Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • New commuter dilemma
  • Pz_Steve

Hi folks,

Looking at getting a new commuter… currently riding a Salsa Fargo which is an ace bike, but I want something a little faster.

My commute is 27 miles (round trip) with a little over 400m of climbing (mostly in a few steep meaty climbs, rather than just constant up-and-down). There’s a couple of miles through town, maybe 8 miles on b-roads and the rest is (bumpy, crud-coated, slimy) back lanes.

Requirements are:
    Discs
    Can take a rack and guards
    Sensible gearing so an old chuffer like me can cope with the climbs but still blast back down
    Able to cope with year-round commuting without having to constantly fettle
    Not too heavy

I know there are loads of CX bikes out there, but I think I want something a little racier.

My current shortlist is: Whyte Suffolk (or Dorset if I’m being sensible), Genesis CdA20, or Ridgeback Advance 7.0.

Anyone with experience of these? Comparable experience with the Salsa would be great. And what have I missed? I think £1200 would be the absolute limit. Under a grand would be easier to swallow / justify!!

Thanks very much for your help, and sorry for yet another “what bike” thread!

Steve

Ioneonic

I’ve got a Fargo and would have thought a nice bike if I wanted a bit more speed / easier hills would be the GT Grade. I’ve not ridden it myself but well reviewed and ticks all your boxes. Currently a great price on some models at Sunset (I’ve never used them/have no links with them) and 10% off all models in addition with the code on the front page:

Grade X would come in just over £1200 with all the discounts
    http://www.sunsetmtb.co.uk/shop/index.php?product_id=3193

Grade 105 would be £900 (for me, at this price, this is the pick)

Grade Tiagra would be £720

All very keenly priced…..

Which Fargo do you have? If selling I might be interested in upgrading mine…..!

Daffy

I’ve just replaced a Genesis Day One Alfine 11 with a Niner RLT9. It’s a Gravel bike, with discs, rack and guard mounts.

I can fire up some pics at the weekend when it’s completed.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘New commuter dilemma’ is closed to new replies.