Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • New Co-op ad tune – bizarre choice
  • rascal
    Free Member

Duelling Banjos.
    Of all the songs in all the world, why the fewk did they pick one synonymous with ‘Deliverance’ – the film (great though it is) best known for ‘strange’ people and a fat bloke made to ‘squeeeaaallll like a pig, boy!’
    Maybe it’s just me who thinks it’s an odd choice…

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Our local co has changed its name to budgens. A bizarre name indeed.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

a fat bloke made to ‘squeeeaaallll like a pig, boy!’

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    cheekyboy
    Free Member

My Local Kwop would allay that thought

CountZero

Not if you were to see the clientele of my local quop…

RobHilton
    Free Member

Pigboy, earlier

Cletus
    Free Member

Not seen the ad but I love my local co-op although frustratingly they stop selling beer at 10pm yet close at 11pm.

My favourite tipple from there is Arkell’s Moonlight – a golden ale with an interesting back story

“Originally brewed as a special in 2003 to celebrate the 80th birthday of Peter Arkell OBE, father of the present Chairman James. The name moonlight portrays Peter’s missions flying low-level sorties over France in 1943, picking up agents in occupied territory using the moon to land. The label on the bottle has a Lysander plane on it, which Peter Arkell actually flew in. Now a regular beer, Moonlight has a golden auburn colour with a warm toasty aroma and distinctive citrus hoppy flavour from Celeia hops. “

[video]https://youtu.be/PIZ1-sKbl74[/video]

lllnorrislll
    Free Member

Any suttle swearing in this one??

[video]https://youtu.be/j3InTR2D3NY[/video]

DezB
    Free Member

Not if you were to see the clientele of my local quop…

Sameear!

I’ve got a new quop near work and was just saying the other day how odd it is darn there.
    I think it’s actually in the nearest shopping centre for Paulsgrove (infamous for an attack on a paedo’s house. Paediatrician, that is.)

Rubber_Buccaneer

Deliverance was made in 1972, you have to be getting on a bit to make the association. I am getting on a bit 🙁

DezB
    Free Member

Young people can’t see old films?

Rubber_Buccaneer

Why would they want to watch that crusty old shit?

Watch something new grandpa 🙂

aracer
    Free Member

[video]https://youtu.be/zPsYR8NK2-A[/video]

Don’t see the problem myself – hasn’t it been rearranged a bit to fit the ad, so it doesn’t really suggest Deliverance anyway? It misses out all but a couple of seconds of the actual duelling. And i am old enough that the full version would make me think of that.

hexhamstu
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsC4kf6x_Q0[/video]

johnx2
    Free Member

Actually, based on conversations with selected teenagers I occasionally bump into in my kitchen, the association of the “dada lang dang dang…, duda long dang dong” music with hillbillies and the line “squeal like a pig bwoy!” has memed itself well into modern young folk popular culture, well beyond the original film.

I haven’t seen the Coop ad, yet here I am talking about it. Clever advertising folk. Must pick up a bottle of fair trade cabernet on the the way home…

johnx2
    Free Member

Also, I remember hearing john boorman, the director intervieed. They happened across the kid with the old man face when shooting, and decided he had to be in it even though he couldn’t play the banjo (the scene is actually in the book pretty much as shot), so there’s a guy behind him doing the actual playing. I think.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘New Co-op ad tune – bizarre choice’ is closed to new replies.