna take a bit of getting used to.

Nick

If careful I can get 50mpg out of my 08 2.0 TDi Mondeo Edge, it’s easy to do, stick the cruise on at 75 on the motorway, without trying it’s currently showing 47.9, guess it’s not weighed down by all the gadgets on the posher models, plus I don’t drive like a ****.

Agree with pretty much everything else, I had the fuse blowing thing but if you’re careful when plugging stuff in to the cigar lighter then it is ok.

Steel wheels and ordinary tyres on mine, was great in the snow.

hora
    Free Member

BMW would feel more special 8)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘New company car time – Mondeo estate?’ is closed to new replies.